Ikoli did not kill himself, say Naval officers

  • As Police, ambulance services say mortar attack kills 3 in Somalia

The late Rear Adm. Daniel Ikoli, the Fleet Commander, Western Naval Command, Lagos, who was found dead at his Apapa residence on April 5, did not kill himself, contrary to some media reports.

According to authoritative sources at the command, Ikoli may have been assassinated as he had no cause to kill himself.

“Ikoli has been penciled down by the President as the next Chief of Naval Staff; he recently earned a special promotion to his present rank from Commodore.

“He was on the panel probing arms deal which also affects the Armed Forces, including the Navy.

“Ikoli was a disciplined, gentle, straightforward and honest man, who had no regard for protocol. It is nothing but a murder case,’’ a source told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday in Lagos.

The source also said that because of his performance as the Commander, NNS Beecroft, he was loved by all officers and the junior ones.

He said:“Ikoli transformed the place by introducing smart I.D. cards and increasing special duty allowance from N4, 000 to N12, 000.

“Everybody is aware that he was an introvert, but he made sure that things worked properly and he had respect for all and zero tolerance for corruption.

“He really complimented President Buhari on his anti-corruption war and I think that was why he was appointed to serve on the arms deal probe panel.

“His elevation as the next Chief of Naval Staff would have been announced if not for the president’s trip to London for medical checkup.’’

Another officer, who said he worked with him, also told NAN that the late Ikoli was an easy going man who did not believe in bothering people.

“At the close of work, he usually allows his aides to go home and stay with their families.

“In most cases, he will be the one to open the gate of his residence for visitors using a remote control.

“The officer would not have killed himself; it is pure case of assassination.

“There is a mystery surrounding his death; for instance, the two ambulances they brought to take him to the mortuary refused to move.

“It was when they brought his service car and transferred the body into it that they were able to take his corpse to the morgue,’’ he said.

In the meantime, mortar shells fired into homes in the Somali capital of Mogadishu has killed three people and wounded five, police and ambulance services said on Friday, a day after the government changed heads of security agencies.

Police said they suspected al Qaeda-linked al Shabaab were behind the attack, in which mortar rounds landed on homes in Wadajir district, in the vicinity of Mogadishu airport.

Abdikadir Abdirahman, director of Amin ambulance services, told Reuters on Friday: “we have carried three dead women and five others injured, including a woman and children.

“Mortars landed on their home today”.

Also ,Osman Mohamed, a police officer, told Reuters: “mortars believed to be fired by al Shabaab killed three people of the same family and injured several others.

“We are still investigating where they were fired from.”

Al Shabaab were not immediately reachable for comment.

In the past, the group, which aims to impose its own harsh version of Islam in Somalia, has taken responsibility for blasts and gun attacks in the capital and elsewhere in Somalia.

On Thursday, President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed, replaced his security chiefs and called on al Shabaab fighters to surrender within 60 days in return for education and jobs.

Al Shabaab is carrying out increasingly deadly bombings inspite of losing most of its territory to a 22,000-strong African Union peacekeepers supporting the Somali government.