Connect with us

crime

BENUE: Police Arrest 4 For Alleged Banditry, Kidnapping Arrest

Published

on

NEMESIS: Kogi Police Officer Detained Over Alleged Robbery, Car Theft– CP

 The Police Command in Benue has arrested four persons for alleged involvement in banditry and kidnapping activities in the state.

This is contained in a  statement on Tuesday by the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) SP Sewuese Anene and made available to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Makurdi.

According to him, Ordoonku Kusuv, Msughter Tayough, and Liambee Adeadegh also known as Don-Konyo were arrested in Sankera axis of the State by Operation Zenda JTF over banditry activities.

“As part of follow up on clampdown on bandits and their activities in Sankera axis of Benue state, officers of the Operation Zenda JTF trailed and arrested some members of a viscous syndicate led by one Anyogor Mnguor and Terhemen Mzaga also known as Fullfire.

“This gang members specialised in kidnapping, attacking, and killing members of the public. The most recent is the gruesome murder of innocent people at Akpuna community on July 21 in Ukum local government area.”

She said the force recovered nine rounds of 7.62x39mm live ammunition from them during  the arrest.

She further stated that one Sonter Tyozughul was also arrested in connection with the kidnap of Dr Asema Msuega a resident doctor at General Hospital Ukum on July 23, who had been released.

Emouha Assault: Police De'ranks Inspector, Reprimand Another

She further stated that the suspect had confessed to having been actively involved in the crime.

She said that  Area Commanders, Divisional Police Officers, and Tactical Commanders had been directed to clamp down on illegal fabrication, sales, possession, and use of prohibited firearms in the state.

“Individuals involved in unlawful possession of arms and light weapons are hereby warned to submit such illegally possessed weapons to the police at the nearest police station. This voluntary act does not attract any penalty.

“Members of the public are hereby urged to report all suspicious firearms-related activities to their local police stations.

“This process is part of efforts to fight firearm-related offences and create an environment suitable for peaceful coexistence,“she stated

Continue Reading
Advertisement Simply Easy Learning
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

sixteen − 9 =

crime

Court Remands 72-year-old Ukpenor For Sexual Assaulting A 6-year -Old Girl

Published

on

Court Remands 72-year-old Ukpenor For Sexual Assaulting A 6-year -Old Girl

…As Onuoha, 46 is remanded for allegedly defiling a 17-year-old girl

 An Ikeja Chief Magistrates’ Court on Thursday remanded a 72-year-old man, Patrick Ukpenor in a correction centre for sexually assaulting a six-year-old girl.

Sexual assault attracts a three-year jail term while sexual assault by penetration is punishable by life imprisonment if convicted.

Magistrate E.Kubrinhe remanded Ukpebor at Kirikiri Correctional Centre where he will be until Aug. 13 for trial.

The court did not take the Ukpenor’s plea after the charge was read.

The prosecutor, Insp John Iberedem told the court that Ukpenor committed the offence on July 4 at  Amutu Street, Ilasamaja, Lagos.

Iberedem submitted that the septuagenarian sexually assaulted the six-year-old girl.

The prosecution said the offence contravened the provisions of Sections 261,263(1)of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State, 2015.

In another development, an Ikeja Chief Magistrates’ Court on Thursday remanded a 46-year-old man, Emek Onuoha, in a correctional centre for allegedly defiling a 17-year-old girl.

The Magistrate, Mrs E. Kubeinje, who did not take Onuoha’s plea, ordered the police to duplicate the case file and send the same to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for advice.

Kubeinje adjourned the case till Aug. 13 for DPP’s advice.

The defendant, who resides in Ikotun area of Lagos, is facing a two-count charge of defilement and breach of peace.

Earlier, the Prosecutor, Insp John Iberedem, told the court that the defendant committed the offences in May at Church Street, Jakande Gate, Ejigbo, Lagos.

Iberedem said that the defendant lured the girl into his room and forcefully had sexual intercourse with her.

He said the defendant was caught by some neighbours who handed him over to the police.

The prosecutor said the defendant conducted himself in a manner likely to breach the peace by having canal knowledge of the girl.

He said the offences contravened Sections 137 of the Criminal Law of Lagos, 2015. 

Continue Reading

crime

NEMESIS: Kogi Police Officer Detained Over Alleged Robbery, Car Theft– CP

Published

on

NEMESIS: Kogi Police Officer Detained Over Alleged Robbery, Car Theft– CP

…Plate number already changed to an Abuja number, and car dealer’s receipt backdated to 2020

 The police in Kogi have confirmed the arrest and detention of a Police Officer, Insp Aminu Mohammed, for alleged robbery and car theft.

The Spokesman, SP Williams Ovye-Aya, confirmed this to newsmen on Tuesday.

”Mohammed, a crime officer with the “C” Division at 200 Unit, Lokoja, is cooling his heels at the A Division of the command.

“Already, the State Commissioner of Police (CP) Bethrand Onuoha, has ordered an investigation into the involvement of the inspector in the crimes labelled against him,” Ovye-Aya said.

A reliable source revealed that Muhammed was in the police net for robberies around his duty station, in the Lokoja metropolis.

“The stolen car was found in the workshop of the policeman’s panel beater, Arome Moses, who was already working on changing the car’s colour at Ochadamu village.

“Those who know the vehicle and were aware of the robbery incident that occurred in the owner’s house on June 14, quickly raised an alarm upon sighting the car.

“An alarm was raised and the panel beater was arrested by policemen of the Quick Response Unit (QRU) attached to the Police Area Command, Idah.

“On interrogation, the panel beater spilt the beans, and the officer was invited and apprehended.

“The car plate number had already been changed to an Abuja number just as a car dealer’s receipt was backdated to 2020 and presented by the officer as evidence that he bought it,” the source said.

Continue Reading

crime

Alleged $6bn Fraud: Court Denies Agunloye’s Request For Medical Trip

Published

on

Alleged $6bn Fraud: Court Denies Ex-power Minister’s Request For Medical Trip

… Over 2003 Contract award titled “Construction of 3,960-megawatt Mambilla Power Station” on BOT basis, without any budgetary approval

 A Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court on Wednesday refused to grant an application filed by Dr Olu Agunloye, a former minister of power and steel, seeking to travel abroad for medical treatment.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is prosecuting him over certain infractions regarding the $6 billion Mambilla Hydroelectric Power Station in Taraba.

Agunloye, who served as a minister in the administration of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, is being prosecuted by EFCC, on behalf of the Federal Government, before Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie.

He was charged in the suit, marked FCT/HC/CR/617/22, with a seven-count charge bordering on forgery, disobedience of presidential order and corruption.

He was alleged to have, among others, on May 22, 2003, awarded a contract titled “Construction of 3,960-megawatt Mambilla Hydroelectric Power Station on build, operate and transfer basis to Sunrise Power and Transmission Company Limited without any budgetary provision, approval and cash backing.

The prosecution also alleged that it traced some suspicious payments made by Sunrise Power and Transmission Company Limited to the former minister’s accounts.

The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Delivering a ruling, Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie, held that the defendant failed to adduce sufficient evidence to show that his ailment could not be treated by a hospital in Nigeria.

He therefore dismissed his application to travel abroad for medical treatment.

The judge subsequently, adjourned until Sept 23 for continuation of trial.

On January 11, Agunloye was arraigned on a seven-count charge bordering on fraudulent award of contract and official corruption.

The court admitted him to bail in the sum of N50 million.

The court also seized his passport as one of the bail conditions.

Agunloye, through his counsel, Adeola Adedipe, SAN, had applied for the release of his passport to enable him to travel.

At the last adjourned date, Adedipe said his client needed urgent medical attention abroad.

Some of the documents tendered by the defence lawyer included medical reports from University College Hospital, Ibadan and the NISA Premier Hospital, Abuja.

The defendant also included a letter from the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) and an invitation from a foreign medical analyst requesting him to travel abroad for an urgent medical evaluation.

However, the application was opposed by the EFCC which claimed the former minister was a flight risk, having amply demonstrated unwillingness to present himself for trial until he was declared wanted.

Continue Reading
ADEBAYO SARUMI: Doyen of Maritime Industry Marks 80th Anniversary, Saturday 

Editor’s Pick

Politics