Connect with us

Health and Safety

Court dissolves 17-yr-old marriage over unresolved disagreements

Published

on

My wife eloped with a witch doctor 8 years ago, divorce seeking man tells court

…As NAPTIP nabs 62-year-old man for allegedly defiling 12-year-old girl***

An Idi-Ogungun Customary Court in Ibadan on Thursday dissolved a 17-year-old marriage between one Taofeeq Balogun and his wife, Baliqis, over unresolved disagreements.

Balogun, a 48-year-old diesel and oil marketer, who lives at Idi-Osan area of Ibadan, told the court that he didn’t want his wife anymore, but requested to have the custody of his daughter.

According to him, his wife changed drastically the very moment she returned from her journey to Dubai.

“I disagreed with her when she mentioned the issue of travelling to Dubai but her father pleaded with me to allow her make the trip.

“When she returned, she began to see everything as uninteresting and disgusting; nothing I did pleased her again.

“Our daughter was only six years old when she first travelled, but on returning home, she spent only three months before embarking on a second trip, also to Dubai.

“I have been the one taking care of our daughter since then, but she insisted on taking the child to a boarding school.

“Without my consent and before her second trip, she took the child to an undisclosed boarding school,” he said.

Balogun explained that after he eventually got to know the whereabouts of his child, he was forced to pick her up at Amuloko area of Ibadan.

“But when she returned, she reported at the police station that I kidnapped her child,” he said.

Balogun added that after presenting their wedding pictures and evidence of the child’s birth, the police advised them to go back home and resolve their differences amicably.

“But all she keeps saying is that she doesn’t want me again,” he said.

Baliqis, a 40-year-old foodstuffs seller, who lives at Muslim Odinjo area of the city, however, said that her husband married another woman not too long after their marriage.

“I didn’t get angry at this because it was probably due to my inability to have another child for him.

“It was true he didn’t want me to travel when I got the opportunity, but he later agreed because my father pleaded with him and I promised him that I won’t misbehave.

“When I returned, I couldn’t recognise my child because she looked so rough and unkempt; he wasn’t taking care of her at all.

“My child was about entering Primary One when I left the first time, but now, she knows nothing again.

“I had to take her to a boarding school to start from kindergarten again, even at 10 year, but he went there to take her away,” she said.

After hearing both parties, the President of the court, Chief Mukaila Balogun, dissolved their marriage, giving the custody of the child to the husband.

The president said that the custody was so awarded because Baliqis was living with a married female friend.

Also read:  Court dissolves 10-year-old marriage over disobedience, lack of care

In the meantime, the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), Benin Zonal Command, has taken into custody, a 62 years old cobbler, Chukwudi Agustine, for allegedly raping a 12-year-old girl.

Mr Nduka Nwanwenne, the Benin Zonal Comnander, told News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Thursday, in Benin, that the victim who is a student, also helps her mother to sell  “Zobo”, a locally made beverage drink.

Nwanwenne said the suspect had purchased N50 worth of Zobo from the victim and gave her N500 note.

“The little girl, who had no change, agreed to come for her money after the day’s sales because she was familiar with the suspect and the environment.

“Two weeks later, the victim went back to the suspect’s shop to collect her money but she did not meet him there.

“She was however, directed by the suspect’s apprentice to his house. When she knocked at his door, the suspect dragged her in forcefully and defiled her.”

Nwanwenne said that the cry of the victim attracted the suspect’s neighbours who rescued her.

According to the zonal commander, “on realising that the law would catch up with him, the suspect allegedly tried to settle the victim’s mother with the sum of N50,000.

“He later reduced the settlement sum to N30,000 before he was apprehended by the men of the State Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defense Corps (NSCDC) who handed him over to NAPTIP,” he said.

Nwanwenne told NAN that the suspect, who hails from Ishiagu Community in Ohazaria Local Government Area of Ebonyi, had allegedly admitted to the crime as investigation was being concluded to charge him to court.

 

 

 

Health and Safety

Clean Naija Campaign: Showcasing The Impact Of Dr Moyinoluwa Oladoye

Published

on

…In collaboration with Reckitt, Slum and Rural Health Initiative (SRHIN) and the Wellbeing Foundation Africa (WBFA)

Dr. Moyinoluwa Oladoye, a young visionary leader and healthcare social entrepreneur has radically influenced sanitation and hygiene practices in Nigeria.

 In collaboration with Reckitt, Slum and Rural Health Initiative (SRHIN), and the Wellbeing Foundation Africa (WBFA), he plays a leadership role as the Senior Programme Officer at SRHIN in a transformative initiative to improve the practice of handwashing, hygiene, and sanitation, to about 6 million Nigerians between 2019 and 2025. 

*Dr. Oladoye with representatives from Reckitt Nigeria and the Wellbeing Foundation Africa (WBFA).

With over 5 years of experience as a public health professional, Dr Oladoye has played a pivotal role in the Dettol Quest Hygiene Program that has reached hundreds of schools, health facilities and communities across 3 states in Nigeria since 2019. 

The Dettol Quest Hygiene Program, provides hygiene kits, materials, and structured education, which has led to a notable improvement in knowledge, attitudes, and behaviours associated with sanitation and hygiene practices in Nigeria.

*Group photo with some of the project beneficiaries (students) at the Dettol Quest Hygiene Program closeout event in Lagos, Nigeria. 

The most recent rigorous impact assessment conducted in 2023 led by Dr Oladoye spanned through students, community members, and mothers/ pregnant women via pre-implementation (baseline) and post-implementation (endline) surveys. The results showed remarkable improvement in the knowledge, attitude and practice of the project’s beneficiaries.

Following former President Muhammadu Buhari’s declaration for the Open Defecation-Free Nigeria by 2025 Order, Dr Oladoye is one of Nigeria’s leading Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) advocates whose projects on WASH have been presented at several state and national stakeholders meetings on WASH.

*Dr. Oladoye during the impact assessment presentation at the closeout event in Lagos, Nigeria. 

This includes the recent closeout event that held in Lagos, drawing a distinguished gathering of stakeholders, including Reckitt Nigeria, The Wellbeing Foundation Africa (WBFA), Slum and Rural Health Initiative (SRHIN), the Federal Ministry of Education, State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), Standards Organization of Nigeria (SON), and other pivotal figures in the fields of public health and education.

Continue Reading

Health and Safety

NDLEA Arrests 92 Suspects, Seizes 217kg Illicit Substances In Kaduna

Published

on

NDLEA arrests India-bound businessman with 9.40kg heroin in Lagos

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Kaduna State Command, has arrested 92 suspects and seized 217.02kg of illicit substances since the beginning of 2024.

The state Commander of NDLEA, Mr Samaila Danmalam, disclosed in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday in Kaduna.

According to him,  the suspects comprise 88 males and four females.

He added that the seized substances included Indian hemp, cocaine, heroin, tramadol and methamphetamine.

The commander said that NDLEA operatives raided 19 illicit drugs in the state during the period.

He said that the command secured the conviction of 24 suspects and charged  25 to court during the period.

“ln its drug demand reduction efforts, 29 drug users were counselled while seven drug addicts were successfully rehabilitated.

“In a bid to dissuade members of the public from illicit drug use and trafficking, enlightenment campaigns were carried out at various locations targeting 6,956 participants.

The commander called on members of the public to provide useful and timely information to the command, saying the fight against drug abuse and trafficking requires the support of all Nigerians.

  • NAN
Continue Reading

Health and Safety

Enugu Hospital Detains Nnewi Woman, Her Triplets Over N352,350 Delivery Bill

Published

on

Gov. Soludo appoints CPS, MD/CEOs, others

A private hospital, Praise and Grace Hospital and Maternity, Enugu, has detained Mrs Joan Orajiobi and her triplets over the family’s inability to pay the delivery bill of N352,350.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Orajiobi, a native of Nnewi in Anambra, gave birth to two girls and a boy in the hospital in Enugu on New Year’s Day.

Speaking to NAN from the hospital on Friday, Orajiobi, who lives at Ologo Quarters, Uwani Enugu, said she had been discharged on Jan. 8 but held by the hospital due to their inability to complete the hospital bill.

She said the hospital billed them a total of N482,350, but that her husband was only able to pay N130,000, the remaining balance of N352,350.

“The bill amounted to that because I gave birth through Caesarian Section (CS).
“I am a hairdresser. I had two girls already before this pregnancy came in May, but I never knew I was pregnant with triplets until the scan which showed that l was carrying twins.

Gov. Soludo appoints CPS, MD/CEOs, others
*Gov. Soludo of Anambra State

“I am pleading to Nigerians, organisations especially the governors of Enugu and Anambra States, to come to my rescue and assist us with financial support. I want to go home and take care my children.

“Anybody that is touched by our condition can reach and assist us through my husband’s Access Account Number 0043854232, Account Name: Nchekwube Orajiobi C. and his WhatsApp 08065846537,’’ she pleaded.

She added that she was always touched seeing other patients who came after them leaving the hospital while they were held because they could not pay.

The husband, Mr Cornelius Orajiobi, a trader, said they both hailed from Obiofia in Nnewi North Local Government Area of Anambra State.

He said he was excited to have triplets but regretted that it would be difficult for him and his wife to take care of the babies in terms of feeding.

“Nigerians should please assist us because this gift is bigger than what we can cater for alone.

“The N130,000 I deposited came from friends and well-wishers while I borrowed some.
“Apart from the medical bill, I need what I will use to bring up these kids,’’ he pleaded.

When contacted, the Medical Director of the hospital, Dr Shedrack Emeribe, told NAN that he operated on Orajiobi without a deposit from the family.

He added that it was after four days of the operation that her husband deposited N60,000 before making it up to N130,000.
He explained that all the things they were requested for the delivery were not provided, stressing that the hospital provided it for them.

“I told the husband to make an initial deposit of N150,000 but he never paid a dime till a few days after CS. But I have to save those lives,” he said.

He said that the bill of N482,350 included surgery, theatre, drug fees, and Hospital Services. 

Continue Reading

Editor’s Pick

Politics