Turkish expatriates: Abductors demand N200m

0
134
  • As Russia warns US against unilateral strike on N.Korea

Abductors of two Turkish expatriates in Akwa Ibom have demanded N200 million to release them.

The victims were abducted on April 10 from their Airstrip Hotel room in Eket Local Government Area of the state.

A security source told the News Agency of Nigeria in Eket that the abductors had been in touch with the BKS Construction Company in Onna Local Government Area where the expatriates work.

He said that the abductors contacted the construction company and demanded N200 million as ransom to release them.

“The abductors have demanded the sum of N200 million before the victims could be released to the company.

“The company is negotiating with the abductors to secure the release of the victims,” the source said.

According to the source, the firm is offering N500,000.

The State Police Public Relations (PPRO), ASP Chilly Ikechukwu, said the police were not aware of the ransom.

In the meantime, Russia on Monday warned Washington against launching a unilateral strike on North Korea, after US Vice President Mike Pence said the era of “strategic patience” with Pyongyang was over.

“This is a very risky path,” Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said at a news conference in Moscow. “We do not accept the reckless nuclear missile actions of Pyongyang that breach UN resolutions, but that does not mean that you can break international law,” he said.

“I hope that there will not be any unilateral actions like the one we saw recently in Syria.” Pence on Monday warned North Korea not to test President Donald Trump’s resolve, declaring that “all options are on the table” for curbing its missile and nuclear weapons programmes.

Defying international pressure, the North on Sunday tried to test-fire another missile in an attempt that failed, but which fuelled fears that it may be preparing for its sixth atomic weapons test.

Pence said that the era of US “strategic patience” in dealing with the North was over, after more than two decades.

“In the past two weeks, the world witnessed the strength and resolve of our new president in actions taken in Syria and Afghanistan,” Pence said. “North Korea would do well not to test his resolve, or the strength of the armed forces of the United States.”

NAN with additional report from Vanguard

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here