Connect with us

Maritime

3,000th Neopanamax Transits New Panama Locks

Published

on

…As Home Office warned over plans to block immigration data access for EU citizens***

On March 2, the Panama Canal announced the transit of its 3,000th Neopanamax vessel, exceeding initial traffic expectations by this date.

The Panama-flagged containership MSC Caterina completed the milestone transit traveling northbound from the Pacific to the Atlantic Ocean.

Built in China in 2015, the vessel measures 300 meters in length and 48 meters in beam, with a total TEU allowance (TTA) of 9,000 containers. It was one of nine Neopanamax vessels the Panama Canal welcomed that day.

“Today’s milestone, achieved in less than two years of operation, serves as a proud reminder of the confidence that our customers and the broader maritime industry have placed in our route,” Jorge Luis Quijano, Canal Administrator, commented.

As explained by the Panama Canal Authority (ACP), the Neopanamax locks have had since its inauguration on June 26, 2016, a positive effect on economies of global scales by providing the shipping industry with greater capacity to transport cargo between production and consumer centers.

Of the 3,000 vessels that have transited to date, roughly 53 percent have been from the container segment. Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) vessels constitute another 28 percent, and liquified natural gas (LNG) carriers, a relatively new segment to the Panama Canal, have been responsible for 10 percent of traffic. Dry and liquid bulk carriers, car carriers and cruise ships make up the remaining transits.

Other notable transits so far include the MSC Anzu, which made the 1000th transit on March 19, 2017, and the COSCO Yantian which later registered the 2,000th transit on September 26, 2017.

Meanwhile, plans to deny millions of people the right to access immigration data held on them by the Home Office are illegal and will be challenged in court, the government has been told.

Organisations representing up to 3 million EU citizens living in the UK and digital rights activists have written to the home secretary, Amber Rudd, giving notice that they will take legal action if a clause in the data protection bill is enacted.

The threat is aimed at proposals in the bill to introduce an exemption for immigration information. It is claimed that the clause would prevent those facing deportation from obtaining and challenging the accuracy of personal data held on them by the government.

The two groups – the3million, a grassroots organisation representing EU citizens living in the UK, and the Open Rights Group (ORG), which campaigns on privacy rights and free speech online – argue that the clause in the bill breaches the government’s obligations under the EU’s general data protection regulation (GDPR).

The bill will be debated in parliament on Monday. Rosa Curling, a human rights solicitor from law firm Leigh Day, which is acting on behalf of the3million and ORG, said: “The immigration exemption creates a discriminatory two‐tier system for data protection rights. The clause is incompatible with GDPR, as well as EU law generally and the European convention on human rights.

“If the exemption is made law, our clients will apply for judicial review. They have written to the government today to urge it to reconsider and to remove the immigration exemption from the bill without further delay.”

Jim Killock, the ORG executive director, said: “This is an attempt to disguise the Home Office’s mistakes by making sure that their errors are never found. When people are wrongly told to leave, they would find it very hard to challenge.

“Data protection is a basic safeguard to make sure you can find out what organisations know about you, and why they make decisions. Sometimes, during criminal investigations, that isn’t appropriate, but immigrants aren’t criminals, nor should they be treated as such.”

Nicolas Hatton, the chairman of the3million, said: “The UK government has proposed setting up a new registration system for EU citizens after the UK leaves the EU, and this will potentially create a database with the personal details of over 3 million people.

“We need safeguards in place to ensure that these citizens have access to the information held about them, so they are able to appeal [against] Home Office decisions or correct mistakes. Everyone should be entitled to know how the Home Office and other government agencies are using their records, and that is why we want this exemption removed.”

The Labour MEP Claude Moraes, who chairs the European parliament’s civil liberties, justice and home affairs committee, is opposing the bill. “What is happening here is that the UK government, under the cover of the complexity of data protection law in particular, and its chaotic Brexit negotiations in general, is seeking to create damaging new discriminatory national immigration restrictions,” he has said.

World Maritime News with additional report from Guardian UK

Latest News

MWUN: Bello-Koko Is An Extra Ordinary Administrator Of Note Says Adeyanju

Published

on

MWUN: Bello-Koko Is An Extra Ordinary Administrator Of Note Says Adeyanju

… As he congratulates NPA Boss Bello-Koko, and SIFAX Boss, Dr. Afolabi 

The President-General of Maritime Workers Union of Nigeria (MWUN) Comrade (Dr.) Adewale Adeyanju has described the Managing Director of Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), Alhaji Bello Koko as an extraordinary administrator of note, who is truly deeply rooted, in port administration.

A Prince of Ibadan, Adewale Adeyanju made the observation, while congratulating Alhaji Bello Koko, who was recently honoured with double plaques, one for recognizing him as the “Public Servant of the Year 2023”; and as head of the “Outstanding Government Agency of the year 2023” respectively.

Dr. Adewale said that the Managing Director of NPA is not a mean administrator, having been so bestowed upon with these laudable awards by the Management of Champion Newspapers Limited.

Comrade Adewale Adeyanju, President General, Maritime Workers Union of Nigeria (MWUN)

“Alhaji Koko is deeply rooted in the Maritime sector, an extraordinary administrator of note; hence, his Germaine expertise has brought so many reforms of development to the Maritime sector”, the Ibadan Prince stated.

Comrade Adeyanju, who is also the Deputy President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) in concert with his executives believe that Koko still has a lot to offer in the industry, and his double awards are no flukes but a charge for more development in the Maritime sector.

In a similar vein, Prince Adeyanju also congratulated  Dr. Taiwo Olayinka Afolabi (M.O.N) for his appointment as the first Chancellor of Gerar University of Medical Sciences, Ogun State recently.

Dr. Taiwo Olayinka Afolabi (M.O.N)

Adeyanju and his entire Executives of the Maritime Workers Union salute the CEO/Founder of the SIFAX Group over his pragmatic conduct on work excellence, commitment to nation-building and a wonderful employer of labour in the Maritime Sector, whose better management of workers cannot be overemphasized.

Comrade Adeyanju says that Afolabi’s appointment as the pioneer Chancellor of the Gerar University of Medical Sciences is a result of his love for academic excellence, research and development for the growth of quality education in the country. It’s therefore not surprising that the Maritime Industry Guru was so appointed.

The Maritime Workers Union of Nigeria fervently pray that both the Managing Director of the Nigerian Ports Authority ( NPA ), Bello Koko and the CEO of SIFAX,  Dr. Afolabi find favour and mercy in the eyes of the Almighty God to accomplish much more in their various designations as so honoured.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Customs, VIO Confrontation: CGC Condemns officers’ misbehaviour, Opens Comprehensive investigation

Published

on

Customs, VIO Confrontation: CGC Condemns officers' misbehaviour, Opens Comprehensive investigation

…Says officers’ behaviour undermines CGC’s key policy thrusts of fostering collaboration with sister security agencies 

Customs Officers shown in a viral video in a physical confrontation with Vehicles Inspection Officers VIO are now in hot soup, as the Abuja High Command, has dissociated the Service from their unwholesome behaviour and began a comprehensive investigation on the development.

The National Public Relations Officer, Chief Superintendent of Customs, Abdullahi Maiwada who confirmed this on Tuesday, also stressed that the incident contradicts the values and operational standards of the NCS, aside from undermining key policy thrusts of the Comptroller-General of Customs, which is to foster collaboration with sister security agencies and other stakeholders.

“Furthermore, the NCS unequivocally dissociate itself from the actions of these officers…”

“The NCS acknowledges that the event occurred on Friday, 24 May 2024, at AYA Roundabout, Abuja VIO Office. The officers involved in this regrettable incident are NCS personnel attached to the Customs Mechanical Unit in Karu Barracks, Abuja”, Maiwada stated, expressing deep concern.

“The Service wishes to express its deepest concern and empathy for those affected by this regrettable incident. 

Customs, VIO Confrontation: CGC Condemns officers' misbehaviour, Opens Comprehensive investigation

“Furthermore, the NCS unequivocally dissociate itself from the actions of these officers. Their condemned behaviour, which appears to be self-motivated, is under thorough investigation, and appropriate disciplinary measures will be taken to forestall future occurrences.

“Such behaviour undermines one of the key policy thrusts of the Comptroller-General of Customs, which is to foster collaboration with sister security agencies…”

“It is essential to state that this incident contradicts the values and operational standards of the NCS. 

“Such behaviour undermines one of the key policy thrusts of the Comptroller-General of Customs, which is to foster collaboration with sister security agencies and other stakeholders to ensure the safety and security of Nigerians and their properties. 

“The NCS, under the leadership of CGC Bashir Adewale Adeniyi MFR and his Management Team, strongly condemns such conduct and does not tolerate any actions that jeopardise the commitment to professionalism and inter-agency cooperation”, the national spokesman said, stressing that the Customs Service remains steadfast in its mission to generate revenue, facilitate trade, and suppress smuggling to support a more robust and secure economy for all Nigerians, and would not tolerate any contradictory or unwholesome behaviour.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Seme Customs Generates N2.6bn Revenue; Facilitates Export Of 143,468Mt Cargo

Published

on

… Comptroller Bomodi says command recorded 474 interceptions of various contraband items

The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has achieved a significant milestone in revenue generation and export facilitation at the Seme/Krake border from January to May 2024. 

According to the Customs Area Controller (CAC), Comptroller Timi Bomodi, the command generated revenue of N2,634,190,645, surpassing the same period in 2023 by 272%.

The Command also facilitated the export of 143,468 metric tons of produce, with a Free Board (FOB) value of N35,199,971,097, equivalent to $38,461,397.39.

 Additionally, the command recorded 474 interceptions of various contraband items, including premium motor spirit, rice, used vehicles, codeine, cannabis sativa, wild animals, and general merchandise.

The seized items had a combined Duty Paid Value (DPV) of N840,003,646, and 18 suspects were arrested in connection with the seizures.

 The command has also set up a complaint desk to address issues concerning the molestation of females on this corridor, and has warned that stringent action will be taken against any officer found guilty of such acts.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Editor’s Pick

Politics