Hate speech ban: You enjoyed freedom under my administration – Jonathan reminds Nigerians

0
456
former President Jonathan Goodluck
  • As 68 Boko Haram terrorists surrender in Nigeria’s Borno

Former President Goodluck Jonathan on Thursday took a swipe at the move by the President Muhammadu Buhari administration to curb hate speech.

The ex-leader shared a picture of a quote he made on Facebook in 2014.

The post read in part, “I am the most abused and insulted President in the world but when I leave office, you will all remember me for the total ‘freedom’ you enjoyed under me.”

Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo had said last week that thenceforth, the Federal Government would treat hate speech as terrorism, while the military said it would be monitoring comments on social media to tackle anti-government and anti-security views.

Jonathan’s re-post had elicited 3,190 comments from his over two million followers as of 8pm.

One of the followers, Ngweeh Anthony Klassik, said, “You are blessed GEJ. People now know what freedom really meant. During your time, we had every right to post and comment with all manner of recklessness. Today, we are being monitored on the social media with a death sentence hanging on us.”

Another follower, Raheem Abidemi, wrote, “To be candid, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan happens to be one of the most mature Presidents Nigeria has ever had. Despite the series of insults he received from the likes of Lai Mohammed while in office, he never for once used his political might on them. He was really a mature President and I will continue to applaud him for that.”

However, Falola Olayinka, told Jonathan to bury his head for failing Nigeria.

He wrote, “The freedom you granted Diezani to loot us dry; the freedom you granted all your cronies, including ministers and service chiefs, to empty the CBN vault. We have not forgotten how you killed unemployed graduates in the Nigeria Immigration Service recruitment scandal and so many other harm you caused this country.”

In the meantime, the Nigerian Army on Thursday said that 68 Boko Haram terrorists have surrendered in Borno in last three weeks.

This comes in the wake of an intense and sustained bombardment of Boko Haram hideouts and enclaves as well as foiling of logistics supply activities by the Nigerian Army in the region.

“So far, a total of 68 insurgents have denounced terrorists` activities within the last 3 weeks. These surrendered terrorists also reported that many of the enclaves have become untenable and life has become unbearable for the Boko Haram Terrorists owing to the blockade emplaced by troops and the sustained bombardments,” said a senior army official.

Col. Onyema Nwachukwu, the Deputy Director Public Relations, Theatre Command, assured other terrorists willing to surrender of their safety and well-being and added that they can surrender to any military location nearest to them.

“The sustained operations against the remnants of the terrorist group have further pushed them to the brink of defeat with many of its foot soldiers willing to surrender to troops of Operation Lafiya Dole,” Local media quoted the Theater Command as saying in a statement.

The Nigerian Army has urged Boko Haram insurgents to renounce their heinous acts and surrender.

Boko Haram, a Nigerian militant group, has continued to attack soft targets in the country’s northeast region. The Boko Haram insurgency has caused about 100,000 deaths since 2009 despite the insurgents losing most of their occupied territory they once controlled.

Citizen with additional report from Zee