Connect with us

Politics

EndSARS protest: Makinde promises to rebuild burnt Police stations in Oyo

Published

on

Resumption: Oyo Govt wants improved students’ turnout

…As Edo govt. decides to rebuild razed police stations, procure new patrol vehicles – Obaseki***

Gov. Seyi Makinde of Oyo State has promised to rebuild police stations burnt during the EndSARS protest in the state.

He also pledged to provide other logistics that would make the police work better.

Makinde spoke on Monday when he visited the headquarters of the Oyo State Police Command in Eleyele.

He was at the command to sympathise with them over the death of some officers and the burning of their stations and patrol vehicles during the EndSARS protest.

The newsmen report that no fewer than five police officers were killed, 12 injured and five stations burnt during the EndSARS protest.

The governor said that the family of the officers killed during the protest would be compensated from the N500 million fund earlier announced by the government.

The fund is to cater for those who suffered losses during the protest.

“The Commissioner of Police just handed over a document to me a few minutes ago and it contains the request from the Oyo State Command of the Nigeria Police; stations that have to be rebuilt, logistics that have to be taken care of.

“I have not read it, I stand before you to say that everything listed in it for us to do has been accepted and we will do it.

” The government has set up an initial N500 million fund, the family of the policemen that were killed will be compensated from the N500 million and I pray for the souls of the departed officers,” Makinde said.

The governor said that the past few weeks had been a challenge for the Police in Oyo State and Nigeria in general, assuring that the Oyo State Government was solidly with them.

He urged the officers to put behind what had happened and go back to work so as not to allow criminal-minded individuals to take over the state.

Also read:  Protests: Return looted assets within 72 hours, Gov. Oyetola tells suspected hoodlums

“We need your cooperation to ensure that arsonists, anarchists are brought to book and I’m here to work with you to ensure that the burden you are carrying becomes light, ” Makinde said.

Also speaking, Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) Leye Oyebade said whatever happened must not deter the officers from carrying out their constitutional responsibilities of protecting lives and property.

“We need to move forward, the statutory responsibility of the police can not be given to any other security agencies.

“Police must go back and take its rightful place and make the state calm.

“We must work together to bring heinous crime to the barest minimum and we have to work with other security agencies,” Oyebade said.

Earlier, the Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Nwachukwu Enwonwu, said the month of October was a sorrowful one, not only for Oyo State, but for the entire police force.

“But this does not mean that life will not continue, we have to put that behind us and ensure that the state is properly secure,” he said.

Enwonwu said that hoodlums could not be allowed to takeover the society.

“The military and other security agencies supported us and they are with us,” he said.

In the meantime, Gov. Godwin Obaseki of Edo, on Monday in Benin, promised that the state government would rebuild all the police stations burnt across the state during the recent EndSARS protests.

Obaseki, who gave the assurance when he paid a solidarity visit to the police command in the state, also assured that government would buy new vehicles for the smooth operations of the personnel.

“We have already ordered for patrol vehicles and we hope that the delivery will be in a few weeks. This is in addition to rebuilding all the razed police stations immediately.

“We will be responsible for the hospital bills of every policeman or woman who had been hurt as a result of the incident of the last few weeks,” he said.

The governor also promised that his administration would ensure that necessary assistance was given to the police in the state, within the limit of the available resources.

“The EndSARS protesters, whom I asked you to give protection to, were the legitimate ones, and not those attacking police stations, Oko prison and Sapele road prison and their property.

“The people, who did all these, were criminals and they should be treated as such.

“I’m here today to assure you of our support. Criminals cannot take over our state, under whatever guise. They should not intimidate you and you should not allow your morale to be dampened.

“The criminals cannot win; we know them. We have dealt with them in other places.

“They called themselves lions and tigers in the political sphere. They have so many friends who are just mere criminals; who don’t want to work hard but just to prey on those working hard in our society. We will not allow them,” Obaseki said.

He assured that government would work with the police to ensure that every inmate, who escaped from the correctional facility in the state, was re-arrested.

“They thought they had destroyed all the documents by burning down all the evidence but they didn’t realise that their biometrics data are being held out of that premises.

“We have all of them and we are going to work with you in this regard.

“We have data on their next of kin and everybody they have lived with in the past; we are going to go after everyone of them in all the communities they have lived in; we will get all of them re-arrest.

“They will not spend Christmas with us; they are going to spend it where they are supposed to spend it.

“For those who stayed behind, even when the prison gate was thrown up, I am going to look at their case files carefully. Those who should not have been there (correctional centre) in the first place, will all be given necessary debriefing.

“Let me reassure you that Edo people love and respect you all. We will support you and we are going to demonstrate that in many ways,” the governor said.

Earlier, Police Commissioner in the state, Mr Johnson Kokumo, said that 11 policemen and women were injured, seven police stations razed, 16 police patrol vehicles burnt, five police officers’ personal vehicles burnt and 31 exhibit vehicles either burnt or destroyed.

Kokumo, however, said that seven AK-47 rifles had been recovered, with 126 suspects arrested during the EndSARS protests.

Politics

Edo Assembly Impeaches Deputy Governor, Shauibu

Published

on

Edo Assembly Impeaches Deputy Governor, Shauibu

The impeachment followed the adoption of the recommendation of a seven-man judicial panel led by retired Justice Stephen Omonua.

At plenary in Benin, the Majority leader of the house, Charity Aiguobarueghian said the report of the 7-man panel presented to the house found Shauibu culpable of disclosure of government secrets.

Aiguobarueghian further disclosed that though the panel was unable to establish the case of perjury against the deputy governor, it made two findings and one recommendation upon which the decision to impeach the deputy governor was anchored.

According to him, “the seven-man judicial panel of inquiry recommended that the deputy governor be impeached on the ground of disclosure of government secrets.’’

During voting on the motion, 18 out of 19 members present at plenary voted for the impeachment of the deputy governor while one abstained from the headcount and voting process.

The Clerk of the House, Yahaya Omogbai conducted a head count of the lawmakers who voted for and against the impeachment of Shaibu.

The clerk said with the figure, the house stated that it met 2/3 (16 members of the House was needed to carry out the impeachment).

The assembly thereafter upheld and approved the recommendation of the seven-man panel and thereafter impeached the deputy governor.

The speaker, Blessing Agbebaku directed the Clerk of the House, Yahaya Omogbai to forward copies of the impeachment to Gov. Godwin Obaseki for assent.

The Edo House of Assembly on Monday impeached the Deputy Governor, Mr Philip Shaibu.

The impeachment followed the adoption of the recommendation of a seven-man judicial panel led by retired Justice Stephen Omonua.

At plenary in Benin, the Majority leader of the house, Charity Aiguobarueghian said the report of the 7-man panel presented to the house found Shauibu culpable of disclosure of government secrets.

Aiguobarueghian further disclosed that though the panel was unable to establish the case of perjury against the deputy governor, it made two findings and one recommendation upon which the decision to impeach the deputy governor was anchored.

According to him, “the seven-man judicial panel of inquiry recommended that the deputy governor be impeached on ground of disclosure of government secrets.’’

During voting on the motion, 18 out of 19 members present at plenary voted for the impeachment of the deputy governor while one abstained from the headcount and voting process.

The Clerk of the House, Yahaya Omogbai conducted a head count of the lawmakers who voted for and against the impeachment of Shaibu.

The clerk said with the figure, the house stated that it met 2/3 (16 members of the House was needed to carry out the impeachment).

The assembly thereafter upheld and approved the recommendation of the seven-man panel and thereafter impeached the deputy governor.

The speaker, Blessing Agbebaku directed the Clerk of the House, Yahaya Omogbai to forward copies of the impeachment to Gov. Godwin Obaseki for assent.

Continue Reading

Politics

Court Remands Emefiele In EFCC Custody As Trial Begins April 11

Published

on

Emefiele: CBN disbursed N12.65bn as agriculture intervention since January; N1.09 trillion since 2015

An Ikeja Special Offences Court on Monday remanded the embattled former Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor, Godwin Emefiele, for alleged abuse of office and fraud to the tune of $4.5 billion and N2.8 billion.
It was reported that Justice Rahman Oshodi remanded Emefiele in the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) custody while his co-defendant, Henry  Isioma-Omoile, was remanded in the Ikoyi custodial centre.
Oshodi remanded the defendants pending the determination of their bail applications on April 11.
The judge adjourned the case until April 11 for the determination of bail application and commencement of trial.
Earlier, EFCC arraigned Emefiele on a 23-count charge bordering on abuse of office, accepting gratifications, corrupt demand, receiving property fraudulently obtained and conferring corrupt advantage, while his co-defendant was arraigned on a three-count charge bordering on acceptance of gift by agents.
The defendants, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
EFCC counsel, Mr Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN) had asked the court for a trial date following the defendants’ not guilty pleas.
Oyedepo also informed the court that the prosecution would be asking for a closed section for some of its witnesses who were willing to come to court to testify but scared for their lives.

Counsel to the two defendants, Mr Abdulakeem Labi-Lawal, had in their bail applications, urged the court to grant them bail on self-recognizance and liberal terms pending the determination of the case.
Labi-Lawal, in a 35-paragraph affidavit, said that the first defendant (Emefiele) complied with the bail application given to him by Justice Hamza Muazu in his ongoing fraud trial in Abuja.
He added that the charges against the first defendant were bailable.
“Though the first defendant was granted administrative bail by the prosecuting authority, he is seeking bail based on self-recognizance, and he is ready to attend trial.
“The court should also take into consideration the status of the first defendant as he was the former CBN governor of the country,” the counsel said.
The defence counsel further said that Emefiele religiously presented himself before Justice Hamza Muazu in Abuja to answer allegations before him.
According to the counsel, the first defendant was not at flight risk as he was the first person to arrive in court.
He also prayed the court to grant bail to  Emefiele on liberal terms
Labi-Lawal also moved a bail application for the second defendant and urged the court to grant him bail on liberal terms.
Prosecution counsel, Oyedepo, did not oppose the bail applications.
Oyedepo, however, urged the court to exercise its discretion judiciously in granting bail to the defendants.
In one of the charges, EFCC  alleged that Emefiele abused the authority of his office as CBN  governor by allocating foreign exchange in the aggregate sum of $2.2 billion without bids, the act which was prejudiced to the rights of Nigerians.
It also alleged that the ex-CBN governor corruptly accepted an aggregate sum of  $26.5 million from NIPCO Plc through Donatone Ltd.
The commission also accused Emefiele of receiving the sum of $400,000 from Source Computer Ltd. on account of the approval of a “contract” in favour of the said company by CBN.
The anti-graft also alleged that Emefiele used his position as the governor of CBN  to confer corrupt advance on his associate, Limelight Multidimensional Services Ltd. by approving payment of an aggregate sum of N900 million to the company.
Emefiele was also alleged to have used his position as the CBN governor to confer a corrupt advantage on Comec Support Services  Ltd. by approving the sum of N149 million to the company.
EFCC also alleged that the former CBN governor used his position to confer a corrupt advantage on  Andswin Resources and Solutions Ltd. by approving payment of the sum of N398 million to the company.
EFCC also accused Emefiele’s co-defendant (Isioma-Omoile) of giving the sum of $100,000 to the governor as a gift reward for allocation of foreign exchange.
According to the prosecution, the alleged offences violate Sections 8, 10, and 19 of the Corrupt Practices And Other Related Offences Act of 2000, Sections 65, 73, and 328 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State 2011.

Continue Reading

Latest News

NAGAFF Vows to Stop Kwankwaso from Taking Over NNPP

Published

on

NNPP Crisis: Freight Forwarders Defy Rain To Pray For Peace

…Votes N150m take off professional fees for lawyers to begin litigation warfare!

Members of the National Association of Government Approved Freight Forwarders (NAGAFF) will vehemently resist the taking over of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP) by the group noted to be loyal to Senator Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso.

It would be recalled that the NNPP was originally founded by the National Association of Government-Approved Freight Forwarders NAGAFF, largely to provide a credible platform for maritime industry stakeholders to make a national impact within the nation’s political space.

It. would also be recalled that the former Governor of Kano, Senator Kwankwaso latched on the NNPP, after his effort to run as the flag bearer of another political party was dimmed by former Vice President Atiku Abubakar who emerged as the PDP presidential candidate.

NNPP inaugurates 2023 Presidential Campaign Council, Aniebonam remains BoT Chairman

Alhaji Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso

Presently, a statement issued by the NNPP National Publicity Secretary, Dr. Clement Iwegbuna, lamented that what started as a child’s play is becoming a reality with the body language and actions of Senator Kwankwaso to highjack NNPP from the original owners, the members of  NAGAFF.

In a swift move, the president of NAGAFF, leading the pack of resourceful young freight forwarders said the original are poised to match money for money and contact for contact to retrieve NNPP from the people tagged ungrateful.

The statement revealed that the sum of N150,000,000 has been contributed as a take-off professional fee for the lawyers to take on the serial litigations upcoming.

NAGAFF accused Kwankwaso of court abuse with the institution of a court case involving INEC at Kano State High Court. “And so what does it take someone who held the position of minister of defence and member of the national assembly of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to know that it is out of jurisdiction to do so.

NNPP is a national party and INEC is a federal commission. “Let Nigerians be told that there is a new order in Nigeria judiciary at the moment. If Senator Kwankwaso likes let him, Elder Buba Galadima and all of them who are the former members of the National Working Committee led by Alhaji Abbah Kawu who was alleged not to be able to write a statement at the state police command, Abuja when he reported a case against Mr Phillip Oyana the Zonal Secretary North Central of New Nigeria Peoples Party.

“Our young, vibrant and informed lawyers shall meet him and his cohorts in court. Once again we hold no malice against any person. All members of NNPP and NAGAFF are children of God and always ready to show love to all manner of people who may come our way,” the statement further said.

The statement directed and appealed to all members of NAGAFF and NNPP to keep the peace of the society and be law abiding and respectful to the constitution of Nigeria.

“Regret to note that Senator Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso had avoidably prided himself to have brought NNPP to relevance and recognition. Tell the American marine that trash for the fact that Senator Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso forgot to note that NNPP is as old as People’s Democratic Party of Nigeria spanning over 24 years in existence. He joined less than 2yrs ago.

“We consider Senator Kwankwaso as someone who is avoidably arrogant and proud for no good reasons. This is because NNPP provided him the opportunity to contest the Presidency of Nigeria 2023 with great men like the current president of Nigeria, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar (PDP) and Mr. Peter Obi of the Labour Party

“Let it be on record that if NNPP were not winning elections for the period under review it would have been deregistered like the one he facilitated which was called Alliance National Party. As a matter of fact, the current headquarters of NNPP in Abuja is the same office used by the defunct Alliance National  Party whose chairman was one Moshood.

“We also know that the current executive Gov of Kano Alhaji Abbah Kabir who was shortchanged in the previous elections took advantage of us as children of God to be protected and today those evil men could not stop him from becoming the Gov of Kano State.

“Therefore senator RABIU MUSA Kwankwaso should be taught the principles of humility and gratefulness to people who have been nice to him.

“In all of these, he may wish to distance himself from elder Buba Galadima if he wants to make headway in politics. The former President, Gen. Buhari did realise and distanced himself to combine with Asiwaju B. A. Tinubu, the grand master to become the President of Nigeria.,” advised.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Editor’s Pick

Politics