Accidents Maritime

3 die in Lagos boat mishap, 2 still missing

3 die in Lagos boat mishap, 2 still missing
Written by Maritime First

…As 1 dies and 7 injured during police attempt to arrest fleeing criminals in Anambra***

The Lagos State Waterways Authority confirmed Tuesday, the death of three people while adding that two others were still missing, following a boat accident that occurred at Irewe community, in Ojo, near Lagos late on Tuesday.

The confirmation came, just as the Anambra Police Command also Tuesday, confirmed that one person died while seven others sustained injuries when hoodlums tried to prevent its operatives from arresting fleeing criminals in Onitsha metropolis.

The General Manager of LASWA, Mr. Emmanuel Oluwadamilola highlighted that 13 people were however rescued in the incident.

“At about 6:10 p.m. today, Aug. 13, two passenger speed boats had a head-on collision along the creek in Ojo local Govt Area of Lagos State.

“There were 10 passengers in a boat coming from Ojo jetty and eight passengers in another coming from Irewe community when the incident occurred.

“Eighteen passengers in total were involved with 13 rescued alive with three fatalities and two still missing–an adult and a child.

“Search and rescue operation is ongoing by relevant state agencies and the local community who were the first responders.

“Preliminary investigations by LASWA and LASEMA revealed that the incident was caused, due to reckless driving and over-speeding on the part of boat captains as one of them wasn’t in his right of way.”

The LASWA boss said that further investigations would be carried out by the authority and that those found wanting would be sanctioned accordingly.

He advised waterways users to always adhere to safety rules and regulations to avert untoward incidents.

Also read:  18 rescued, four still missing in election day boat mishap in Delta

Meanwhile, the Anambra Police Command Tuesday confirmed that one person died, while seven others sustained injuries after hoodlums tried to prevent its operatives from arresting fleeing criminals in Onitsha metropolis.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, Mr Haruna Mohammed, noted that the incident occurred at about 1pm at Obosi New Park, Onitsha.

“There was an intelligence report that some suspects, who escaped from custody, were seen at that place and the police mobilised and went there to make arrests.

“They were, however, stopped by some hoodlums who attempted to disarm a policeman.

“The policeman tried to liberate himself from them, but they refused. So he had to use his fire arm and unfortunately, it hit one of them.

“The victim was rushed to a hospital but was confirmed dead,” Mohammed said, noting that the hoodlums, who became angry at the death of the man, went on rampage, blocking the Onitsha–Owerri road.

Although their activities disrupted vehicular movement for about 45 minutes, it took the intervention of reinforced police team and the local security guards to disperse the rampaging hoodlums.

“So far the area is calm and the Commissioner of Police has ordered an investigation to ascertain the cause of the incident,” Mohammed added.

The police spokesman declined comment on whether the wanted criminals were later arrested.





About the author

Maritime First