Entertainment Health and Safety

Alleged defilement: Police debunk rumors to release Baba Ijesha

Video: Mercy Aigbe, lawyers, activists, others protest alleged plans to release Baba Ijesha
Written by Maritime First

The Police Command in Lagos State has debunked the rumors that there were plans to release Nollywood actor, Baba Ijesha, who was arrested for alleged defilement.

The newmen gathered that Nollywood actress Iyabo Ojo, comedian Princess and others had stormed the SCID, Panti, to protest alleged plans to release Baba Ijesha by the police

The Police Public Relations Officer ( PPRO) in Lagos, CSP Olumuyiwa Adejobi, told newsmen that there were no plans to release the suspect as wrongly perceived.

He added that the Commissioner Police in Lagos State, CP Hakeem Odumosu, had ordered the detention of the suspect pending the receipt of legal advice from the Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPPs).

“The CP had already said that the suspect would remain in police custody and would not be released. His case file has been sent to the DPP for advice. After the DPP’s advice, we will know what to do.” he said.

Newsmen report that the 48-year-old Olarenwaju James, popularly known as Baba Ijesha, was arrested on April 22 for allegedly defiling a minor.

Also read: Princess narrates alleged Baba Ijesha rape incident

CSP Olumuyiwa Adejobi had said in a statement that preliminary findings revealed that the suspect started assaulting the victim sexually since she was seven years’ old.

There was an uproar following a report that a directive had been given for the release of the Nollywood acto from custody.

The report was that the suspect could be released as he could not be detained indefinitely due to the ongoing strike by members of the Judicial Staff Union of Nigeria (JUSUN) .

A video of the suspect confessing to the crime and begging for forgiveness had, however, gone viral following the rumour that investigation revealed that Baba Ijesha did not defile the victim.

About the author

Maritime First