Archives Economy Politics

U.S. releases documents recovered in Osama bin Laden raid

…As NLC continues to blame oil cabal for persisting fuel scarcity

The United States yesterday in Washington released a list of now declassified documents recovered during the 2011 raid on al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden’s compound in Pakistan.

The Office of the Director of National Intelligence said the list of documents contained hundreds of letters to family members and associates as well as statements on anti-government demonstrations in Egypt. It said the documents include the wars in Afghanistan, Iraq and other current events and series of list of reading materials found in the compound.

It said these included the U.S. government-commissioned report on the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, indictments against terrorist suspects, a book by Noam Chomsky and dozens of English-language books dealing with conspiracy theories. It said the documents also included 19 publications about France and notes on the German economy.

It said President Barack Obama has called for the intelligence community to review documents for release, as part of a bid to increase transparency within the intelligence community. The office said hundreds of more documents would also be reviewed for possible release.

“All documents whose publication will not hurt ongoing operations against al-Qaeda or their affiliates will be released,” it added.

Bin Laden was killed in the May 2011 raid by US. Navy Seals on the compound where he had been hiding in Abbottabad, Pakistan. 

Meanwhile, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has blamed those it called oil cabal for the prolonged fuel scarcity in the country, saying they deliberately hold the nation to ransom for their selfish gains.

NLC President, Comrade Ayuba Wabba, who spoke yesterday, during an interactive session for delegates for the International Labour Organization (ILO) Conference, slated for Geneva, Switzerland next month, said the oil cabal expect to extract maximum gains from the biting fuel scarcity.

According to Wabba, “the issue of fuel scarcity is a matter of concern not only to us Labour, but also to every Nigerian.” He said “at every opportunity where there will be a change of guard those cabal will always come together and make life unbearable for the larger society; it is deliberate.”

The NLC president wondered why the crisis lingers at a time the country is preparing for a change of government.

“Over the past four years, there was no case of prolonged issue of queues as a result of fuel scarcity,” he said, stressing that this was because the cabal had over the years held Nigerians to ransom.

He said, “We cannot get it right until and when the inherent corruption that has constituted it as obstacle to progress is removed; we will not get it easier.”

Wabba recalled, “There was an agreement we signed with President Umaru Yar’Adua in 2010, which entails that the existing refineries must be allowed to work at full capacity, while modular refineries can be built in two years; that in four years time, we will be able to have the capacity to refine our products. Five years down the line, even clearing of the sites for refineries was yet to take place.”

On the epileptic power supply, NLC president said the government lacks excuses over the inconsistent power distribution to Nigerians.

“The excuse that the failure in the provision of constant power supply is caused by non-availability of gas, which has been said in last 40 years, is not tenable. There is gas flaring in the Niger Delta, why can’t we harness the opportunity? That excuse is worn out,” he said. 

Newswatch Times

About the author

Maritime First