Connect with us

Foreign News

BREXIT: EU citizens living in Britain can remain after 2019

Published

on

The British Government said on Tuesday that most EU citizens currently living in Britain would be allowed to remain in the country after Brexit in 2019.

Outlining plans for a mass registration programme, the Department for Exiting the EU and the interior ministry said EU nationals would be given a two-year grace period to apply for settled status after Britain leaves the EU.

The legal status and rights of EU nationals is one of the thornier issues in Britain’s complicated exit from the bloc.

There are about three million EU citizens living in Britain.

Caseworkers will be able to use discretion when processing applications, meaning they should not be refused for minor technicalities, and the majority would be granted, the departments, said in a statement.

The cost of an application should be no more than the cost of a British passport and EU citizens will also be given a statutory right of appeal if denied.

“We have been clear that safeguarding the rights of EU citizens is our top priority in negotiations,” Brexit Minister, David Davis, said.

“We will support everyone wishing to stay to gain settled status through a new straightforward, streamlined system.”

Foreign News

Israeli Defence Minister Reports Death Of Hamas Terrorists

Published

on

…As Norway is to deliver six F-16 fighter jets to Ukraine

 Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant on Wednesday said that the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) have killed a majority of Hamas terrorists and most of the Islamist organisation’s battalions smashed.

Gallant commented on parliament on Wednesday, according to Israeli media.

Israel announced the destruction of Hamas as a war objective after the massacres carried out by Hamas and other extremist groups on October 7.

“As long as Hamas retains a hold in the Gaza Strip, it can rebuild and strengthen itself, “Israeli officials have said.

So the IDF would then have to return and fight in areas where it had already been deployed.

Gallant has called for the creation of a political alternative to Hamas rule in the Gaza Strip.

However, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has so far refused to present a plan for the administration and reconstruction of Gaza after the end of the war.

Observers say this is likely because he is trying to avoid conflict with his far-right coalition partners who favour the building of Israeli settlements in the Gaza Strip, a proposition. 

In another developmnet, the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) member, Norway, will supply six F-16 fighter jets to Ukraine.

The first is due to arrive by the end of the year, the government in Oslo confirmed on Wednesday.

“Ukraine’s ability to defend itself against air attacks is crucial in its battle against Russia,” Norwegian Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre said in a statement.

It has been known for some time that Norway intends to send F-16s to Ukraine as part of an international coalition.

However, the timing has so far been as unclear as the exact number of aircraft.

Even though several countries have pledged to deliver the US-built fighters, none are known to have yet arrived in Ukraine.

On the fringes of the NATO summit in Washington on Tuesday, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said his country hopes to receive its first F-16s this summer.

Ukraine, which has been under attack from Russia since February 2022, needs at least 128 fighter jets, Zelensky said.

According to the government, Norway decommissioned its F-16s in 2021 as part of the introduction of new F-35 fighter jets. Of the fighters withdrawn from service, 32 were sold to Romania.

– dpa

Continue Reading

Foreign News

Sunak Insists Predictions Of Defeat Not Going To Stop Him

Published

on

Sunak Insists Predictions Of Defeat Are Not Going To Stop Him

British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has insisted that predictions of a Conservative defeat are not going to stop him after the likelihood of his return to Downing Street.

He said this was put at less than “lightning striking twice in the same place” by a polling expert.

He was asked during a “BBC Breakfast’’ interview whether he accepted the analysis by-elections guru Professor John Curtice, the prime minister said: “That’s his view.

“That’s not going to stop me from working as hard as I can over these final few days to talk to as many people as possible about the choice.”

“And I was up at 4 this morning talking to workers at a distribution facility.

“I’m here talking to you. I’ll be out till the last moment of this campaign because I think it’s an important choice for the country.”

Sunak kicked off a final push for votes on the last two days of the campaign with an early morning visit to an Ocado packing plant in Bedfordshire.

Then he stopped at a Morrisons near Witney the former Oxfordshire seat of Foreign Secretary, David Cameron where the conservatives won with a 15,200 majority in 2019.

In a last-ditch attempt to rally conservative voters, the Tory leader claimed in a speech on Tuesday that just 130,000 voters could prevent a Labour “supermajority.”

He denied that his switch from talking about his policy plans to warnings about a landslide for Keir Starmer and his Labour Party was the language of defeat.

“No, I’m much still talking to people about our plan,” he said.

Sunak also defended the conservative campaign, in spite of it having failed to narrow the opinion poll gap with Labour.

It was asked if he had got the campaign wrong after it was hit by debacles including his early D-day departure and the gambling row, the prime minister said

“No, actually everywhere I’ve been going, people are waking up to the dangers of what a labour government would mean for them, particularly when it comes to taxes.”

He said under the conservatives, things were undeniably better than they were a few years ago.

“When it comes to the things that we want to do, people can see that we have turned a corner,” he said.

Meanwhile, Starmer said a big Labour majority would be better for the country.

The Labour leader hammered home his get-out-the-vote message on a whistlestop campaign tour to Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Staffordshire on Tuesday.

In an interview with The Times, he said he needed a strong mandate to reform the planning system and improve the economy.

Liberal Democrat leader Ed Davey is continuing his action-packed campaign tour to the South-West of England where he will call on voters to end the sewage scandal. 

– dpa

Continue Reading

Foreign News

S/Korea slams N/Korea-Russia treaty, hints at potential arms supply to Ukraine

Published

on

S/Korea slams N/Korea-Russia treaty, hints at potential arms supply to Ukraine

….As Another cargo ship is seized on suspicion of violating UN sanctions on N/Korea

The South Korean government on Thursday said it would reconsider its stance on arms supply to Ukraine after North Korea and Russia signed a treaty to mutually provide immediate military assistance if one of them is attacked.

National Security Advisor Chang Ho-jin also condemned “the comprehensive strategic treaty” signed during the summit between Russian President Vladimir Putin and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Pyongyang on Wednesday.

“The government expresses grave concern and condemns the signing of the comprehensive strategic partnership agreement between North Korea and Russia, which aims to strengthen mutual military and economic cooperation,” Chang said in a press briefing at the presidential office.

Chang said any cooperation that directly or indirectly aids North Korea’s military enhancement is a violation of United Nations Security Council resolutions and will be subject to international scrutiny and sanctions, and vowed to take corresponding measures.

“We plan to reconsider the issue of arms support to Ukraine,” Chang also said, suggesting a shift in South Korea’s policy of not providing lethal aid to Ukraine.

A presidential official said South Korea will maintain strategic ambiguity regarding the types of weapons that could be supplied to Ukraine.

“Specific measures will be revealed later, and it will be interesting to see how Russia responds, rather than revealing our plans in advance,” the official told reporters.

Air defense systems could be on the list as Ukraine is in desperate need of missile shields to counter Russian air strikes, according to government sources.

South Korea will also slap additional sanctions on four Russian ships, five organizations, and eight individuals involved in the transfer of weapons and oil between Russia and North Korea, Chang said.

There are 1,159 items subject to export controls to Russia following the Ukraine war, and South Korea will add 243 new items, bringing the total to 1,402 items under sanctions.

Chang said it is “troubling” that North Korea and Russia, with their history of initiating the Korean War and the Ukraine War, respectively, pledged military cooperation based on the hypothetical scenario of a preemptive attack.

“This is a fallacious and irrational argument that disregards international responsibility and norms,” he said.

In light of deepening ties between Pyongyang and Moscow, the government vowed to sternly respond to any security threats in coordination with the international community.

“We will further strengthen the extended deterrence of the S. Korea-U.S. alliance and the security cooperation among South Korea, the United States, and Japan to deter North Korea’s nuclear and missile threats,” Chang said. 

In another development, the South Korea seized a 2,900-ton cargo ship near the Korea Strait on Thursday on suspicion of violating UN Security Council (UNSC) sanctions against North Korea, sources said.

File photo shows a cargo ship, DEYI, on March 30, 2024, in waters off Yeosu committing alleged activities in violation of UN Security Council sanctions against North Korea. (Yonhap).

The foreign-flagged freighter, reportedly carrying coal and iron ore with 10 crew members, was en route from Russia to China, presumably via North Korea, when it was seized.

The vessel is now anchored at an anchorage in Busan on the country’s southeastern coast.

“With the vessel’s suspected violation of the UNSC sanctions, relevant government agencies are taking necessary steps in line with the international and domestic laws,” the foreign ministry said in response to a Yonhap query about the ship, without providing further details.

In late March, another 3,000-ton cargo ship, DEYI, which was heading to Vladivostok, Russia, was seized in waters off Yeosu, along the southern coast, under similar suspicions.

The ship is also currently anchored at the anchorage at Busan Port, with the captain and other crew onboard.

– Yonhap

Continue Reading
ADEBAYO SARUMI: Doyen of Maritime Industry Marks 80th Anniversary, Saturday 

Editor’s Pick

Politics