Health and Safety

Military, ZMSG resume full onslaught against bandits in Zamfara

Military, ZMSG resume full onslaught against bandits in Zamfara
Written by Maritime First

…As State Police Command unmasked five over banditry***

With the failure of appeals and gratification to pacify the bandits, Gov. Bello Matawalle of Zamfara and the military may have adopted the big stick and resumed full onslaught against unrepentant bandits in the state.

The Zamfara State Special Adviser to the governor on Public Enlightenment, Media and Communications, Zailni Bappa confirmed this in a statement to newsmen on Wednesday in Gusau.

There had been reports of a gradual and steady resurgence of armed bandits and kidnappers activities in the state in the last two months.

Consequently, Zailni Bappa said the firepower which had already taken effect in the state had started yielding positive results.

“It has led to the rescue of 13 kidnap victims including the District Head of Wuya in Anka Local Government Area, who was kidnapped along with his son and the Chief Imam of the village shortly after their afternoon prayer, last week,’’ he said.

He said the rescued victims had since undergone medical checkup at the state government’s health facility and had been reunited with their family members.

He said the victims were earlier handed over to Gov. Matawalle by the state Commissioner of Police, Mr Usman Nagogo.

Bappa said, while the governor reiterated his administration’s ban on the volunteer security group known as “San sa kai”, it would deal decisively with “any traditional leader found to be supporting the activities of the outlawed group including losing his throne.”

He said the renewed military action had also led to the arrest of seven bandit informants, who would soon be moved to Abuja to face the consequences of their actions.

In a related development, the Zamfara Police Command has announced the arrest of some suspected criminals who allegedly involved themselves in banditry and kidnappings.

According to the Zamfara Commissioner of Police, CP Usman Nagogo, some of the suspects included one Sani Boka ‘M’, Alh. Kabiru Lawali ‘M’, Kabiru Sani a.k.a Dan Kallo ‘M’, Sani Umar a.k.a Abu Tallman ‘M’ and Abubakar Yakubu a.k.a Aminu Sarki ‘M’

The Commissioner noted that on 1st March, 2020, the Divisional Police Headquarters, Gummi received information that armed bandits had invaded the residence of one Alh Umar Ibrahim ‘M’ at Dan-Awo village in Gummi LGA.

“The Police rushed to the scene and discovered that the said Alhaji Umar Ibrahim was shot and killed by the Invaders.

“They then took along with them, his two wives and the sum of N200,000. However, the two wives were released later.

Also read:  Bandits kill village head in Zamfara – Police

“However, on the same date, one of the wives to the deceased identified one Sani Boka of Masama village of Gummi LGA among the kidnappers that killed their husband and took them away.

“The arrest of Sani Boka led to the arrest of other five suspects who participated in the murder of the deceased and the kidnap of the two women”, the CP stated, adding that investigation later revealed that the relatives were forced to pay N1,800,000; adding that All the suspects arrested confessed to the crime.

Nagogo expressed grief that not only was the act of kidnapping and banditry being perpetrated by the bandits in the forest, but sadly, they were also being committed by hoodlums living either in the same village with the victims or, from the surrounding villages.

“One of the suspects is a younger brother to the deceased’s wife and very closed friend to the decease”, he noted further, calling on the general public to be more vigilant in their respective communities.

 

About the author

Maritime First