Politics

FG, Ohanaeze Worldwide, others condemn attack on Ekweremadu in Germany

FG, Ohanaeze Worldwide, others condemn attack on Ekweremadu in Germany
Written by Maritime First

…As Ohanaeze Ndigbo UK says ‘Its taboo’!***

Nigerians In Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) has condemned the attack on Senator Ike Ekweremadu at the 2nd Annual Igbo Cultural Festival held in Nuremberg, Germany.

In a statement in Abuja the Chairman of NIDCOM, Mrs AbiKe Dabiri-Erewa said that the incident was an embarrassment to the country, just as the Ohanaeze Ndigbo, UK, joins the Ohanaeze Ndigbo Worldwide, to similarly condemn the attack by members of Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), describing it as a taboo.

“It is also shamefully pathetic that an event, which was nobly put together by the Ndi-Igbo community whose members make up the majority of Nigerians living in Germany, ended up in such a disgraceful manner,” she said.

Dabiri-Erewa noted that the event was to provide a forum for the Diasporans and various stakeholders to network and facilitate a better cooperation between German and Nigerian businesses. She disclosed that some of the culprits who perpetrated the act had been apprehended.

Dabiri-Erewa called on the German government and law enforcement agencies to ensure that there are consequences for the actions of the culprits.

Sen. Ekweremadu In a statement on Saturday confirmed that he was physically assaulted by some members of the proscribed Indigenous Peoples of Biafra, IPOB, in Nuremberg, Germany.

Enweremadu confirmed the attack in a statement released by his Media Assistant, Uche Anichukwu in Abuja.

Meanwhile, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, UK, has described the attack on former Deputy President of the Senate Ike Ekweremadu in Nuremberg, Germany, by members of Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), as a taboo.

Also read: FG, El-Zakzaky in battle of wits in Indian hospital

Dr Nnanna Igwe, the President of Ohaneze Ndigbo, UK, condemned the attack in a statement issued in London on Sunday, describing the attack as shocking and sordid and added that it was disappointing that the group claimed responsibility for the act.

“This act is totally and wholesomely condemnable and has no place in a democratic and civilised society.

“Sen. Ekweremadu has been a responsible leader and strong voice for Ndigbo in Nigeria; he helped negotiate the bail of Nnamdi Kanu and secured his freedom.

“The Cultural Festival in Germany by Ndigbo was an opportunity to showcase Igbo greatness via our noble culture and tradition worthy of emulation.

“The disruption of the cultural fiesta, the altercation and associated pandemonium are taboo to Ndigbo and presented Ndigbo in bad light and damaging blow to Igbo image across the world.

”This uncivilised action portrayed us as miscreants, barbaric and violent people,” Igwe said.

He called on Igbo worldwide to always use dialogue in resolving disputes or differences, noting that further threat on Igbo Leaders by IPOB was unacceptable and should be abandoned forthwith.

The President-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, John Nnia Nwodo, criticized IPOB over the attack saying “the attack strengthens the case of those who describe them as terrorists,” and described the assault on Ekweremadu as disappointing, grotesque and dangerous for Igbo solidarity.

Other members of the society, including the President of the Senate Sen. Ahmad Lawan, and South East Governors’ Forum, have condemned the attack.

In a similar development, the Ohanaeze Ndigbo Youths Worldwide, the youth wing of the apex Igbo socio-cultural group, has taken a swipe at the members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) over their alleged attack on the former Deputy Senate President, Sen. Ike  Ekweremadu, in Germany.

The leader of the youth wing of Ohaneze Ndigbo, Arthur Uchenna-Obiorah, in a statement issued to newsmen on Sunday in Awka, described the incident as unfortunate.

Uchenna-Obiorah warned that Igbo youths would not tolerate such a barbaric act from irate youths that might want to hide under any disguise to abuse its leaders.
He described as unnecessary, the attack on Ekweremadu, whose clear antecedents and activities to end the marginalisation of Ndigbo, he said, were well-known to everybody.

He stated, “As a body, we condemn the attack in strong terms and demand an unreserved apology from the leadership of IPOB group for assaulting one of the most celebrated Igbo icons.

Uchenna-Obiorah said he was taken aback and angry watching the online video of how one of the illustrious sons of Igboland was assaulted by his fellow Igbo youths in Germany.

“Without mincing words, Igbo youths worldwide condemn the action and request an unreserved apology to Ekweremadu, his family and Ndigbo in general,” he said.

According to him, “this violent, rude and discourteous style of IPOB or IPOB-instigated miscreants is damaging to our cause”, he stated further, urging Igbo youths all over the world to be good citizens of their host nations and worthy ambassadors of their homeland.

 

 

 

About the author

Maritime First