Foreign News Health and Safety

COVID-19: Nigeria records first case, gets opportunity to prove preparedness

COVID-19: Ogun quarantines 28 people
Written by Maritime First

…South Korea coronavirus infections top 2000 case***

…As Hong Kong Quarantines Pet dog suspected of having coronavirus***

The Minister of Health may have finally been blessed with an opportunity to prove his orchestrated preparedness to Coronavirus invasion, as Federal Government confirms recording the first case of the new Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Lagos State.

The Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire personally confirmed the development in a statement on Friday in Abuja. Who knows, the solutions to the dreaded global COVID-19 may be in Nigeria.

Ehanire said the case,  which was confirmed on Feb. 27, was the first case to be reported in Nigeria since the beginning of the outbreak in China in January 2020.

“The case is an Italian citizen who works in Nigeria and returned from Milan, Italy, to Lagos, Nigeria, on the 25th of February 2020.

“He was confirmed by the Virology Laboratory at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, part of the Laboratory Network at the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.

“The patient is clinically stable, with no serious symptoms, and is being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos,’’ he said.

The minister assured that the Government of Nigeria, through the Federal Ministry of Health, had been strengthening measures to ensure an outbreak in Nigeria is controlled and contained quickly.

The multi-sectoral Coronavirus Preparedness Group led by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has immediately activated its National Emergency Operations Centre.

He said NCDC would work closely with Lagos State Health authorities to respond to this case and implement firm control measures.

“I wish to assure all Nigerians that have we have been beefing up our preparedness capabilities since the first confirmation of cases in China, and we will use all the resources made available by the government to respond to this case.

Also read:  Test on suspected case of Coronavirus shows negative- Lagos Commissioner

“We have already started working to identify all the contacts of the patient, since he entered Nigeria.

“Please be reminded that most people who become infected may experience only mild illness and recover easily, but it can be more severe in others, particularly the elderly and persons with other underlying chronic illnesses,” the minister said.

Ehanire further advised all Nigerians to take care of their health and maintain hand and respiratory hygiene to protect themselves and others, including their own families, following the precautions below:

“Regularly and thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water, and use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

“Maintain at least 1.5 metres (5 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.

“Persons with persistent cough or sneezing should stay home or keep a social distance but not mix in crowd.

“Make sure you and people around you, follow good respiratory hygiene, meaning cover your mouth and nose with a handkerchief or tissue or into your sleeve at the bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.

“Stay home if you feel unwell with symptoms like fever, cough and difficulty in breathing,’’ he urged.

“Please call NCDC toll free number, which is available day and night, for guidance: 0800 970 0000-0010.

“Stay informed on the latest developments about COVlD-19 through official channels on TV and Radio, including the Lagos State Ministry of Health, NCDC and Federal Ministry of Health.”

He further urged citizens not to abuse social media and indulge in spreading misinformation that causes fear and panic.

“The Federal Ministry of Health through NCDC will continue to provide updates and will initiate all measures required to prevent the spread of any outbreak in Nigeria.

Nigeria is probably the third reported case of COVID-19 in Africa after Egypt and Algeria.

However, the COVID-19 may have become a harmattan fire as South Korea confirmed coronavirus cases has climbed to more than 2000, based on figures released on Friday.

The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) announced that 256 new cases, bringing the total number of people infected in the country to 2022, and the number of deaths to 13.

More than half the country’s cases have been linked to the Shincheonji church in Daegu, news agency Yonhap reported.

South Korea’s Culture Minister, Park Yang-woo urged religious groups to halt services and gatherings for a while to stop the spread of the virus, in comments reported by Yonhap.

In another development, the Hong Kong authorities have quarantined a pet dog of a patient with coronavirus, after testing weak positive for the virus, Hong Kong said on Friday.

The Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) said it was to run further tests on the animal to determine whether it has contracted the disease, or if the result was caused by environmental contamination of the dog’s mouth and nose.

The dpa reports that the animal was not showing any relevant symptoms.

But AFCD said it did not have evidence at present that pets can be infected with the virus causing the Covid-19 disease, but advises to quarantine pets of infected patients to ensure public and animal health.

 

About the author

Maritime First