Accidents Health and Safety

LAGOS: Gas explosion claims 1 life, injures 3 — LASEMA

LAGOS: Gas explosion claims 1 life, injures 3 — LASEMA
Written by Maritime First

…As search team in Niger, recovers 3 more bodies from Monday flood***

The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) has said that a man lost his life while three adults were injured in a gas explosion which took place at Palmgroove Estate, Lagos.

LASEMA Director-General, Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, who confirmed the accident on Monday, said that the three injured people had been hospitalised.

Oke-Osanyintolu said that LASEMA received emergency call at about 6:p.m. on Monday that a gas explosion had occurred at 13C Palmgroove Estate, Cappa Avenue in Lagos.

According to him, upon arrival at the scene of incident, a gas cylinder used in filling an outdoor air conditioner split unit of a storey building got exploded as a result of gas leakage from the cylinder.

“This accident result to the death of a 30-year-old male, Usman Bello, while the other three men sustained different degree of injuries.

” The LASEMA Response Team, the Nigeria Police and the Lagos State Fire Service are responders at the scene of incident.

“All the occupants in the building which belong to Mr Dayo Shofolawe, have been evacuated. The scene of the incident has been cordoned off to prevent any secondary incident,” Oke-Osanyintolu said.

He, however, urged the residents not the enter into the premises adding that there were visible cracks on the walls and pillars while recovery operation was still ongoing.

Also read:  Bomb explosion kills 5 children, injures 6 others in Katsina village — Police

In another development, three more corpses have been recovered from the flood that wrecked havoc in Rafin Sanyi in Suleja Local Government Area of Niger, bringing the death toll to 13.

The Chairman of the local government, Alhaji Abdullahi Maje, disclosed this on Monday, noting that 10 bodies had earlier been recovered on Saturday following the torrential rains which occurred on Saturday morning in the area.

He said that the three corpses had already been deposited at the Sabon Wuse General Hospital.

He explained that 18 people were affected in the flooding; 13 had died while five are still missing.

Maje stated that the ongoing search operation was being conducted by the police, Niger State Emergency Management Agency (NSEMA) and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC).

”We appeal to members of the public, especially those residing around Unguwar Gwari and Rafin Sanyi to support and cooperate with the search team for the success of the exercise,” Maje said.

The Chairman commended the effort of security and NSEMA personnel deployed to the scene for demonstrating high sense of professionalism in the ongoing search operations.

 

About the author

Maritime First