Connect with us
>

Health and Safety

Customs donates 86 drones to Navy; LASG arrests 6 suspected land grabbers at Ipaja

Published

on

The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) on Tuesday donated 86 drones to the Nigerian Navy (NN) toward enhancing its operations.

The NCS Comptroller-General retired Col. Hamid Ali while presenting the items in Abuja said that they were intercepted at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja after the importers failed to present End Users Certificate (EUC).

Also read: Customs Warehouse Ikorodu Can Still Accommodate 9,000 Containers– ACG Aremu

Ali said that the customs usually condemn items imported into the country without EUC, after security permission from High Court.

“Such items or equipment are automatically forfeited to the Federal Government, which is why we are directed to transfer and hand over the drones to the NN.

“This is also because of the cooperation and the synergy among the security agencies in the country,“ he said.

Ali was represented by the NCS FCT Comptroller, Mr Suleman Bomoi at the ceremony.

“We intercepted these drones, seized them from Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Abuja, and we went to High Court, Abuja, to get the Court’s order to condemn.

“So, I’m directed by the C-G to hand the items to the NN because of the cooperation and the synergy among the security agencies,“ he said.

Ali, however, emphasised that items imported or that found their way into the country must come with EUC.

He, however, urged Nigerians who were into importation or thinking of going into the business, to always ensure they have their EUC in place.

“Getting EUC is as easy as anything. Go to the office of the National Security Adviser (NSA), who is saddled with the responsibility of issuing EUC and apply online and get it.

“So, failure to have it will lead to an interception, seizure and outright condemnation,“ he said.

In his remarks, the Chief of Naval Staff (CNS) Vice-Adm. Awwal Gambo, while receiving the items, assured of the appropriate use of the items for the benefit of the service and the country in general.

Gambo was represented by the Chief of Training and Operations, Naval Headquarters, Rear Adm. Solomon Agada.

The CNS extended the appreciation of the entire NN to the custom’s C-G, adding that it was done as part of a collaboration among the various security agencies in the country.

This, collaboration he added, would continue to be in place as the agencies work together to ensure the security of the country.

In another development, the Lagos State Environmental Enforcement and Special Offences Unit (Taskforce) says it has arrested six suspected land-grabbing syndicates operating at Command Secondary School Ipaja, Lagos and its axis.

The Agency’s spokesman, Mr Gbadeyan Abdulraheem, confirmed the arrest in a statement on Tuesday in Lagos.

He identified those arrested as Adekola Shoderu, 50; Gbenga Oladipupo, 47; Philip Gabriel, 40; Fatai Yusuf, 43; Ibrahim Mustapha, 38, and Olanrewaju Ifetijesu.

Abdulraheem said that the suspects were arrested while allegedly trying to forcefully take possession of land spanning 12 hectres belonging to Lagos State Ministry of Housing.

He said the suspects had been known for perpetrating such criminal acts around the axis for a long time.

According to him, luck ran out on them when they allegedly tried to obtain money from the building contractors working on the site, who alerted the agency’s officials before their arrest.

“This set of land grabbers has been known to terrorise the Ipaja axis and we have been on their lookout for a while.

“The agency has said it times without number that there is no room for land grabbers or Omo-onile in Lagos and anyone still involved in the practice would be made to face the wrath of the law,” he said.

Abdulraheem said that the Lagos State Ministry of Housing was in Public Private Partnership (PPP) with Prosper Gardens Properties to build structures meant to better the lives of Lagos residents on the said land.

He said that the activities of the suspects impeded the flow of work on the site as a result of their constant threats with harmful weapons demanding for payment of the land from the contractors.

“The Lagos State Government is putting everything in place to actualise its mandate of improvement in physical infrastructure, housing and security.

“These suspected criminals try to undermine these efforts with their selfish actions.

“We will not condone it now or ever.

That is why we are going all out to arrest and prosecute anyone involved in land-grabbing activities,” he said.

The task force spokesperson enjoined residents of Lagos to report any suspected land-grabbing person or group to the agency directly or through social media channels.

He also urged them to desist from taking laws into their hands when such suspected individuals approach them concerning their property as two wrongs do not make a right.

“All such criminal or illegal activities should be reported to the agency or the nearest police station,” Abdulraheem said adding that the suspects would be charged to court accordingly.

 

Health and Safety

Troops Neutralise 192 Terrorists, Apprehend 341 Others In 1 Week – DHQ

Published

on

Troops Neutralise 192 Terrorists, Apprehend 341 Others In 1 Week – DHQ

The Defence Headquarters says troops have in the last one week neutralised 192 terrorists, apprehended 341 others and rescued 62 kidnapped hostages.

It also said a total of 122 ISWAP/JAS terrorists surrendered with their families.

The Director of Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. Edward Buba said this at a news briefing on operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria across the country on Thursday in Abuja.

Buba said the troops also recovered 211 assorted weapons and 6,288 assorted ammunition within the week.

He said the recovered items comprised 128 AK.47 rifles, 26 Dane guns, 1,301 rounds of 7.62mm NATO, 3,260 rounds of 7.62mm special ammo, 1,325 live cartridges, and 140 rounds of 9mm ammunition among other items.

In the North East, Buba said the troops of Operation Hadin Kai neutralised 71 terrorists, arrested 143 suspects and rescued 58  kidnapped hostages during the week.

He added that the air component conducted air strikes on ISWAP/JAS terrorists’ hideouts and logistics hub, including their food processing unit in Kolleram village, along Lake Chad.

According to him, the Battle Damage Assessment revealed that over 30 terrorists, including senior commanders; Ali Dawud, Bakura Fallujah and Mallam Ari, were neutralised as well as their logistics were destroyed as a result of the strike.

In the North Central, Buba said the troops of Operations Safe Haven and Whirl Stroke neutralised 29 insurgents, arrested 53 violent extremists and rescued eight kidnapped hostages.

In the North West, he said the troops of Operation Hadarin Daji neutralised 62 terrorists, arrested 49 terrorists and rescued 36 kidnapped hostages.

He added that troops of Operation Whirl Punch arrested 14 criminals and recovered cache of arms and ammunition as well as military accoutrements.

According to him, other items recovered are 620 parcels of substances suspected to be marijuana, 10 Yoruba Nation flags, eight mobile phones, and four handheld radios, among other items.

In the South-South, Buba said the troops of Operation Delta Safe had maintained momentum against activities of crude oil theft and recovered 792,660 litres of stolen crude oil and 117,070 litres of illegally refined AGO.

He added that troops discovered and destroyed 31 illegal refining sites with 99 dugout pits, 11 boats, 29 storage tanks, 192 cooking ovens and nine vehicles.

According to him, troops apprehended 27 suspected oil thieves and other violent extremists, recovering five weapons and 162 assorted ammunition.

In the South-East, the defence spokesman said the troops of Operation UDOKA neutralised nine terrorists, arrested 11 violent extremists, rescued 17 kidnapped hostages and recovered weapons. 

Continue Reading

Health and Safety

Joint Security Team Rescues 2 Kidnapped Victims in Kebbi

Published

on

Joint Security Team Rescues 2 Kidnapped Victims in Kebbi

A joint security team deployed to Suru and Maiyama local government areas of Kebbi on Tuesday rescued two persons abducted by suspected bandits in the areas.

The operation was conducted by operatives of the Nigerian Army, NSCDC, DSS and vigilante groups.

Confirming the story to newsmen in Birnin Kebbi, the Director in charge of the Security Service, Cabinet Office, AbdulRahman Zagga, attributed the success to the support of Gov. Nasir Idris in providing all the necessary tools to the agencies.

“Following the consistent efforts of the Kebbi Governor, Dr Nasir Idris in supporting the security agencies operating in the state, a joint team of security operatives on Tuesday successfully rescued two kidnapped victims.

“The operation was successful; we were able to follow the bandits from Giro forest to Boma and down to Zugu Liba forest where the victims were rescued,” he said.

The director said that the kidnappers could no longer withstand the security pressure, thereby, abandoning the kidnapped victims.

He explained that the rescued victims were handed over to the village head and the vigilante chairman of Zugu Liba village for them to be reunited with their families.

He called on the people to support the security operatives with useful information that would assist in effectively discharging their duty of curtailing the challenges of insecurity in the state. 

Continue Reading

Health and Safety

NDLEA Destroys 304,436kg, 40,042 Litres of Drugs in Lagos, Ogun

Published

on

NDLEA destroys 304,436kg, 40,042 litres of drugs in Lagos, Ogun

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), on Tuesday in Ibereko Badagry, Lagos, destroyed 304,436 kg and 40,042 litres of illicit substances seized from parts of Lagos and Ogun States.

The Chairman of the Agency, Brig.-Gen. Buba Marwa (Rtd), said the open destruction of the seized illicit drugs was in adherence with court orders.

Marwa called for more public support for the ongoing efforts by the NDLEA and other stakeholders to curb the menace of substance abuse and illicit drug trafficking in Nigeria.

“Though a routine exercise and an established process of removing dangerous substances from our society, the public destruction of confiscated illicit drugs is usually conducted at the end of their related cases in court, “ the NDLEA boss said.

The chairman noted that the exhibits being destroyed were of mixed types.

According to him, they include illicit drugs in solid and liquid states, as well as in various classes such as cocaine, heroin, cannabis, and tramadol, among others.

He said the drugs were seized by NDLEA operatives across different formations of the agency in Lagos and Ogun states, from January 2022 till date, especially at the Lagos seaports, airports, and land borders.

“To be destroyed here today on the order of the court are solid drugs, weighing 304,436.055kg and 40, 042. 621 litres of liquid drugs.

“The sheer volume of the drug haul speaks volumes about the extent of the nefarious activities of the drug underworld,” he noted.

Marwa appreciated the traditional rulers, heads of security agencies, the clergy, members of NGOs and CSOs, as well as other stakeholders, who witnessed the ceremony.

The Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, represented by the Chairman, Badagry West Local Government, Mr Olusegun Onilude, expressed satisfaction with the efforts of the NDLEA in tackling the scourge of illicit drugs in the country.

“Almost all crimes and criminalities are fueled by illicit drugs, so the Lagos State Government appreciates the NDLEA and its leadership in their resolute fight against illicit drugs.

“The volume of illicit drugs being destroyed here today speak volume and every right-thinking person should be worried,” he stated.

Sanwo-Olu also commended the agency for taking the War Against Drug Abuse (WADA) social advocacy campaign to schools and communities across the state.

“No doubt, NDLEA is working, and the state will continue to collaborate with the agency and its leadership,” he assured.

It was reported that Marwa on Monday in Lagos, announced that 50,901 drug offenders, including 46 barons, have been arrested in the last three years.

He also said that within the period, the agency successfully prosecuted and convicted 9,034 of them, as well as seized over 7,561 tonnes of illicit substances.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Editor’s Pick

Politics