Connect with us

crime

Extradition Suit: Abba Kyari to know fate Aug. 29

Published

on

Extradition Suit: Abba Kyari to know fate Aug. 29

… As Kyari tells court: Extradition request by the U.S. govt. Is in bad faith***

A Federal High Court in Abuja, will on Aug. 29 deliver judgment in the extradition suit filed by the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) against the suspended DCP Abba Kyari, over his alleged link with Ramon Abbas, aka Hushpuppi, an alleged internet fraudster held the United States.

Justice Inyang Ekwo fixed the date after counsel for the parties in the suit adopted their processes and presented their arguments in the matter.

Also read: Extradition: Abba Kyari disagrees with AGF over late filing of court process

The newsmen report that the Federal Government has sought for Kyari’s extradition to the U.S. to answer a case over his alleged link with Hushpuppi.

The Federal Government, through the Office of the AGF, had filed the application marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/249/2022.

The suit, titled: “Application for the Extradition of Abba Kyari to the U.S.,” was dated March 1 and filed on March 2.

While the AGF is the applicant, Kyari is the respondent in the application.

Kyari formerly headed the Inspector-General of Police Special Intelligence Response Team (IRT).

The application was filed under the Extradition Act, as part of the Nigerian government’s approval of the request by the U. S. for Kyari’s extradition.

Newsmen also report that Kyari and six others are currently facing a separate trial on allegations bordering on drug trafficking before a sister court presided over by Justice Emeka Nwite.

In the meantime, the suspended DCP Abba Kyari has told a Federal High Court, Abuja that the extradition request by the U.S. Government for his trial in the alleged internet fraud committed by Ramon Abbas, aka Hushpuppi, was not done in good faith.

Kyari, through his counsel, Nureni Jimoh, SAN, told Justice Inyang Ekwo, on Friday, while arguing his case on the incompetency of the suit brought against him by the office of the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF).

Kyari, who faulted the extradition process, said it lacked merit.

At the resumed proceeding, Justice Ekwo reminded the parties that the matter was fixed for today’s (Friday) for hearing.

Shortly after the adoption of his applications, Nureni Jimoh, SAN, on behalf of Kyari, argued that the extradition process was incompetent and lacking in merit because the arrest warrant was not authenticated.

“The warrant of arrest was not signed.

It was only certified and certification is not authentication,” he said, citing Sections 6 and 17 of the Extradition Act.

Jimoh stated that the three offences brought against his client were not within the provisions of the Extradition Act, urging the court to affirm that the application was incompetent.

The senior lawyer argued that the allegation that Kyari had a link with Hushpuppi was untrue.

He said the suspended police chief had earlier in two separate letters written to the International Criminal Police Organisation (INTERPOL) and the Inspector-General (I-G) of Police, informing them that he had opened a channel of communication with Hushpuppi.

He stated further that in the two letters tendered in court as exhibits, Kyari explained that the purpose was to give confidence to the suspected fraudster and lure him to come to Nigeria where an ambush was already laid for a sting operation by his own strike force.

Jimoh argued that the said two letters, written in January and March 2020, were not controverted by the AGF.

Reading from the counter-affidavit deposed to by Mohammed Kyari, the respondent’s younger brother, in the open court, the lawyer said: “The respondent (Kyari) is a senior police officer in Nigeria carrying out sting investigation on Ramon Olorunwa Abbas or AbdulRahman Imraan Juma, otherwise known as Hushpuppi.

“A copy of the letter written by the respondent to the Interpol on Jan. 28, 2020, and to the Inspector General of Police on March 3, 2020, in respect of the sting investigation been carried out by the respondent are herewith attached as Exhibit 1a & 1b respectively.

“This was five months before the arrest of Ramon Abbas & others by the FBI.”

He argued that the request for the extradition was not supported by any document or verifiable evidence.

Besides, he said Kyari had received several international awards and honours, including in the U.S. where he received a commendation award from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) for rescuing Americans kidnapped in Nigeria, arresting the kidnappers and arresting of murderers of a serving American soldier killed in Imo.

The lawyer described the move to extradite Kyari to the U.S. as “an international politics at play to interfere in the Nigerian security system.

“There is no good reason to warrant the extradition process.”

He argued that the request was directed to undermine the crackdown on various crime gangs by Kyari in Nigeria and internationally, and had a political undertone.

Jimoh stated that his client was confronted with a series of charges to break him down because of his achievements and various national honours, citing a copy of the charge alleged to have been framed against him by the National Drug Law and Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) attached as Exhibits 2.

“The extradition request in fact is made for the purpose of persecuting and punishing the respondent on account of his race, nationality, and was not made in good faith nor in the interest of justice,” he said.

But counsel for the AGF, Pius Akutah, disagreed with Jimoh, urging the court to discountenance his argument.

He argued that the conditions precedent for extradition had been met by the American government with the filing of the charge against Kyari and a formal application that he be brought to establish his guilty or innocence in his indictment for internet fraud.

He said what was before the court was for the AGF to show cause why Kyari should be extradited to the U.S., citing previous cases to back his argument.

Akutah also urged the court to dismiss Kyari’s preliminary objection which asked the court to strike out the AGF’s application for failure to seek a leave of the court before filing it, citing a Supreme Court decision in a matter between Rasaki and another Vs. Ajijola and another.

Justice Ekwo, who sought to deliver verdict on the suit during the court vacation, fixed Aug. 29 for the judgment after counsel for the two parties agreed to the proposal.

“Vacation starts on July 18.

If parties agreed, I can give judgment during vacation,” he said.

 

crime

INSECURITY: Gunmen Kidnap Traditional Ruler in Ondo State; Shoot scores in Delta Mosque

Published

on

Gunmen kidnap traditional ruler in Ondo State

…Police says only 11 worshippers injured in attack***

 Gunmen have abducted a 66-year-old traditional ruler, Oba Clement Olukotun, the Oloso of Oso, at Ajowa-Akoko, in Akoko North-West Local Government Area of Ondo State.

The abductors allegedly stormed the traditional ruler’s residence at about 10.15 p.m. on Thursday and whisked him away to an unknown destination.

A family source revealed that the gunmen shot sporadically and destroyed the palace’s main door to gain access into his residential area before perpetrating the act.

According to the source, the gunmen knocked on the door and asked the occupants to open the door.

“But when the assailants realised that the occupants were not ready to obey their command, they shot at the main door and destroyed it.

The source, which explained that the gunshot pellets pierced the door and wall into the living room, said that none of the occupants was hit or injured.

“When they came, they surrounded the building and started ordering the king and other occupants to open the door and surrender willingly, but nobody answered. At this point, they started shooting.

“They destroyed the main door and entered. They terrorised Kabiyesi and his family members before dragging him out and taking him away.

“As at this morning, none of the family members had been contacted, but we knew they were kidnappers,” he said.

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer(PPRO), Ondo State Command, SP Funmilayo Odunlami, confirmed the incident.

“It is true but the details of the incident are still not clear.

“However, police from the Divisional Police headquarters at Oke-Agbe, headquarters office Akoko Northwest Local Government Area of Ondo State, have been deployed in the town to launch investigation into the incident,” Odunlami said.

In another development, Unidentified gunmen early Friday morning, attacked a mosque in Ughelli, Delta state, leaving 11 worshippers injured.

A resident who spoke on the attack said it took place at about 6.47 am when some Muslim faithful were holding their morning prayers at the Central Mosque, located along Okoroda street in Ughelli.

The resident who gave his name simply as Larry, said many residents were jolted from their sleep by gunshots followed by loud cries from people inside the mosque.

Senate-President-Ahmed-Lawan

“My name is Larry, I am a commercial vehicle driver here in Ughelli. I live very close to the central mosque, so this morning at about 6.45 am we heard a shooting at the mosque.

“Because of fear, many people in my compound were frightened and we remained inside only peeping through our windows.

“As the shooting lasted, we heard loud cries from some worshippers inside the mosque,” Larry said.

According to him, after the invaders left, many residents thronged to the mosque in their numbers to see what happened.

He said residents helped to evacuate injured worshippers, adding that those that survived the attack suffered severe injuries.

Larry said that some of the worshippers told residents that three of their fellow worshippers were taken away by the gunmen.

When contacted, the Delta police spokesperson, DSP Bright Edafe, confirmed the attack to NAN but said that only 11 worshippers were injured in the attack.

He, however, did not confirm the abduction of three worshippers.

“I just called the DPO at Ughelli and he confirmed to me that 11 persons were injured in the attack at the mosque.

“However, the police have commenced investigation into the incident and we will update you as we work to unravel the culprits.

“For now, no arrest has been made but I can assure you that we will get those involved,” Edafe said.

Continue Reading

crime

Editor’s Pick: Man, 50 jailed 4 months for stealing chewing gums

Published

on

Editor's Pick: Man, 50 jailed 4 months for stealing chewing gums

A 50-year-old man, Adamu Habib was on Tuesday sentenced to four months imprisonment by an Upper Area Court, Karu, Abuja for stealing two packs of ”Orbit” gum, worth N12,840.

The convict, who resides in Garki Village, pleaded guilty to theft.

Delivering judgment, the judge, Malam Ishaq Hassan gave the convict an option of N10,000 fine and warned him to desist from committing crime.

Hassan also ordered the convict to pay N12,840 in compensation.

The Prosecution Counsel, Mr. Olarewaju Osho, told the court that the complainant, Joseph Sunday of “Faxx Supermarket, Abuja, reported the matter at the Durumi Police Station on Nov. 7.

Osho said on Oct. 18, the convict stole two packs of ”Orbit” gum, worth N12,840.

He said that during routine police investigation, the convict admitted to committing the offence.

The offense, he said, contravened the provisions of Section 287 of the Penal Code.

Continue Reading

crime

Police Arrest 30 Suspected Railway Vandals

Published

on

Hoes and Guns: Police confirm 8 killed in farmers, herders clash in Borno

The Railway Police Command on Monday said that 30 suspected railway vandals were arrested between September and October 2022.

This is contained in a statement issued by CP Yetunde Longe, the Commissioner of Police for the Command.

President Muhammadu Buhari had given directives to all service chiefs and Nigeria Police Force to safeguard the railway infrastructure across the federation.

“Following the directives from the President, the Inspector General of Police, Usman Baba Alkali, directed the Railway Police Command to engage the Direct Action Response Tactics (DART), to effectively protect the railway corridors from vandals.

“The command recorded big success on Sept.8, acting upon credible information, as men of the Railway Police Command swooped on some criminal elements that had been involved in recurrent vandalism and theft of railway iron sleepers at the section KM 1086 Sheme Town in Faskari LGA of Kastina State; leading to the arrest of 14 suspects.

“It was gathered that the suspects after their exchange of fire with the policemen abandoned a trailer truck with Reg. No. Nasarawa LFA 307XB and a Sharon car.

“However, further relentless combing of the crime scene led to the arrest of the suspects on Sept. 10,” she said.

The CP identified the suspects as Muhammed Lawan, 35; Umar Garba, 28; Sahana iliyasu, 22; Bashiru Abdulrahaman, 20; Dauda Musa, 27; Ahmad Sani  21; Muhammed Haruna 20.

Others are Gaddafi Bala, 21; Ali Umar, 25; Wudeama Tahiru, 23; John Jaccob, 22; Ezekiel Gumeret, 26; and Sulaimon Musa, 20.

“Similarly, on Sept. 26, 2022, the Rigasa Railway Divisional Police Headquarters arrested five suspects in connection with the vandalism of some window frames at Gidan Buse substation,” she said.

Longe identified the suspects as Sadi Mohammed, 26; Nasiru Yakubu, 35; Yau Ibrahim 26; while two others: Buhari Samlia, 25;  and Aliyu Abdulahi, 24 were also arrested for the same crime on Oct.17, 2022.

The police commissioner said that the police officers at the Funtua Railway Police Division, Katsina State.

The commissioner added that her men also raided the hideout of some  notorious railway vandals and arrested four suspected vandals  who were in possession of 100  railway iron sleepers and 60 cut-to-size triangular iron pieces belonging to the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC)

The CP said that on Nov. 4 and 14, “Men of the Kafanchan Railway Police Division and the men of the Nigerian Army School of Artillery intercepted two trucks with Registration numbers: MJB-367XA & DAL-754ZX.

“The trucks were loaded with 45 and 37-long rail irons respectively. Three suspects each: Adamu Lawal,32; Tajudeen Yusuf,27; Sulieman Lawal,19; Abdulkadir Idris  45; Garba Sule,37; and Bilyaminu Ahmadu,37; were arrested in connection with the crime,” she said.

The CP said that the Bauchi Divisional Headquarters upon a credible tip-off also intercepted a J5 bus with registration number XC318BAU.

“The suspects in the bus upon sighting the policemen fled, abandoning the bus loaded with 50 pieces of Railway sleepers concealed with firewood.

“The bus and exhibits have been taken into police custody, while investigations to apprehend the suspects continue.

“Recently, Port Harcourt Railway Police Division also made an arrest of one suspect at the Port Harcourt Railway station.

“The suspect, James Wisdom, 25; was caught stealing some seats of first-class train coaches parked at the railway station,” Longe said.

The commissioner of police said that investigations would be swiftly concluded and the culprits would be duly charged to court.

Continue Reading

Editor’s Pick

Politics

Simply Easy Learning
Simply Easy Learning