Connect with us

Health and Safety

ABIA: NSCDC nabs 3 alleged Oil ‘bunkerers’

Published

on

ABIA: NSCDC nabs 3 alleged Oil 'bunkerers'

…As Police nab housewife for allegedly killing 3-day-old baby in Niger***

Abia Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps has arrested three suspects, who allegedly specialised in siphoning petroleum products with valves hooked to oil pipelines.

The state Commandant, Mr Nnamdi Nwannukwu, said this in Umuahia on Tuesday, while briefing newsmen on the activities of the command aimed at checkmating the nefarious activities of vandals in the state.

Nwannukwu said that the suspects, identified as Ikechi Ngozi, Chukwudinma Allen and Nwokoro Nwapem, “were caught in the act” on Sept. 3.

“The suspects were caught in the act of affixing valves on the petroleum pipeline for the purpose of siphoning petroleum products illegally and loading it in GeePee tanks and drums fixed in standby buses”, he said, accusing the suspects of being behind the destruction of pipelines at Km 74.5 – 75.5 at Amekpu in Isialangwa North Local Government Area of Abia.

Nwannukwu said that the suspects confessed to have fixed the valves with the help of a technician, called Ogbuagu, who was still at large.

“These suspects have committed a lot of economic sabotage against our nation through their attacks on oil pipelines, which is a critical infrastructure to our nation.”

Also, the commandant said that the command arrested three other suspects for allegedly causing “malicious and collateral damage on a broken down truck, conveying petroleum products and conversion of the products.

“The suspects were arrested for their alleged involvement in criminal conspiracy and fraudulent misrepresentation of facts by some supposedly fake staff of the state Ministry of Environment,” he said.

He said that the suspects illegally towed the truck and “carted away the products, disassembled the truck and sold it in parts” to scrap dealers at Alaoji Old Parts Market, near Aba.

“The suspects are also being investigated for receiving stolen property at the scene of the crime at Imo Gate on the Enugu-Port Hacourt Hacourt Expressway,” he said.

He said that the command had spread its dragnet in search of other members of the syndicate, who allegedly had fake identify cards and emblems of the ministry in their possession, when operatives of the command accosted them.

The commandant therefore charged the state government to scrutinise the activities of scrap buyers in the state.

According to him, “It is a syndicate that goes about dismembering accidents and broken down, faulty vehicles and property of innocent road users that needed to be fixed, take them to unknown destination, pieces them and sell them off as scraps.”

He said that the command would arraign the six suspects at the end of its ongoing investigations.
The wife of one of the suspects, 33-year-old Amarachi Ugochukwu, was said to have been arrested at her shop housing some of the scraps.

In an interview with newsmen, Ugochukwu, who claimed that her husband was a dog meat seller, said that she had no knowledge of the alleged crime.

She however said that she did not know the whereabouts of her husband but admitted that they had been communicating via cellphone since she was arrested.

The driver of the tow van, Ikechukwu Achinihu, said that he was contracted by a man who drove in an Toyota Avelon.

Achinihu said that he was oblivious that the truck he was hired and paid to tow did not belong to the man.

He said that he was initially reluctant to do the job until the man and two others with him convinced him with identity cards that they were officials of the ministry.

He said that he also saw operatives of the corps and their vehicles,when he went to tow the truck, adding that the operatives gave them protection on their way to where he packed the truck.

He said that at a point on the expressway he lost sight of the man that hired him, until the third suspect, one Uchenna Iheonunekwu, suddenly showed up from his shop and directed him to where he packed the truck.

He said that he was surprised when men of the corps called him the following day, arrested him and asked him to take them to where he packed the truck.

Also read: NNPC, NSCDC intensify partnership to curb pipeline vandalism

The command’s spokesman, Mr Agu Ndukwe, said that the operatives were attracted to the truck on the expressway, when they noticed that it was conveying suspected petroleum products before it broke down.

Ndukwe said that when the operatives could not find the driver of the truck, they kept surveillance in the area; hence they had to escort the driver of the tow van to ascertain his destination.

He said that neither the driver nor owner of the truck nor the fake ministry officials, who allegedly hired the tow van, had yet to report to the command.

He said that efforts were being intensified by the command to track them down.

In the meantime, police in Niger have arrested a 22-year-old housewife, Harela Uba, of Shakodna village, Shiroro Local Government Area of the State for allegedly killing a three-day-old baby boy in the area.

The Commissioner of Police in the State, Alhaji Adamu Usman, disclosed this in Minna on Tuesday, noting that one Uba Saidu of Shakodna village in Shiroro Local Government Area, reported the matter at Shiroro Police Division that his second wife, Fa’iza Uba, of the same address, went into bathroom and left her three-day-old baby boy in her room.

“When she returned, she discovered white foam coming out from the mouth of the baby and he was immediately rushed to General Hospital, Kuta, where he was confirmed dead by a physician,” he said.

“The Police on reasonable suspicion invited his first wife, one Harela Uba,of the same address who is eight-month pregnant for questioning, being the one at home when the incident happened,” he said.

The Commissioner said that upon interrogation, the suspect confessed to giving her seven-year-0ld daughter, Khadija Uba, a liquid substance suspected to be insecticide also known as ‘Ota Pia-Pia’ , to administer on the child, which she did.

He said that the suspect would be charged to court upon completion of investigation.

 

Health and Safety

Clean Naija Campaign: Showcasing The Impact Of Dr Moyinoluwa Oladoye

Published

on

…In collaboration with Reckitt, Slum and Rural Health Initiative (SRHIN) and the Wellbeing Foundation Africa (WBFA)

Dr. Moyinoluwa Oladoye, a young visionary leader and healthcare social entrepreneur has radically influenced sanitation and hygiene practices in Nigeria.

 In collaboration with Reckitt, Slum and Rural Health Initiative (SRHIN), and the Wellbeing Foundation Africa (WBFA), he plays a leadership role as the Senior Programme Officer at SRHIN in a transformative initiative to improve the practice of handwashing, hygiene, and sanitation, to about 6 million Nigerians between 2019 and 2025. 

*Dr. Oladoye with representatives from Reckitt Nigeria and the Wellbeing Foundation Africa (WBFA).

With over 5 years of experience as a public health professional, Dr Oladoye has played a pivotal role in the Dettol Quest Hygiene Program that has reached hundreds of schools, health facilities and communities across 3 states in Nigeria since 2019. 

The Dettol Quest Hygiene Program, provides hygiene kits, materials, and structured education, which has led to a notable improvement in knowledge, attitudes, and behaviours associated with sanitation and hygiene practices in Nigeria.

*Group photo with some of the project beneficiaries (students) at the Dettol Quest Hygiene Program closeout event in Lagos, Nigeria. 

The most recent rigorous impact assessment conducted in 2023 led by Dr Oladoye spanned through students, community members, and mothers/ pregnant women via pre-implementation (baseline) and post-implementation (endline) surveys. The results showed remarkable improvement in the knowledge, attitude and practice of the project’s beneficiaries.

Following former President Muhammadu Buhari’s declaration for the Open Defecation-Free Nigeria by 2025 Order, Dr Oladoye is one of Nigeria’s leading Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) advocates whose projects on WASH have been presented at several state and national stakeholders meetings on WASH.

*Dr. Oladoye during the impact assessment presentation at the closeout event in Lagos, Nigeria. 

This includes the recent closeout event that held in Lagos, drawing a distinguished gathering of stakeholders, including Reckitt Nigeria, The Wellbeing Foundation Africa (WBFA), Slum and Rural Health Initiative (SRHIN), the Federal Ministry of Education, State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), Standards Organization of Nigeria (SON), and other pivotal figures in the fields of public health and education.

Continue Reading

Health and Safety

NDLEA Arrests 92 Suspects, Seizes 217kg Illicit Substances In Kaduna

Published

on

NDLEA arrests India-bound businessman with 9.40kg heroin in Lagos

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Kaduna State Command, has arrested 92 suspects and seized 217.02kg of illicit substances since the beginning of 2024.

The state Commander of NDLEA, Mr Samaila Danmalam, disclosed in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday in Kaduna.

According to him,  the suspects comprise 88 males and four females.

He added that the seized substances included Indian hemp, cocaine, heroin, tramadol and methamphetamine.

The commander said that NDLEA operatives raided 19 illicit drugs in the state during the period.

He said that the command secured the conviction of 24 suspects and charged  25 to court during the period.

“ln its drug demand reduction efforts, 29 drug users were counselled while seven drug addicts were successfully rehabilitated.

“In a bid to dissuade members of the public from illicit drug use and trafficking, enlightenment campaigns were carried out at various locations targeting 6,956 participants.

The commander called on members of the public to provide useful and timely information to the command, saying the fight against drug abuse and trafficking requires the support of all Nigerians.

  • NAN
Continue Reading

Health and Safety

Enugu Hospital Detains Nnewi Woman, Her Triplets Over N352,350 Delivery Bill

Published

on

Gov. Soludo appoints CPS, MD/CEOs, others

A private hospital, Praise and Grace Hospital and Maternity, Enugu, has detained Mrs Joan Orajiobi and her triplets over the family’s inability to pay the delivery bill of N352,350.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Orajiobi, a native of Nnewi in Anambra, gave birth to two girls and a boy in the hospital in Enugu on New Year’s Day.

Speaking to NAN from the hospital on Friday, Orajiobi, who lives at Ologo Quarters, Uwani Enugu, said she had been discharged on Jan. 8 but held by the hospital due to their inability to complete the hospital bill.

She said the hospital billed them a total of N482,350, but that her husband was only able to pay N130,000, the remaining balance of N352,350.

“The bill amounted to that because I gave birth through Caesarian Section (CS).
“I am a hairdresser. I had two girls already before this pregnancy came in May, but I never knew I was pregnant with triplets until the scan which showed that l was carrying twins.

Gov. Soludo appoints CPS, MD/CEOs, others
*Gov. Soludo of Anambra State

“I am pleading to Nigerians, organisations especially the governors of Enugu and Anambra States, to come to my rescue and assist us with financial support. I want to go home and take care my children.

“Anybody that is touched by our condition can reach and assist us through my husband’s Access Account Number 0043854232, Account Name: Nchekwube Orajiobi C. and his WhatsApp 08065846537,’’ she pleaded.

She added that she was always touched seeing other patients who came after them leaving the hospital while they were held because they could not pay.

The husband, Mr Cornelius Orajiobi, a trader, said they both hailed from Obiofia in Nnewi North Local Government Area of Anambra State.

He said he was excited to have triplets but regretted that it would be difficult for him and his wife to take care of the babies in terms of feeding.

“Nigerians should please assist us because this gift is bigger than what we can cater for alone.

“The N130,000 I deposited came from friends and well-wishers while I borrowed some.
“Apart from the medical bill, I need what I will use to bring up these kids,’’ he pleaded.

When contacted, the Medical Director of the hospital, Dr Shedrack Emeribe, told NAN that he operated on Orajiobi without a deposit from the family.

He added that it was after four days of the operation that her husband deposited N60,000 before making it up to N130,000.
He explained that all the things they were requested for the delivery were not provided, stressing that the hospital provided it for them.

“I told the husband to make an initial deposit of N150,000 but he never paid a dime till a few days after CS. But I have to save those lives,” he said.

He said that the bill of N482,350 included surgery, theatre, drug fees, and Hospital Services. 

Continue Reading

Editor’s Pick

Politics