Politics Sports

Oil dealer docked over alleged N42m fraud

Oyo Comptroller lands in correctional centre over alleged N25m property fraud
Written by Maritime First

…As Court fixes Feb. 20 for ruling on joining Pinnick, Sanusi over Alleged $9.5m FIFA Grant***

A 42-year-old oil dealer, Joshua Momodu, was on Monday, arraigned before an Igbosere Magistrates’ Court, Lagos, over allegation that he obtained N42 million under the guise of delivering 20,000 litres of diesel.

Momodu, whose residential address was not given, was standing trial on a five-count charge of fraud and stealing.

The Prosecutor, SP. J. I. Enang, told the court that the defendant and others still at large, committed the offences sometimes in August 2019, in Lagos.

Enang said that the defendant fraudulently obtained N42 million from the complainant, Adeeman Nigeria Limited, on the pretext of delivering 20,000 litres of NNPC-approved Automated Gas Oil (AGO, popularly known as diesel.

“Momodu forged the customs’ documents, which included contract paper with NNPC and Shell/AGIP logos on it, with the intent that they would be acted upon as genuine.

“The defendant knew that the representation he made to the complainant was false.

“He obtained the said money, did not deliver the AGO and did not pay back the money,” Enang further told the court.

He said that the offences contravened Sections 285, 314, 363, 370 and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos, 2015.

The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges preferred against him.

The Defence Counsel, Mr Abdullahi Dania, urged the court to grant his client bail on liberal terms.

In his ruling, the Magistrate, Mr A. O. Alogba, granted the defendant bail in the sum of N500,000, with two sureties in like sum.

He said that the sureties must be gainfully employed and must show evidence of tax payments to the Lagos State government.

Also read:  Court sentences accountant to 18 year in prison for defrauding church in Adamawa

Alogba, thereafter, adjourned the case till Feb. 18, for mention.

In another development, a FCT High Court, Maitama, on Monday fixed Feb. 20 for ruling in an application to join Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) President, Amaju Pinnick and Secretary-General, Dr Mohammed Sanusi in the alleged misappropriation of 9.5 million dollars FIFA grant.

Justice Peter Affen had earlier fixed Oct. 22, 2019 for ruling in the application before the Attorney general of the Federation(AGF) said they wanted to harmonise.

EFCC dragged three officials of NFF before the court in an alleged 9.5 million dollars FIFA grant misappropriation before applying on April 30 to join both Pinnick and Sanusi in the matter as co-defendants.

Those being tried earlier were Christopher Andekin, NFF Director of Administration and Finance; Reagan Zaka, Cashier and Fadanari Mamza, Head, Finance and Account Department.

The EFCC charged the defendants with five counts bordering on criminal conspiracy, breach of trust and misappropriation.

The EFCC alleged that they conspired between January 8 and 26, 2015 to commit the offence, contrary to Section 97 of Penal Code.

Andekin was alleged to have been entrusted with money meant for the development of football in Nigeria, a grant from world football body, the Federation of International Football Association (FIFA).

He was alleged to have fraudulently diverted 1.3 million dollars from the NFF domiciliary account with Zenith Bank, an act that is contrary to Section 311 of the Penal Code.

Zaka, on his part, was said to have fraudulently diverted 7.2 million dollars rom the FIFA grant, while Mamza was alleged of diverting 2. 3 million dollars.

The defendants all pleaded not guilty to the charge

On June 27, 2019 while adopting processes filed in support of the application for joinder the prosecuting counsel, Mr Steve Odiase, urged the court to grant the application.

According to him, the charge filed by the government against the first, second defendants and both Pinnick and Sanusi at the Federal High Court in Abuja was different from the one at the FCT High Court.

On his part, counsel for the defendants, Festus Ukpe, while adopting affidavits opposing the joinder, urged the court to refuse the application.

At the resumed hearing, on Monday, Mr Abubakar Musa, senior state counsel, Federation Ministry of Justice told the court that the Attorney General of the Federation was withdrawing the application for harmonisation to enable EFCC to go on with the matter.

Other counsel did not object.

 

About the author

Maritime First