Captain medevac, 1 rescue team die


…GRIMALDI cargo ferry interrupted voyage, Sardinia***

…As One Marine rescued, 6 missing after planes collide off Japan***

General cargo ship WSTAR issued distress signal in the afternoon Dec 5 reporting Captain (of Indonesian nationality) unconscious, mouth foam, and requesting immediate medical assistance.

Freighter was sailing in northern direction west of Pengjia Islet, Taiwan, north of Keelung, East China sea, departing from Keelung Taiwan on Dec 5, destination unknown. Taiwanese Air Rescue sent helicopter.

While airlifting Captain on board of helicopter in rough sea and strong wind, one or two personnel of emergency team were injured, one of them later died in hospital. Understood but not confirmed, WSTAR Captain also died.

The ship turned back and headed for Keelung. On a photo moments of rescue operation.
In the meantime, Ro-ro cargo ship EUROCARGO NAPOLI suffered mechanical problem shortly after leaving Olbia, Sardinia, bound for Cagliari, in the morning Dec 4.

The ship reported to authorities and asked for anchorage off Golfo Aranci, north of Olbia.

Permission was granted, crew managed to repair engine, but Coast Guard nevertheless, ordered EUROCARGO NAPOLI to move to Golfo Aranci and sent a tug. EUROCARGO NAPOLI reached Golfo Aranci under own power, and as of 0630 UTC Dec 5, was still berthed at Golfo Aranci.

Meanwhile, one U.S. Marine was rescued, but six others were missing late Wednesday after two Marine Corps aircraft collided while refueling in mid-air during a regularly scheduled training exercise off the coast of Japan.

The aircraft — a KC-130 and a F/A-18 Hornet — had launched from Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, near Hiroshima. The accident occurred at around 2 a.m. Thursday, local time (12 p.m. Wednesday ET).

Japan’s Defense Ministry said the two aircraft crashed into the sea south of the Muroto Cape on Shikoku island in southwestern Japan, about 200 miles off the coast.

A U.S. official told Fox News that seven Marines were on board the two aircraft. Two aviators were on the F/A-18 Hornet, while five Marines were on the KC-130.

Japanese officials said the rescued Marine was in stable condition. The Marine Corps said the rescued crew was taken to a hospital at its base in Iwakuni and was being treated, but did not provide any other details.

The Marines said in a separate statement that the incident was under investigation.

The crash is the latest in recent series of accidents involving the U.S. military deployed to and near Japan.

Last month, a U.S. Navy F/A-18 Hornet from the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan crashed into the sea southwest of Japan’s southern island of Okinawa, though its two pilots were rescued safely. In mid-October, a MH-60 Seahawk also belonging to the Ronald Reagan crashed off the Philippine Sea shortly after takeoff, causing non-fatal injuries to a dozen sailors.

More than 50,000 U.S. troops are based in Japan under the bilateral security pact.

Fleetmon with additional report from BBC