Health and Safety

Plateau records huge decline in violent conflicts – agency

Plateau records huge decline in violent conflicts – agency
Written by Maritime First

… As PPBA Say s Jos jailbreak, a bad omen for Nigeria – PPBA***

The Plateau Peace Building Agency (PPBA) says there has been a huge decline in the outbreak of violent conflicts in the state.

The Director-General of the agency, Mr Joseph Lengmang, stated this at an interaction with journalists on Friday in Jos.

Lengmang acknowledged that although the state had had its fair share of violent conflicts that claimed many lives and property, adding that the trend had gone down.

He said that the efforts of the current administration in the state had contributed greatly to the peace currently being enjoyed in the state.

“It is not a hidden fact that Plateau had its fair share of violent conflicts where lives and property were lost.

“But today, we can categorically say that to a large extend these conflicts have declined.

“What we see today is the current wave of criminality that has engulfed entire society.

“As you all know, one of policy thrust of this government is peace and security, and the governor has shown serious commitment toward the peace we are enjoying today, “he said

Lengmang said that the agency had been engaging stakeholders, particularly at the rural areas, toward entrenching peaceful co-existence in the state.

He noted that the interactive session with the media was part of its efforts toward promoting peace in the state.

He urged the media to continue to promote peaceful co-existence and foster mutual respect among the people through their reportage.

In the same vein, the Plateau Peace Building Agency (PPBA), has described the recent attack on the Jos custodial centre by gunmen as a “bad omen” and threat to Nigeria’s fight against insecurity

The Director-General of the agency, Mr Joseph Lengmang, said this at an interactive session with journalists on Friday in Jos.

The newsmen report that gunmen invaded the custodial centre on Sunday evening, killed a personnel of the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS), nine inmates, while 252 inmates escaped during the invasion.

Mr Mohammed Tukur, Deputy Controller General of NCoS in charge of Operations, blamed the attack on paucity of modern equipment and other gadgets.

According to Lengmang, the attack remains a serious threat to the ongoing fight against insecurity in the state and the country in general.

He further decried the recurrent jailbreaks in the country and described the trend as dangerous and unhealthy for society.

“It is unfortunate that jailbreaks have been a recurrent decimal in this country. We had it in Imo, Kogi and what have you.

“By and large, what happened few days ago at the Jos custodial centre calls for deep concern and worry.

“The 252 inmates who escaped from the centre will have a negative impact on society.

We don’t know if they are armed, who and where they are.

“This development poses a serious threat to the current fight against insecurity because they have gone back into the society and the tendency to unleash mayhem,” he said.

Lengmang, who condemned the attack, called on security agencies to intensify efforts to rearrest the fleeing inmates.

He called on the Federal Government to install modern security equipment at the various custodial centres across the country to avert future occurrences.

 

About the author

Maritime First