- Release of school girls anniversary gift to Nigerians – Presidency
- Again, Pres. Buhari travels to London for medical check-up
The 82 rescued Chibok schoolgirls have arrived Abuja to meet with President Muhammadu Buhari in the Presidential Villa.
The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr Femi Adesina, who confirmed this development on his twitter handle, said the Chief of Staff to the President, Alhaji Abba Kyari received the girls at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.
The girls, who regained their freedom on Saturday from Boko Haram captivity, would be meeting President Buhari at about 4.00p.m today.
The 82 girls were released to international negotiators who have been working in collaboration with the Federal government for their safe return since they were kidnapped in April 2014.
Malam Garba Shehu, a presidential spokesman on Saturday in a statement issued in Abuja also confirmed that the girls were release by their captors in exchange for some Boko Haram suspects held by the Federal Government.
Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari has described the rescue of 82 Chibok schoolgirls as a pleasant second anniversary gift of his administration to Nigerians.
The President made this known in Abuja on Sunday at a reception organised in honour of the rescued girls who were brought to Abuja after their release on Saturday.
The All Progressives Congress-led Federal Government will be celebrating its 2nd anniversary on May 29.
President Buhari expressed delight over the release of the girls and reassured Nigerians, especially relatives and friends of the determination of his administration to secure freedom for the remaining 113 girls and other Nigerians still under the insurgents captivity.
“I cannot express in a few words how happy I am to welcome our dear girls back to freedom.
“On behalf of all Nigerians, I will like to share my joy with you, your parents, your relatives, friends and the Government of Borno State on regaining your freedom.
“The Federal Government will like to commend the Security Agencies, the Red Cross, local authorities, local and foreign NGOs and all those who contributed in one way or another to secure the release of our Chibok Girls.
“Let me reassure Nigerians, especially relatives and friends of the remaining girls that the Federal Government will spare no effort to see that they and all other Nigerians who have been abducted safely regain their freedom.’’
He said the Presidency would personally supervise the performance of those entrusted with their welfare and commitments made by the Federal Government on their health, education, security and general well-being.
He said: “No human being should go through this kind of ordeal.’’
The President directed security agencies and state governments to continue to provide special protection to educational institutions vulnerable to this kind of outrage especially in remote areas.
According to him, the Federal Government is resolutely determined to safeguard the security of all Nigerians at all times.
President Buhari congratulated the rescued girls and their parents on their safe return.
A total of 276 girls were abducted from Government Girls Secondary School Chibok, in Borno on April 14, 2014 while preparing to sit for their final exams.
Fifty seven of the girls escaped and 219 were taken away by the terrorists.
So far, 106 of the girls have been recovered, leaving 113 still unaccounted for.
In Oct. 2016, 21 of the girls were freed by Boko Haram after negotiations between the group and the Nigerian government brokered by the International Committee of the Red Cross and the Swiss government.
The reception was attended by ministers, service chiefs and other government officials.
In the meantime, President Muhammadu Buhari departed Nigeria for London Sunday night for follow-up medical consultation with his doctors.
A statement by the Special Adviser to the President (Media and Publicity), Femi Adesina, said Buhari had planned to leave Sunday afternoon, but decided to tarry a bit, due to the arrival of 82 Chibok girls who arrived Abuja earlier in the day.
“The President assured Nigerians that there is no cause for worry”, said Femi Adesina, the media and publicity adviser
“He is very grateful for the prayers and good wishes of the people, and hopes they would continue to pray for the peace and unity of the nation.
“The length of the President’s stay in London will be determined by the doctors.
“Government will continue to function normally under the able leadership of the Vice President.
“President Buhari has transmitted letters about the trip to the Senate and the House of Representatives, in compliance with Section 145 (1) of the 1999 Constitution”.
The President had travelled on 20 January for a similar check. He returned on 10 March, after 51 days.
He also travelled in June last year to check an ear infection.