Connect with us

Accidents

Accident kills 11, injures 16 in Niger

Published

on

… As Minister says Tanzania on high risk of Ebola outbreak***

No fewer than 11 people were feared dead on Tuesday in an auto crash involving a bus, Toyota Corolla and a Hilux van on Ibeto/Kontagora Road in Kontagora Local Government Area of Niger.

The Federal Road Safety Corps Unit Commander in Charge of Kontagora, Malam Abdullahi Ibrahim indicated this in Kontagora, saying that though 27 people were involved in the accident, 11 died on the spot while 16 others sustained various degrees of injuries.

He noted that the bus was heading toward Kebbi, while the Toyota Corolla and Hilux were going to Kontagora, adding that the accident was caused by wrong overtaking and speeding.

He said that bodies of the deceased were deposited at the morgue in Kontagora General Hospital, while the injured were receiving treatment in the same hospital, and seriously cautioned motorists against reckless driving, especially during the sallah celebration.

Meanwhile, a Tanzanian government senior official said on Tuesday that the country was on high risk of Ebola outbreak.

The Ebola Virus Disease killed 50 out of 91 patients in neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

Ummy Mwalimu, the east African nation’s Minister for Health, said the high risk categorization followed the World Health Organisation (WHO)’s new statistics showing that the new outbreaks in the DRC have occurred in regions closest to Tanzania than previous cases, including North Kivu and Ituri.

“Analysis by WHO has shown that countries neighboring the DRC including Tanzania are now at high risk of outbreak because North Kivu shares a common border with Uganda and there are many visitors and refugees fleeing from the region to Uganda and Rwanda,” she told a news conference in the commercial capital Dares Salaam.

Mwalimu said both North Kivu and Ituri provinces are hotspots for the humanitarian crisis in the DRC due to civilian unrest which has complicated efforts by local DRC authorities and the international community to contain the spread of the viral disease.

The new cases, the 10th in the DRC’s Ebola outbreaks, have been reported in health zones in North Kivu and Ituri provinces, coming just one week after the neighbouring country declared victory against an earlier outbreak that occurred in May.

“As of Aug. 1, WHO figures showed that there were only 26 confirmed new cases and 10 deaths that accounted for a fatality rate of 38.5 per cent but the spread of the disease persisted and by Aug. 18, there were 91 cases and 50 deaths which are equal to 54.9 percent fatality rate,” said the minister.

Along with the WHO figures, the minister said a total of 10 health workers in the DRC have also contracted Ebola and one of them died.

She added: “And there is cause for alarm because the workers caught the virus in normal health centers and not the designated Ebola treatment centers.”

So far, the minister said there was no Ebola case in Tanzania but noted that there was need to put in place control measures to ensure that the virus does not wreak havoc in the country as it has in the DRC.

“I call upon all citizens and residents of Tanzanian including health workers to understand and adhere to Ebola infection prevention and control measures,” she said.

Authorities are on high alert in the regions with high interaction with DRC, including Mwanza, Kagera, Kigoma, Katavi, Rukwa and Songwe to ensure that all visitors from the neighbouring country were properly screened, said Mwalimu.

She added that that the country’s international airports, including Julius Nyerere, Kilimajaro and Songwe were on full alert.

Mwalimu added that her ministry will be working with WHO round the clock to put in place Ebola surveillance and control mechanism.

Operational readiness assessment has already been conducted in Rukwa, Katavi, Songwe, Mbeya, Kigoma, Kagera, Arusha and Kilimanjaro regions, said Mwalimu.

She said the ministry has employed 33 additional staff in the Ebola control team and WHO has provided the ministry with 2.5 million U.S. dollars worth of equipment that has already been distributed to key centers, including personal protective equipment for health workers.

 

Accidents

17 die, 3 injured in Kano auto crash

Published

on

17 die, 3 injured in Kano auto crash

 Seventeen persons died and three others were injured in an auto crash in Yaura village, on Wudil-Bauchi Road, in Albasu Local Government Area.

The Kano State Sector Commander, Federal Road Safety Corps, Mr. Ibrahim Sallau Abdullahi, confirmed the incident in a statement signed by the Public Relations Officer, Abdullahi Labaran, on Thursday in Kano.

He said that the accident involved a Honda Accord with registration number NSR 81 VW and a Volkswagen Sharon (bus) with registration number NNG 275 XA.

According to the statement, the accident, in which one person escaped unhurt, occurred on Wednesday afternoon.

“Motorists passing by informed our patrol operatives at about 14.20p.m. Upon receiving the information, we quickly dispatched our personnel and vehicle to the scene of the incident to rescue the victims at 14.25p.m,” Abdullahi said.

The sector commander said that the crash occurred as a result of excessive speed, wrongful overtaking which led to a loss of control, and a head-on collision, with one of the vehicles bursting into the fire immediately.

“The crash involved a total of 21 passengers in the two vehicles, out of which 11 adult males, five adult females and one male child lost their lives while three others sustained serious injuries — one adult male, one adult female and one male child,” he said.

Abdullahi said the injured were taken to Wudil General Hospital for treatment, while the corpses of the deceased were handed over to relatives of the victims.

He advised motorists to obey traffic rules and regulations, to avoid needless deaths and injuries on our roads.

The sector commander commiserated with the families of the victims and prayed for the repose of the souls of the departed.

Continue Reading

Accidents

Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway: Truck crushes commercial motorcyclist, passenger driving one-way

Published

on

Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway: Truck crushes commercial motorcyclist, passenger driving one-way

A commercial motorcyclist and his passenger, on Wednesday, were killed, after colliding with a truck, at Bible College area on Lagos-Abeokuta expressway.

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Sector Commander in Ogun, Mr. Ahmed Umar, confirmed the accident to newsmen on Wednesday in Ota, Ogun.

Umar said that the accident, which happened at about 9.10 a.m., involved four people, a vehicle and a Bajaj motorcycle.

He said that the motorcycle, with no registration number, drove against traffic and collided with a Daf truck, marked: KTG 941 YG, leading to the death of the Okada rider and the passenger, while two others were unhurt.

“The corpses of the dead had been deposited at the morgue of the General Hospital, Ifo,” he said.

The sector commander blamed the accident on excessive speeding and route violation.

He advised motorists and okada riders to desist from excessive speeding to avoid unnecessary loss of life.

Umar also cautioned them to refrain from driving against traffic to prevent mishaps on the highway. 

Continue Reading

Accidents

10 roasted on Oyo-Ogbomoso Road; 5 burnt beyond recognition on Badagry-Seme Expressway

Published

on

Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway: Truck crushes commercial motorcyclist, passenger driving one-way

 No fewer than 10 passengers were burnt to death on Oyo-Ogbomoso road on Thursday, just as five persons were burnt beyond recognition in a fatal accident on the Badagry-Seme Expressway in Lagos on Thursday.

The passengers, involved in a head-on collision involving a Mazda and a Toyota Hiace passenger buses, were burnt beyond recognition.

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) confirmed the incident on Thursday in Ibadan.

The FRSC Sector Commander in the state, Joshua Adekanye, said the incident occurred at about 5.30 a.m. around Kilometres 12 Ijawaya on Oyo-Ogbomoso road.

He said that the buses with registration numbers LEM 963 XA and NSR 222 ZS were coming from Lagos and Nasarawa states respectively.

Adekanye said that the vehicles went on flame immediately resulting in the burning of the occupants.

He attributed the cause of the accident to speeding and overloading.

He called on motorists to always shun night travelling, speeding and overloading, adding that the fatality would have been reduced if the drivers were not on night journeys.

In another development, five persons were burnt beyond recognition while three others sustained injuries in a fatal accident on the Badagry-Seme Expressway in Lagos, also on Thursday.

*The remains of the Honda Pilot Jeep involved in a fatal accident on Badagry-Seme Expressway on Thursday.

Mr Sulaiman Taiwo, Unit Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) at Badagry, confirmed the accident.

He told newsmen that the accident occurred at Akoro Village, on the Badagry-Sème Expressway.

The accident involved a Honda Pilot SUV with registration number LSR 772 HE and motorcycle with an unidentifiable registration number.

Taiwo said the driver of the Honda Pilot must have been over-speeding and lost control before hitting the motorcycle laden with petrol.

“The driver of the jeep collided with the motorcycle resulting in an explosion.

10 roasted on Oyo-Ogbomoso Road; 5 burnt beyond recognition on Badagry-Seme Expressway

“By the time we got to the scene, the raging fire had burnt three persons beyond recognition, while two others lost their lives during the rescue operation.

“Three persons that survived the inferno were taken to the General Hospital in Badagry while the five corpses were deposited at the mortuary in the same hospital,’’ he said.

Taiwo added that the prompt response by personnel of the Customs Service, Fire Brigade, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps and the police have restored normalcy to the area.

 Speaking later with our correspondent, the Medical Director, General Hospital, Badagry, Dr Olatunde Bakare, said some relations of the dead had reported claiming the bodies, while the three survivors were receiving treatment at the Emergency Unit of the hospital.

He urged motorists and other road users to stop carrying petrol inside jerry cans in their vehicles as the rate at which the hospital was treating victims of fire incidents was alarming.

Continue Reading

Editor’s Pick

Politics