The Nigeria Customs Service (NSC) on Monday confirmed that a whopping 524,215 Nigerians, actually registered and applied for the 3,200 various Customs position recently advertised.
Industry watchers maintained that the frightening development gave credence to the designation of Nigeria as the unenvied poverty capital of the world; aside from also highlighting the high level of unemployed youths and their attendant leverage on poverty and hopelessness.
Recall that the Nigeria Customs created a recruitment portal last month in its efforts to recruit 3,200 officers to fortify its operations.
The Acting Deputy Comptroller-General of Customs, Umar Sanusi, had said 2,200 will be recruited as general duty junior officers, while 1,000 will be between the rank of Customs Assistant and Superintendent.
However speaking Monday with Maritime First, the quintessential National Public Relation Officer of the Service, Joseph Attah gave the breakdown of the total number of applicants who applied to the various position advertised.
According to him “We recorded about 828,333 who visited the portal.
“But those that registered and completed the process of application is 524,215, out of these figures 278,582 applied for various position at Superintendent Cadre, And at the Inspectorate’s Cadre we have 120,184 applicants applied.
“At the Customs Assistant Cadre level we have 115,987 applicants”, Attah said, noting that having shut down the portal, the electronic screening of applicants who have succeeded in applying for the various position will take off without human interference.
In his words “Having shut down the platform the electronic screening of applicants who have succeeded in applying, but do not have qualifications that are directly relevant to the advertised positions will begin.
“For example we have people who studied History, Physics and Chemistry and some of them have applied for laboratory technicians; we have cases of some of the applicants that read Business Education applying for procurements and some that read Biochemistry also applying for laboratory technicians, where as there are people who read the particular course advertised.
“So the screening will be done electronically without any human interference, so the final ones that will be out, will be the shortlist of those that are on the final lists, and this will be the ones to receive emails, inviting them to the examination and interview; and other screening process that will be given to them through that emails.
“We are going to use state capitals due to the challenges of crowd control and by doing that we are bringing the recruitment of the NCS down to the grassroot, such that every state capitals becomes a centre and applicants have the opportunity of seeing and knowing how the process is being transparently conducted”.
Attah however warned desperate job seekers not to fall into the hands of internet fraudsters as criminal elements are cashing in, by sending dubious texts messages on various positions in other to extort money from applicants.
“Let me also take this opportunity to state that even after the closure of the portal, we are aware that internet fraudsters and criminal elements are cashing in on the moment, by inviting desperate job seekers; and we are aware that some are dubiously sending text messages either from the Comptroller General of Customs or highly placed Customs officials supposedly offering vacancies and slots. All these are hand work of the criminal elements whose interest is to extort money from applicants.
“Our vacancy portal has closed and we do not intend to open it until any other year, upon approval by the Federal Government”, Attah explained further.