Connect with us

crime

INSECURITY: Gunmen Kidnap Traditional Ruler in Ondo State; Shoot scores in Delta Mosque

Published

on

Edo Train Attack: Security Operatives rescue 6 kidnap victims

…Police says only 11 worshippers injured in attack***

 Gunmen have abducted a 66-year-old traditional ruler, Oba Clement Olukotun, the Oloso of Oso, at Ajowa-Akoko, in Akoko North-West Local Government Area of Ondo State.

The abductors allegedly stormed the traditional ruler’s residence at about 10.15 p.m. on Thursday and whisked him away to an unknown destination.

A family source revealed that the gunmen shot sporadically and destroyed the palace’s main door to gain access into his residential area before perpetrating the act.

According to the source, the gunmen knocked on the door and asked the occupants to open the door.

“But when the assailants realised that the occupants were not ready to obey their command, they shot at the main door and destroyed it.

The source, which explained that the gunshot pellets pierced the door and wall into the living room, said that none of the occupants was hit or injured.

“When they came, they surrounded the building and started ordering the king and other occupants to open the door and surrender willingly, but nobody answered. At this point, they started shooting.

“They destroyed the main door and entered. They terrorised Kabiyesi and his family members before dragging him out and taking him away.

“As at this morning, none of the family members had been contacted, but we knew they were kidnappers,” he said.

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer(PPRO), Ondo State Command, SP Funmilayo Odunlami, confirmed the incident.

“It is true but the details of the incident are still not clear.

“However, police from the Divisional Police headquarters at Oke-Agbe, headquarters office Akoko Northwest Local Government Area of Ondo State, have been deployed in the town to launch investigation into the incident,” Odunlami said.

In another development, Unidentified gunmen early Friday morning, attacked a mosque in Ughelli, Delta state, leaving 11 worshippers injured.

A resident who spoke on the attack said it took place at about 6.47 am when some Muslim faithful were holding their morning prayers at the Central Mosque, located along Okoroda street in Ughelli.

The resident who gave his name simply as Larry, said many residents were jolted from their sleep by gunshots followed by loud cries from people inside the mosque.

Senate-President-Ahmed-Lawan

“My name is Larry, I am a commercial vehicle driver here in Ughelli. I live very close to the central mosque, so this morning at about 6.45 am we heard a shooting at the mosque.

“Because of fear, many people in my compound were frightened and we remained inside only peeping through our windows.

“As the shooting lasted, we heard loud cries from some worshippers inside the mosque,” Larry said.

According to him, after the invaders left, many residents thronged to the mosque in their numbers to see what happened.

He said residents helped to evacuate injured worshippers, adding that those that survived the attack suffered severe injuries.

Larry said that some of the worshippers told residents that three of their fellow worshippers were taken away by the gunmen.

When contacted, the Delta police spokesperson, DSP Bright Edafe, confirmed the attack to NAN but said that only 11 worshippers were injured in the attack.

He, however, did not confirm the abduction of three worshippers.

“I just called the DPO at Ughelli and he confirmed to me that 11 persons were injured in the attack at the mosque.

“However, the police have commenced investigation into the incident and we will update you as we work to unravel the culprits.

“For now, no arrest has been made but I can assure you that we will get those involved,” Edafe said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement Simply Easy Learning
Click to comment

crime

Auxiliary’, Chairman Oyo park system, gets Feb. 27; 4 others docked over Police-Assault in Ibadan

Published

on

Auxiliary’, Chairman Oyo park system, gets Feb. 27; 4 others docked over Police-Assault in Ibadan

A Chief Magistrates’ Court in Ibadan adjourned the trial of chairman of the disciplinary committee of the Park Management System (PMS), Alhaji Mukaila Lamidi, aka Auxilliary, Mukaila Lamidi, 61, (aka Auxilliary) until April 27.

Lamidi was docked on Nov 17, 2022, for the alleged destruction of billboards of candidates of the All Progressives Congress (APC) worth N4.2 million.

The court did not seat on Thursday and no reason was given by the registrar.

All counsel in the matter agreed on the April 27 adjourned date.

He is charged with six counts bordering on conspiracy, unlawful damage and breach of public peace.

The Prosecution Counsel, ASP Sunday Fatola, said that the defendant and others at large allegedly conspired to commit the offence.

The police alleged that the defendant, on Nov. 13, at Igboora, at about 6.50 p.m., wilfully and unlawfully damaged APC billboards bearing the pictures of the party’s presidential, governorship and House of Representatives candidates, valued at N1.2 million.

The prosecution said on Nov. 13, at about 11.00 a.m. at Ido, in Omi-Adio Magisterial Area, Lamidi allegedly conspired with others to wilfully and unlawfully damage APC billboard, bearing the picture of Aderemi Oseni, the party’s House of Representatives candidate worth N3 million.

He said that the offence contravened the provisions of sections 249 (d), 451 and 517 of the Criminal Code Laws of Oyo State, 2000.

The Chief Magistrate, Mr Taiwo Oladiran, had admitted the defendant to bail in the N500,000 with two sureties in like sum.

In another development, four persons, Mohammed Omobonike, 45, Abdulahi Akewula, 33, Idowu Basit, 25 and Alimat Muhammed, 18, were on Thursday, arraigned in an Iyaganku Magistrates’ Court Ibadan for allegedly assaulting police officers.

The defendants, whose residential addresses were not provided, were charged with serious assault and assault occasioning harm.

The Prosecutor, Mr Philip Amusan told the court that the defendants allegedly committed the offence on Jan. 31, at 4. 30 p.m., around Idi-Ayunre road, Ibadan.

Amusan alleged that the four accused persons and others at large unlawfully assaulted Insp. Edalere Samusideen of the Iyaganku police station Ibadan and caused him serious bodily harm.

The prosecutor said that the defendants on the same date and place also allegedly assaulted another police officer, Sgt. Rufus Adewuyi and caused him harm.

He said the offence contravened Section 356(2) of the Criminal laws of Oyo State, 2000.

The defendants, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

The Magistrate, Mrs O. A Akande granted the defendants bail in the sum of N50, 000 and one surety each in like sum.

She adjourned the case until March 3, for hearing.

Continue Reading

crime

Accountant tells court how CEO, Amaechi Ndili, Wife allegedly converted $4.7m

Published

on

Accountant tells court how CEO, Amaechi Ndili, Wife allegedly converted $4.7m

… Case adjourned till Jan. 31 for continuation of trial***

An accountant, on Monday, told an Ikeja Special Offences Court how the chief executive officer of Lionstone Offshore Services Ltd. and his wife allegedly converted $4.7 million to their personal use.

The accountant, Mr Godwin Okon, testified against Amaechi Ndili and his wife, Njide, who are facing a three-count charge bordering on stealing and fraudulent conversion of money to personal use.

The couple, however, pleaded not guilty.

Okon, also a business analyst, told the court that the defendants entered into a contract with Hercules Offshore Nig. Ltd.

According to the witness, after executing the contract, the defendants converted part of the proceeds to their personal use.

The witness was led in evidence by ACP Simon Lough (SAN).

He said that Addax Petroleum Development Nigeria had a contract with Lionstone Offshore Services Ltd., which was executed by Hercules based on an agreement jointly written on Jan. 14, 2010.

“Sometime in December 2009, Amaechi came to Hercules to discuss the possibility of collaboration between the two companies to team up and carry out some contracts in the Nigeria oil and gas field.

“The first defendant had based his reason on the expertise and experience of Hercules company, and by Jan. 14, 2010, a joint bidding agreement was entered into and some terms were spelt out,” he said.

The witness told the court that Lionstone was responsible for the submission of tenders and receiving of payments, while Hercules was responsible for providing technical information and financial information.

He said: “Some other joint bidding agreements were fees spelt out.

“Lionstone will be entitled to a one-time flat fee of $75,000 on the execution; then an annual amount of $150,000, for three years.

“The contract was entered into by Lionstone and  Addax in October 2010, but it was executed by Hercules based on an agreement.

“When there is payment, the payment will go to the Lionstone account; then, Lionstone, on receiving such the amount, will remit the net amount after taking two per cent.

“Lionstone paid the invoices from Addax from the inception of the execution of the contract, up till June 2012, to Hercules.

“From July 2012 to September 2013, Lionstone did not remit any money again.

“Based on the invoices, after Lionestone had failed to remit the money to Hercules and after making calls and nothing happened, our senior management went to Addax to inquire, and it was from there that we were told that Addax had paid all the invoices to Lionstone and that they were not owing Lionstone any money,” the witness said.

The police had on Oct. 19, 2022, arraigned the couple alongside Lionstone Offshore Services Ltd. on a three-count charge.

The couple, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

The police alleged that the defendants committed the offences from July 2012 to September 2013  at Lionstone Offshore, off A58 Road 2, Victoria Garden City, Lagos State, and Lionstone Offshore Services Ltd. at No. 38/39 Bull Plaza 19, Floor Marina, Lagos.

The alleged offences contravene Sections 516, 387 of the Criminal Code, Laws of the Federation, 2004.

Justice Olubummi Abike-Fadipe adjourned the case until Jan. 31 for continuation of trial.

Continue Reading

crime

Court approves eligibility of ICPC witness in N10m bribery case against LG chairman

Published

on

Court approves eligibility of ICPC witness in N10m bribery case against LG chairman

Officials of the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC) can stand as prosecution witnesses in bribery cases, an FCT High Court ruled on Monday.

Justice Peter Kekemeke gave the ruling in a N10 million bribery suit filed against former Chairman of Gwagwalada Area Council, Malam Adamu Danze.

The ICPC had charged Danze with six counts of demanding N10 million kickbacks from a contractor handling construction projects in the area council.

It alleged that in March 2018, Danze demanded a N10 million bribe from the contractor handling the construction of a double-cell culvert at Paiko-Kore (Gwagwalada).

It alleged that the defendant demanded that the director, Remotosh Construction Ltd., Mr. Aremu Omotosho, should transfer the money to the counsel handling his election petition matter.

ICPC stated that the offence contravened the provisions of sections 10(a), 18(d), and 19 of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act, 2000.

Danze pleaded not guilty to the allegations.

His defense counsel, Mr. Abdul Mohammed (SAN) had on July 7, 2002, argued before the court that an ICPC official was not eligible to stand as a prosecution witness in the case.

Justice Kekemeke ruled on Monday, however, that by virtue of Section 175 (1) of the Evidence Act, the witness is eligible to testify.

Section 175 (1) of the Evidence Act states that: “all persons shall be competent to testify unless; the court considers that they are prevented from understanding the question put to them.

He added that the witness was in court to tender documents that were already in the public domain and had not said anything before the lawyer’s objection.

Kekemeke further challenged the defense counsel to provide the relevant law which stated that the witness was not eligible to testify.

The judge adjourned the case to March 2 for continuation of trial after Danze’s lawyer prayed the court for the adjournment because his principal was not in court.

In March 2022, ICPC’s counsel, Mr. Michael Adesola presented the second prosecution witness Ms. Mutayo Idoku who happened to be a lawyer from the law chambers that handled Danze’s election petition matter.

Mohammed, the defendant’s lawyer opposed the move, saying that the witness could not give evidence in the matter by virtue of section 192 (1) of the Evidence Act.

The section states that: “no legal practitioner shall at any time be permitted, unless with his client’s express consent to disclose any communication and for the purpose of his employment as such legal practitioner by or on behalf of his client.’’

He promised to provide relevant literature and a written submission on whether or not Idoku could give evidence in the matter.

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Editor’s Pick

Politics