… As Auto crash claims 2 lives in Onitsha***
Two unknown gunmen have been killed in a joint operation carried out by the Nigerian Army, Air Force and the Police in Imo.
The Commissioner of Police in the state, CP Abutu Yaro confirmed this to newsmen in Owerri on Thursday.
Yaro said that the bandits were killed in a gun battle between the military and the unidentified gunmen at Ikenanzizi in Obowo Local Government Area of the state.
He disclosed that two rifles, five motorcycles, a Lexus jeep and one 18 seater bus were recovered from the gunmen.
The commissioner further said that the operation was carried out in line with Federal Government’s resolve to rid the country of ravaging insecurity.
“It was a joint operation of the Army, Airforce and Police; two unknown gunmen were killed in the process and investigation is ongoing.
He however said that the team could lay hands on only one corpse as according to him, the hoodlums were able to escape with the second corpse.
“We have one corpse but they escaped with the other one and it has been deposited at the Federal Medical Centre Owerri, morgue,” he said.
He called on residents of the state to remain calm and go about their lawful activities adding that security agencies had the situation under “firm” control.
In the meantime, Two male adults on Thursday lost their lives in a road accident involving three vehicles at the flyover in Upper Iweka, Onitsha in Anambra.
Mr Utten Boyi, the Commander, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Anambra, confirmed the incident to the newsmen in Awka.
Boyi said the accident, which occurred at noon, was caused by speeding and loss of control.
“The crash involved a Mercedes trailer with registration number SMK 728 DA, a Toyota Hiace bus with registration number HTE 791 XA and a Mitsubishi L300 bus with registration number NNE 138 ZF.
“A witness report reaching us indicates that driver of the trailer, who was speeding, lost control of the vehicle and rammed into two other vehicles.
“A total of eight persons were involved in the crash, comprising five male adults, one female adult and two male children.
“One male adult of the eight persons, sustained some degrees of injuries, and was taken to Toronto Hospital by FRSC rescue team from Upper Iweka Command.
“Two male adults, who were passengers in one of the vehicles, were, however, confirmed dead by the doctor on duty.
“Their bodies had been deposited at the mortuary,” he said.
While condoling with families of the dead, Boyi warned motorists against speed limit violation.
He urged them to drive safely to avoid accidents and loss of lives.