Health and Safety

Gunmen on RAMPAGE: Kill one, abduct NSCDC officer, his two children in Kuje

Gunmen kill 3 policemen in Kaduna LG
Written by Maritime First

* Invade Kwaido village, abduct 3 people in Kebbi***

* Police confirm abduction of School Principal in Kaduna***

*Gov. Ishaku says Taraba recorded over 100 kidnappings in 9 months***

…As Army rescue 6 abducted students from Kidnappers in Kaduna***

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have killed one person, in the course of abducting a Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) officer, with his two children at Dafara community, in Kuje Area Council, FCT.

The District Head of the community, Makeri Joseph, told newsmen in Kuje on Thursday that the incident happened around 12 0’ clock on Wednesday night with the gunmen shooting sporadically into the air.

The incident is the second within a week in Kuje Area Council.

Joseph said the gunmen, who were in army camouflage, came in large numbers and carried sophisticated weapons.

He said that they killed a community vigilante and whisked away a NSCDC officer with his two children to unknown destination.

Confirming the incident, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Police Command, said it had commenced a joint counter operation against kidnapping in Kuje and its environs.

​Meanwhile, in a statement issued by DSP Anjuguri Manzahp, Police Public Relations Officer (PRO), the FCT Police Command on Thursday said, joint operation comprising other security agencies had been extended to other identified black spots within FCT.

He said the operation was aimed at rescuing hostages, arresting the suspects and permanently checkmating the emerging security concerns, especially around Kuje and Robuchi axis.

Manzahp said the security agencies were working assiduously to rescue the victims, calling on the residents to be calm and support the ongoing operation with useful information to the police.

“The police are reassuring the public that it will not relent on its effort until the activities of these hoodlums and other criminals are permanently checked.

“Further steps are also being made to engage relevant stakeholders in various communities as part of renewed effort to check crimes,” he said.

Recall that Police had on Tuesday confirmed the kidnap of four persons by unidentified gunmen at Pegi community on Monday night in Kuje Area Council.

Meanwhile, the Police in Kebbi have also confirmed that gunmen invaded and abducted three persons in Kwaido village, in Augie Local Government Area of Kebbi State on Wednesday.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, DSP Nafiu Abubakar confirmed the incident on Thursday, saying the command could not ascertain the number of the gunmen that attacked the village, but, there was no report of anybody killed or maimed in the attack.

“At about 2am on Wednesday, unknown gunmen invaded Kwaido village in Augue LGA and kidnapped three people in the village.

“Those abducted are: Garba Gada, Salihu Audu and Buba Aliyu,” Abubakar explained.

According to him, one of those abducted, Buba Aliyu has escaped and returned home.

The PPRO assured the general public that efforts were ongoing to rescue the remaining two victims from the kidnappers.

In a related development, the Kaduna State Police Command has confirmed the kidnapping of Mr. Francis Maji, the Principal, Government Technical College Kajuru, in Kaduna State.

The Command’s Deputy Public Relations Officer, ASP Suleiman Abubakar, confirmed the incident Thursday, in Kaduna, saying the command received information through the Divisional Police Officer of Kajuru, on Thursday about the invasion of the boarding school by a group of armed men.

Also read:  Nasarawa Police confirm RCCG pastor’s abduction in Lafia

He explained that the armed men shot sporadically and in the process abducted Maji.

“The Police timely intervention helped in preventing the hoodlums from gaining access to the students’ hostel.

“The Commissioner of Police, CP Ali Janga assures the public that the Command is working round the clock to tame the recent change of tactics by the enemies of peace who now resort to soft targets.

Sadly however, Gov.Darius Ishaku of Taraba on Thursday disclosed that Taraba State recorded over 100 cases of kidnapping between January and September.

Ishaku disclosed this in Jalingo at a one-day training for the conduct of “Operation Ayem-Akpatuma II” by the 3 Division, Nigerian Army, Jos.

The governor said that 30 kidnappings were recorded in September alone, adding that victims of kidnapping in the state lost between N200 and N250 million to kidnappers.

The governor said that the state government had provided 26 motorcycles and two Hilux vans to support the effort the Federal Government in fighting crime in the state.

Ishaku said he was confident that the military would tackle the challenge and restore normalcy to crisis areas.

Earlier, Maj.-Gen. Nuhu Angbazo, the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 3 Division, Jos, said that the training was to engender cooperation among security agencies and ensure success of the operation.

Angbazo, who was represented by Brig.-Gen. Briggs Daniel, said that during the operation, criminal elements would be confronted, headlong.

Angbazo said that the operation was launched in Taraba, Benue, Nasarawa and Kogi states simultaneously, to flush out criminals and halt violence of all kinds.

However in a swift fight back, Operation Thunder Strike troops on Thursday rescued six students of Government Day Secondary School Gwagwada, in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State, who were abducted on their way to school same Thursday morning.

The Deputy Director Public Relations of 1Division Nigeria Army Kaduna, Col. Ezindu Idimah indicated this on Thursday in Kaduna.

Col. Idimah also revealed that three motor boys were rescued while four suspected bandits were neutralised by the troops.

“The Troops who were on routine patrol in the general area received information from a reliable source that some bandits terrorizing the Abuja-Kaduna highway have waylaid some students on their way to school and abducted them.

“Troops immediately swung into action and gave the bandits a hot chase.

“On sighting the troops, the bandits engaged them in a firefight but had to surrender to the superior firepower of the troops.

“Following the firefight, one of the bandits was neutralized while the rest scampered into different directions of the forest with gun shot wounds.”

He explained that all the students abducted by the bandits were rescued safely and re-united with their families.

Idimah added that one AK47 rifle with seven rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition and a pump action gun with ten cartridges were recovered by the troops.

According to him, the troops are currently combing the entire forest in search of the bandits.

“In a related development, troops also dealt decisively with bandits in an ambush at Soho Gaya in Chikun Local Governmment Area at about 10 am this morning.

“During the ambush, two bandits were neutralized while one riffle was recovered.

“Additionally, at about 10:45am, troops pursued bandits into one of the forests in Chukun Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

“During the pursuit one of the bandits was neutralized while 2 AK 47 riffles, one pump action and 3 Magazines were recovered.

“The success recorded has buoyed up troops morale who expressed enthusiasm in sustaining the onslaught against the bandits and other criminal elements within the Division Area of Responsibility,” Idimah stated.

He added that the General Officer Commanding the Division, Maj.-Gen. Faruk Yahaya has commended the efforts of the troops and urged them to continue to pursue and neutralize bandits in 1 Division area of responsibility.

He urged the general public to report anybody with gun wound to security agents around them.

 

 

About the author

Maritime First