Connect with us


Customs CG orders removal of illegal checkpoints



  • As 13 rescued following four-storey building collapse in Lagos

Following a presidential directive, the Comptroller-General of the Nigerian Customs Service, Col. Hameed Ali, has ordered the dismantling of all checkpoints mounted outside 40 kilometres to the border.

Also, the CG said there should be no checkpoints within the Port areas.

He asked all customs comptrollers to ensure that information patrols outside borders should not last more than 24 hours.

He said all Zonal Coordinators, Comptrollers FOUs, CACs, CIU, and other units will be jointly held responsible for flouting the directive.

These directives were contained in Circular No 10/2017, which was dated July 25, 2017, and obtained yesterday by The Nation.

The circular, titled “Removal of all illegal check-points across the country,” was signed by the Acting Deputy Comptroller-General (E, I and I), Mr. A. A. Dangaladima.

The letter said: “Reference to the Presidential Enabling Business Environment Council (PEBEC) Letter No: PEBEC/EBES/SSAITIOVP/TWN/03 of 18th July 2017 on the above subject-matter, a copy of which is herewith attached.

“ I am directed to convey CGC’s directive to all the Commands and Units to ensure immediate implementation.

“For avoidance of doubt, it is hereby emphasized that check-points mounted outside forty (40) kilometers to the border are illegal, while information patrols outside this point should not last more than twenty four (24) hours at any given time.

“The forty (40) kilometres radius applies only to the borders and consequently there should be no check-points within the Port Areas.

“To further clarify these issues, it should be reminded strongly, that only two (2) check-points situated at AGBARA and GBAJI along Lagos- Badagry- Seme road are statutorily approved, for instance.

“Henceforth, Zonal Coordinators, Comptrollers FOUs, CACs, CIU and other Units will be jointly held responsible for flouting the directive.

“ Ensure widest circulation for strict compliance  please.”

According to findings, the CG of Customs announced the new steps following an advisory from the Presidential Enabling Business Environment Council (PEBEC).

The advisory, which was titled “Ease of doing business reform intervention: trading within Nigeria,” asked the Customs service to comply with the presidential mandate on or before August 11.

The advisory, dated July 18,   was signed by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Industry, Trade and Investment(Office of the Vice President)/PEBEC Secretary, Dr. Jumoke Oduwole.

In the meantime, there was pandemonium in Lagos on Tuesday after a four-storey building collapsed at No 3, Massey Street, Lagos Island, with 13 people rescued alive.

Details of the collapse were sketchy as of the press time, but information made available to Tribune Online by the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) indicated that rescue operations were still ongoing with no figures of casualties yet.

Mr Adesina Tiamiyu, the Managing Director of LASEMA in statement sent to Tribune Online said the agency promptly made rescue equipment available at the site of the collapse, and that all efforts were being made to rescue as many trapped occupants as possible.

“We have rescued 13 victims alive and recovery operation ongoing. Our heavy duty equipment are searching through the rubbles and the rescue operation is being conducted by the LASEMA Response Unit, NEMA, LASAMBUS, and Lagos State Fire Service. Others includes Civil Defence, Red Cross Police,” he said.

Nation with additional report from Tribune


Tanker Tyre Explosion Sparks Chaos In Surulere



Tanker Tyre Explosion Sparks Chaos In Surulere

 Pandemonium engulfed Ekololu, a community in the Surulere area of Lagos, on Monday night when the back tyres of a tanker transporting fuel to a Conoil filling station burst into flames near the station.

The News Correspondent who resides in the area reports that the explosion of the tyres and the ensuing billows of smoke made residents living near the filling station flee for safety.

Observations by the newsmen revealed that staff from the filling station hurried out with fire extinguishers to combat the fire, which erupted around 9:00 p.m., just a few meters from the station’s entrance.

Emergency responders, including Federal and State Fire Services, as well as the Lagos State Emergency Management Authority (LASEMA), swiftly arrived at the scene following distress calls from the community.

The ill-fated tanker that caused the pandemonium

Upon arrival, the emergency teams assessed the unregistered truck carrying the petrol and raised concerns about safety measures while questioning the driver and filling station management.

They provided guidance and oversaw the safe discharge of the fuel using a long hose to transfer the petroleum product from the stranded tanker into the filling station’s reservoirs.

The Station Manager of the Conoil filling station, Mr Kunle Oniya, informed the emergency responders that the station possessed 20 fire extinguishers, which were promptly utilised to contain the fire and prevent its spread.

The incident led to a traffic gridlock, with vehicles unable to move in the area for nearly an hour.

Some residents shared their experiences of the ordeal with the newsmen.

A resident, Malam Shehu, recounted abandoning his dinner upon witnessing the fiery explosion.

He expressed gratitude that the fire was contained before causing further damage.

Another resident, known as Iya Abigail, described hearing people shouting while she was playing games, prompting her to flee in confusion wearing her nightclothes.

She prayed for continued safety in the community.

An elderly resident, who preferred anonymity, urged filling stations in the area to prioritise safety and the welfare of residents.

She noted that filling stations typically had insurance against fire and other disasters and suggested extending such coverage to vulnerable buildings in their host communities.

Recalling the chaotic events, she said that she heard the sound of an emergency whistle to alert the neighbourhood before hastily evacuating her home.

“I was watching TV and when the incident occurred, I had to blow the emergency whistle to alert the neighbourhood but I quickly dressed up before running out of the house,” she said. 

Continue Reading


Overspeeding Claims 7 Lives In Ibadan- Iseyin Road Crash- FRSC



Overspeeding Claims 7 Lives In Ibadan- Iseyin Road Crash- FRSC

…As 15 people sustain varying degrees of injuries

Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) has confirmed the death of seven persons in a road accident that occurred on Ibadan-Iseyin road on Thursday.

The Public Relations Officer, FRSC, Oyo Sector Command, Mr Mayowa Odewo, said in a statement that the deceased were five male adults, one female adult and one female child.

Odewo said that 15 people also sustained varying degrees of injuries out of the 22 people involved in the crash.

He attributed the accident, involving a Nissan Urvan commercial bus, with registration number: SEY 254 ZY and a Mazda commercial bus, with registration number LGB 343 XA, to speed violations and fatigue.

Odewo stated that the 13 injured victims, including three male adults, nine female adults and one female child, had been taken to a nearby hospital for medical attention.

He said that four of the seven corpses of the victims had been claimed by their families, while the remaining three had been deposited at a morgue.

“The police from Motor Traffic Division (MTD) Police Division, Moniya, Ibadan, have taken possession of the two crashed vehicles, including bags and other valuables recovered from the scene,” he said.

The FRSC spokesperson noted that no victim was saved by the seat belt or other defensive gadgets.

He urged motorists to always obey traffic rules and regulations as well as adhere to all traffic cautions on the road to prevent avoidable crashes. 

Continue Reading


Man Dies After Falling Off Cruise Ship in Australia



Man Dies After Falling Off Cruise Ship in Australia

Australian police had found a man’s body off Sydney’s coast while searching for a cruise ship passenger who went overboard on Monday.
The man fell overboard before dawn near Sydney Heads, about 18 kilometers from the shore, with police and other emergency services launching a search, New South Wales police said.

At about 10.30 a.m. (0030 GMT), officers located the body and retrieved it, police said.

Police would now prepare a report for the Coroner and have launched an investigation into how the incident unfolded.

P&O Cruises’ ship Pacific Adventure was due to arrive in Sydney Harbour on Monday.

“We thank guests for their care, understanding, and patience on what’s been a distressing day for guests and crew,’’
a statement from the company said, as quoted by local media.

“Our thoughts are with the family of the guest at this difficult time.’’

The ship was returning to Sydney from a three-day trip to Queensland’s Morton Island.

– dpa

Continue Reading
ADEBAYO SARUMI: Doyen of Maritime Industry Marks 80th Anniversary, Saturday 

Editor’s Pick