…As Embassy demands investigations into alleged killing of Nigerian medical doctor in Ukraine***
Daring armed men suspected to be robbers on Tuesday killed three policemen, and a civilian, during a ruthless attack launched on the convoy of Nasarawa State Deputy Governor, Dr Emmanuel Akabe.
Akabe was on his way to Abuja on an official engagement when the robbers who were said to be in full operation, few kilometres away from Akwanga at about 6pm swooped on the convoy, despite the noisy siren of the deputy Governor’s convoy. The convoy was considered a disturbance.
The Police Public Relations Officer of the state Police Command, ASP Usman Samaila who confirmed the incident in Lafia, however did not give details, saying the commissioner of Police, Bola Longe had led a team of officers to the scene to assess the situation.
“As I speak with you now, the Commissioner of Police, the Deputy Commissioner Operations and other high ranking officers of the command have gone to the scene of the incident,” Samaila said.
Meanwhile, one of those in the convoy, said the armed robbers opened fire on the convoy before fleeing.
According to him, three policemen and a driver were shot and killed by the armed robbers and their corpses have been deposited at the Dalhatu Araf Specialist Hospital Lafia.
The deputy governor who was unhurt but looking shaky, was at the hospital but did not speak to journalists on the incident.
In another development, the Nigerian Embassy in Ukraine has petitioned the Ukrainian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Police Department in Kharkiv demanding full investigations into the circumstances surrounding the alleged stabbing to death of a Nigerian, Gbolade Ejemai.
Ejemai, a medical doctor was allegedly stabbed to death by one Victoria Popravko, with the connivance of her father in Ukraine.
The Chairman/CEO, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM ), Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa who had been in touch with the family of the deceased and Nigerian Embassy in Ukraine, confirmed the petition in a statement on Tuesday.
The statement signed by NIDCOM’s Head of Media, Abdur-Rahman Balogun was made available to newsmen in Abuja.
Dabiri-Erewa said the petition was delivered to the Ukrainian authorities on behalf of the Federal Government.
She confirmed that the Nigerian Embassy in Ukraine had engaged with both the host Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Police department in Kharkiv, informing them of the concern of the Federal government over the death of Ejemai.
“We have requested for a full and thorough investigation into the circumstance surrounding his demise, with a view to ensuring that justice is carried out’’, Dabiri-Erewa said.
The NIDCOM Chairman added that the Nigerian Embassy in Ukraine had called a meeting aimed at having further discussions on the matter with the affected stakeholders.
She also confirmed that she had got in touch with the deceased’s family assuring them of federal government’s commitment to ensuring that justice is done.
Dabiri-Erewa described the killing of Ejemai as a sad one and prayed for God to give his family the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss.
It would be recalled that a family friend of the deceased one Dr. Ajayi had reportedly said that Popravko and Ejemai were in a relationship.
He said the duo got into a heated argument on Aug. 8 in the suspect’s house.
Popravko allegedly stabbed Ejemai in his abdomen, which led him in to a state of prolonged unconsciousness and he was taken in for surgery on the said date.
The deceased was said to have told his side of the story when he came out of coma almost 24 hours after the incidence.
He alleged that when Popravko’s father discovered that he was still alive after the stabbing, he hit him on the head with a hammer.