Connect with us

Health and Safety

Call off strike, patients beg Imo resident doctors

Published

on

Call off strike, patients beg Imo resident doctors

…As Expert says Being over 40 years is risk factor for Prostate Cancer***

Patients at the Imo State University Teaching Hospital (IMSUTH) have urged the Association of Resident Doctors (ARD) in Imo to call off their four-week strike in the interest of public health.

Many of the patients made the call when News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) correspondent visited the hospital in Orlu on Thursday.

One of them, Mr Sunday Okoroji who has been on admission for seven months, said that the prolonged industrial strike was delaying his healing  process.

He begged the state  government to hearken to the demands of the doctors so as to enable them resume work.

Another patient, Chijioke Udorie, (9) who said that he was hit by stray bullet, also called on the doctors and government to come to a common agreement and end the strike, adding that he was going through a lot of pain.

“The doctors said that they were not well paid and that they were tired of working on empty stomach.

“I’m begging my governor to listen to the doctors and pay them in full so that they can treat us,”he appealed.

Also speaking, Mrs Nkeiruka Onyekachi, an orthopedic patient lamented that the prolonged strike had been increasing her bills.

According to her, she is more than half way healed and was expecting to be discharged when the strike commenced.

The Chairman, ARD, IMSUTH Dr Bright Chukwunta said that the strike was a continuation of an earlier strike the doctors had suspended after reaching agreement with Gov. Emeka Ihedioha shortly after he was sworn in.

Chukwunta, who was represented by the Secretary General of the association, Dr Chinonso Muokwe said doctors’ demands include payment of full subvention and provision of necessary equipment in the hospital.

The chairman also identified repair of access roads leading to the hospital as on of the doctors’ demands.

“We had a gentleman agreement with the state governor seven days after he assumed office where he promised to restore our subvention to 100 per cent.

“He also agreed to pay arrears of salaries owed us, and fix access roads to the hospital.

“It is almost five months down the line and nothing has been done in that regard.

Also read:  Consider your patients before embarking on strike, Obasanjo tells doctors

“This is why on Sept. 12, we recommenced a previously suspended strike on the ground of breach of agreement on the part of government.

Dr Okoro Izuchukwu, a former secretary general of ARD, IMSUTH also said that the health and well-being of doctors was paramount, adding that doctors could not work on empty stomach.

He also said that most of the patients could not afford private health care bill, noting that government hospitals were more affordable.

“We call on the state government to fulfill its promises because government sponsored health facilities are more affordable and easier to access.

“This is why the welfare of doctors here is paramount as we cannot effectively function on empty stomach,”he said.

In the meantime, Dr Bassey Eyo, a member of the Medical Women Association of Nigeria (MWAN), Cross River
chapter, on Thursday, said that being a man of over 40 years is a risk factor in contracting prostate cancer.

She told News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Calabar that “having a family history of the disease also makes a man prone to contracting the ailment.”

Eyo said prostate cancer was common in men of over 40 years and for a man to be safe, he needed to be screened.

She explained that during screening, an antigen called prostate-specific antigen is picked in the blood, and when these antigens
are more than four, it is then suspected that the man has contracted prostate cancer.

She noted that physical examination would also be carried out on the man, after taking his history.

According to her, there is no specific known cause of prostate cancer, except that it has a hereditary part and can
be influenced by bad lifestyle like smoking, drinking and excessive use of tobacco.

She advised that “any man who is above 40 years should go get a Digital Rectile Examination (DRE); it is not painful or expensive, unfortunately, many Nigerians wait for the disease to come first before they treat.

She explained that “DRE is a test for both men and women. It allows a doctor to check the lower rectum, pelvis, and lower belly for cancer and other health problems.

“Depending on the stage of the prostate cancer, it could be operated on or drugs can be given to the patient which he would be taking for life.

“Anyone that has a male in his family that died from prostate cancer or that encounters difficulty in urinating or sees traces of blood in his urine should get immediate checkup.

“Even those who experience excessive urination, split urine during urination or a feeling of some urine left after urination should run to hospital for DRE.”

The MWAN member said that the Cross River chapter of the association had declared the month of October as cancer-free month with the theme “I can and I will” and outlined programmes, ranging from enlightenment campaigns to free cancer screenings in the state.

 

Health and Safety

Clean Naija Campaign: Showcasing The Impact Of Dr Moyinoluwa Oladoye

Published

on

…In collaboration with Reckitt, Slum and Rural Health Initiative (SRHIN) and the Wellbeing Foundation Africa (WBFA)

Dr. Moyinoluwa Oladoye, a young visionary leader and healthcare social entrepreneur has radically influenced sanitation and hygiene practices in Nigeria.

 In collaboration with Reckitt, Slum and Rural Health Initiative (SRHIN), and the Wellbeing Foundation Africa (WBFA), he plays a leadership role as the Senior Programme Officer at SRHIN in a transformative initiative to improve the practice of handwashing, hygiene, and sanitation, to about 6 million Nigerians between 2019 and 2025. 

*Dr. Oladoye with representatives from Reckitt Nigeria and the Wellbeing Foundation Africa (WBFA).

With over 5 years of experience as a public health professional, Dr Oladoye has played a pivotal role in the Dettol Quest Hygiene Program that has reached hundreds of schools, health facilities and communities across 3 states in Nigeria since 2019. 

The Dettol Quest Hygiene Program, provides hygiene kits, materials, and structured education, which has led to a notable improvement in knowledge, attitudes, and behaviours associated with sanitation and hygiene practices in Nigeria.

*Group photo with some of the project beneficiaries (students) at the Dettol Quest Hygiene Program closeout event in Lagos, Nigeria. 

The most recent rigorous impact assessment conducted in 2023 led by Dr Oladoye spanned through students, community members, and mothers/ pregnant women via pre-implementation (baseline) and post-implementation (endline) surveys. The results showed remarkable improvement in the knowledge, attitude and practice of the project’s beneficiaries.

Following former President Muhammadu Buhari’s declaration for the Open Defecation-Free Nigeria by 2025 Order, Dr Oladoye is one of Nigeria’s leading Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) advocates whose projects on WASH have been presented at several state and national stakeholders meetings on WASH.

*Dr. Oladoye during the impact assessment presentation at the closeout event in Lagos, Nigeria. 

This includes the recent closeout event that held in Lagos, drawing a distinguished gathering of stakeholders, including Reckitt Nigeria, The Wellbeing Foundation Africa (WBFA), Slum and Rural Health Initiative (SRHIN), the Federal Ministry of Education, State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), Standards Organization of Nigeria (SON), and other pivotal figures in the fields of public health and education.

Continue Reading

Health and Safety

NDLEA Arrests 92 Suspects, Seizes 217kg Illicit Substances In Kaduna

Published

on

NDLEA arrests India-bound businessman with 9.40kg heroin in Lagos

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Kaduna State Command, has arrested 92 suspects and seized 217.02kg of illicit substances since the beginning of 2024.

The state Commander of NDLEA, Mr Samaila Danmalam, disclosed in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday in Kaduna.

According to him,  the suspects comprise 88 males and four females.

He added that the seized substances included Indian hemp, cocaine, heroin, tramadol and methamphetamine.

The commander said that NDLEA operatives raided 19 illicit drugs in the state during the period.

He said that the command secured the conviction of 24 suspects and charged  25 to court during the period.

“ln its drug demand reduction efforts, 29 drug users were counselled while seven drug addicts were successfully rehabilitated.

“In a bid to dissuade members of the public from illicit drug use and trafficking, enlightenment campaigns were carried out at various locations targeting 6,956 participants.

The commander called on members of the public to provide useful and timely information to the command, saying the fight against drug abuse and trafficking requires the support of all Nigerians.

  • NAN
Continue Reading

Health and Safety

Enugu Hospital Detains Nnewi Woman, Her Triplets Over N352,350 Delivery Bill

Published

on

Gov. Soludo appoints CPS, MD/CEOs, others

A private hospital, Praise and Grace Hospital and Maternity, Enugu, has detained Mrs Joan Orajiobi and her triplets over the family’s inability to pay the delivery bill of N352,350.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Orajiobi, a native of Nnewi in Anambra, gave birth to two girls and a boy in the hospital in Enugu on New Year’s Day.

Speaking to NAN from the hospital on Friday, Orajiobi, who lives at Ologo Quarters, Uwani Enugu, said she had been discharged on Jan. 8 but held by the hospital due to their inability to complete the hospital bill.

She said the hospital billed them a total of N482,350, but that her husband was only able to pay N130,000, the remaining balance of N352,350.

“The bill amounted to that because I gave birth through Caesarian Section (CS).
“I am a hairdresser. I had two girls already before this pregnancy came in May, but I never knew I was pregnant with triplets until the scan which showed that l was carrying twins.

Gov. Soludo appoints CPS, MD/CEOs, others
*Gov. Soludo of Anambra State

“I am pleading to Nigerians, organisations especially the governors of Enugu and Anambra States, to come to my rescue and assist us with financial support. I want to go home and take care my children.

“Anybody that is touched by our condition can reach and assist us through my husband’s Access Account Number 0043854232, Account Name: Nchekwube Orajiobi C. and his WhatsApp 08065846537,’’ she pleaded.

She added that she was always touched seeing other patients who came after them leaving the hospital while they were held because they could not pay.

The husband, Mr Cornelius Orajiobi, a trader, said they both hailed from Obiofia in Nnewi North Local Government Area of Anambra State.

He said he was excited to have triplets but regretted that it would be difficult for him and his wife to take care of the babies in terms of feeding.

“Nigerians should please assist us because this gift is bigger than what we can cater for alone.

“The N130,000 I deposited came from friends and well-wishers while I borrowed some.
“Apart from the medical bill, I need what I will use to bring up these kids,’’ he pleaded.

When contacted, the Medical Director of the hospital, Dr Shedrack Emeribe, told NAN that he operated on Orajiobi without a deposit from the family.

He added that it was after four days of the operation that her husband deposited N60,000 before making it up to N130,000.
He explained that all the things they were requested for the delivery were not provided, stressing that the hospital provided it for them.

“I told the husband to make an initial deposit of N150,000 but he never paid a dime till a few days after CS. But I have to save those lives,” he said.

He said that the bill of N482,350 included surgery, theatre, drug fees, and Hospital Services. 

Continue Reading

Editor’s Pick

Politics