- Carries out additional strikes in Yemen: Pentagon
U.S. forces joined South Korean and Japanese troops in beginning a coordinated submarine military exercise on Monday, the South Korean Defence Ministry said.
“The three countries launched the exercise in international waters off the coast of South Korea with the goal of being able to effectively respond to “threats from North Korean submarines include submarine-launched ballistic missiles.
“Patrol aircraft, military helicopters, and warships one carrying a destroyer with an Aegis ballistic missile defence system – are due to take part in the manoeuvre, which is scheduled to conclude on Wednesday.
“The exercises come in the midst of geopolitical tensions in the region over North Korea’s nuclear programme, seen as a major threat to the isolated country’s neighbours,’’ the ministry said.
North Korea conducted two nuclear tests in 2016 and is believed to be developing a nuclear missile capable of reaching the U.S.
The development programme is thought to include missiles that can be launched from submarines.
In the meantime, the United States has carried out about 20 additional strikes in Yemen against al Qaeda militants since the middle of last week, a Pentagon spokesman said on Monday.
Pentagon spokesman Captain Jeff Davis told reporters that since Feb. 28, the United States has carried out more than 70 strikes against al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula(AQAP) “militants, infrastructure, fighting positions and equipment.”
NAN with additional report from Zee