Police confirm 7 killed in night attack on Nasarawa village

0
179

…As 15 soldiers killed in suicide car bombing at checkpoint in Yemen – Officials***

The Nasarawa State Police Command on Tuesday confirmed the killing of seven persons in a night on Kadarko, a village in Keana Local Government Area of Nasarawa State.

According to Mr Kennedy Idirisu, its Public Relations Officer, the victims were killed by gunmen that invaded the village on Monday.

He described the incident as “saddening”, saying that a special police team, led by a senior officer, had been deployed to the area to forestall a recurrence.

Kadarko village had come under severe attacks lately, with cattle rustlers killing 73 cows on Sunday.

Two herdsmen were reported missing after the rustlers’ invasion.

NAN also reports that Alhaji Ahmed Bello, the Commissioner of Police in Nasarawa, visited the village on Sunday and assured the herders that investigation had commenced toward apprehending the rustlers.

Meanwhile, authorities say 15 newly-recruited Yemeni soldiers were killed on Tuesday when a suicide car bombing struck a military checkpoint in the south-eastern province of Shabwa.

“The suicide assailant died on the spot after detonating his explosives-laden car at a military checkpoint located in Nokhan area of Shabwa Province, killing about 15 soldiers,’’ the local government official said on condition of anonymity.

He said the targeted checkpoint was manned by a special Yemeni army backed by the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

A military source in Shabwa said more details would be unveiled later in the day.

Security forces backed by armoured vehicles have cordoned off the area for precautionary measures.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but Yemeni government officials blamed it on the Yemen-based al-Qaida branch.

Al-Qaida militants are intensifying drive-by attacks on security checkpoints in Yemen’s southern provinces as UAE-backed government forces tighten military operations against their hideouts.

During the past months, government forces and the UAE armed forces operating in the southern province of Aden launched a new anti-terror offensive “to root out al-Qaida militants from their strongholds in neighbouring southern province of Abyan.”

Thousands of southern recruits joined the campaign with military training and financial support from the UAE forces.

The UAE-backed anti-terror campaign has dislodged al-Qaida militants from several villages in Abyan and in the neighbouring south-eastern province of Shabwa, with over 50 of them arrested and imprisoned in Aden.

The Yemen-based al-Qaida branch has exploited years of a deadly conflict between the Yemeni internationally-recognised government and Houthi rebels to expand its presence, especially in the provinces of Shabwa and Abyan.