…As Fire destroys 30 rooms in students’ hostel at Kano varsity***
The American Society of Safety Professionals (ASSP) is collaborating with the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) to improve safety in the nation’s railway transportation system.
Daniel Osadiaye, President, Nigeria Chapter of ASSP, on Wednesday in Lagos, said the association forged a collaboration with NRC management to work together for a safer and stronger future towards preventing accidents in the sector.
“Building Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) culture in NRC is very essential at this stage of the corporation’s growth and development.
“The recent rail derailment at Ashade railway crossing in Lagos is a concern to us as safety professionals, and we are willing to collaborate for solutions from our professional point of view to prevent future occurrence.
“We understand that coach derailment incident is a global phenomenon, and we appreciate the critical role the corporation is playing in ensuring the safety of the rail corridor in Nigeria.
“The ASSP wealth of knowledge which spans over a 100 years will support the corporation in building sustainable HSE structures that will reduce accidents in their operations,” Osadiaye said in a statement.
According to him, the partnership will provide viable strategy to improve the skills of staff, enhance sensitisation in railway transportation safety, and public adherence to safety rules.
He said the partnership would boost the corporation’s efficiency, customer satisfaction and strengthen safety culture in the sector.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that ASSP is a global association of occupational safety and health professionals dedicated to creating safe work environments across all industries.
In the meantime, the Kano State Fire Service on Wednesday confirmed a fire outbreak that destroyed an upper section of a female hostel at the Kano University of Science and Technology, Wudil.
Alhaji Saidu Mohammed, the State Fire Service spokesman, told the News Agency of Nigeria in Kano that the incident which occurred on Tuesday night resulted from high voltage.
He said that a total of 30 rooms, 20 toilets and four kitchens were completely razed.
“We received a distress call at 09:52pm from one Alhaji Sagiru that there was a fire outbreak in the university.
“On receiving the information, we quickly sent some of our personnel and fire fighting vehicles to the scene at 10:21pm to quench the fire,’’ he said.
Mohammed, however, said that no life was lost to the fire, noting that students were still at home because of lecturers’ strike.