…As Kidnapped farmer’s son regains freedom in Oyo***
The Zamfara Government has confirmed the abduction of female students of Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe in Talata-Mafara Local Government Area of the state. Obviously, kidnapping of students in Government schools is now a gold mine.
The confirmation was made by the Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Alhaji Abubakar Dauran, in Gusau on Friday.
The abductors in their hundreds invaded the town and took away the students at about 2 a.m.
“I can confirm to you now that we have sadly received the report on the abduction of the students of GGSS Jangebe and right now, I am on my way to the school.
“At this moment, l cannot say how many students were taken away by the gunmen until l get there, but we have already mobilised security men and members of the vigilantatè who are now in pursuit of the abductors,” the commissioner stated.
A staff of the school who spoke on condition of anonymity said, “the gunmen in their hundreds invaded the town around 2 a.m on Friday, shot sporadically in the air to scare the residents before coming into the school.
“After taking away most of the students, we rounded up those that escaped or hid from the bandits and conducted a census where we counted 54 students and we are still searching to see if we can get more,” he said.
Also, a resident who gave his name as Haliru Jangebe, said ihat the local vigilantes had tried to repel the invaders but were overpowered.
“The bandits were too many and they all seemed to be carrying heavy arms as we heard gunshots from all parts of the town and when the shots stopped, we heard that the students had been taken away,” he said.
In another development, Ayodeji Emmanuel, the 24-year-old son of a poultry farmer, who was kidnapped on Monday in his father’s farm at Oke Odan, Apete area of Ibadan, has regained freedom.
The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), CSP Olugbenga Fadeyi confirmed the released of the victim on Friday in Ibadan.
Unknown gunmen stormed the poultry farm of the victim’s father at Oke Odan, Apete area around 5.00 p.m., and fired gunshots sporadically into the air before abducting him.
Fadeyi said the victim was released by his abductors on Thursday and had been reunited with his family.
He further said the release of the victim would not stop the police investigation into the case, adding that they were still on the trail of the abductors.
However, a member of the family, who declined to be mentioned because he is not authorised to do so, also confirmed the release of the victim, saying he was released around 7:15 p.m. on Thursday at Iseyin town, Oke-Ogun area of the state.
The family source did not disclose whether ransom was paid to secure the release of the victim, even though the kidnappers had earlier demanded N100 million ransom, for the release of the victim.