…As LASEMA says Collapsed building claims 7 lives in Lagos***
Four persons were confirmed dead on Monday in an early morning accident involving a Mazda bus and a Daf truck around Saapade bridge on the Lagos-Ibadan expressway.
Mr Ahmed Umar, the FRSC Sector Commander in Ogun confirmed the incident in Abeokuta, saying the accident occurred at 2:50 am and was caused by route violation and dangerous driving.
He explained that the truck driver drove wrongfully against traffic and had a head-on collision with the Mazda bus.
The FRSC boss added that six people were involved in the accident which comprised five male adults and one female adult, saying that four persons died which comprised of three male adults and one female adult.
“The accident involved a Daf truck marked AGL 813 XX and a Mazda bus with registration number FDY 265 XA,” he said.
Umar explained that the deceased had been deposited at FOS mortuary in Ipara.
The sector commander described the crash as avoidable, saying that it occurred in an accident-prone area and required utmost care while driving within the axis.
He commiserated with the families of the victims of the crash and enjoined them to contact FRSC command Ogere for details of the crash and reclaim the properties of the victims recovered from the scene.
The FRSC boss advised the motoring public to drive cautiously, avoid route violations and obey traffic rules and regulations.
In another development, the Director-General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, has confirmed that seven people died in a collapsed building in Lagos on Sunday.
Oke-Osanyintolu made the confirmation as the LASEMA Response Team tried to clear the debris of the building.
He said that the uncompleted building, at 60 Odo Street, Obalende, Eti-Osa Local Government Area, partially collapsed and injured 15 people.
“Immediately we received a distress call at about 4:30 p.m. on the incident, we activated our emergency response team and all responders headed for the scene.
“Rescue operation is still ongoing while initial findings are as follows: 10 Casualties treated with minor injuries, five severely injured persons exhumed from the remains and transferred to hospital,” he said.
Oke-Osanyintolu said that seven fatalities were discovered, six males and one female.
The body of another male victim was discovered at about 8:14 p.m., bringing the total number of fatalities to seven.