Health and Safety Politics

LASG diverts traffic at Maryland Mede Underpass, postpones Iyana-Era diversion

LASG disburses N1.56bn as grants to 3,673 businesses
Written by Maritime First

… As GM says Viral video of LASTMA officers driving ‘one way’ not recent***

The Lagos State Government says it is diverting traffic from the Maryland/Mende Underpass from  Tuesday, Sept. 20, 2022, for the continuation of the Opebi/Ojota Tink bridge construction.

The Commissioner for Transportation, Dr Frederic Oladeinde, made the disclosure in a statement in Lagos on Sunday.

Also read: LASG orders tanker drivers, shanties’ occupiers under Costain Bridge to vacate

Oladeinde assures that alternative routes had been mapped out to ease movement during the course of the reconstruction of the underpass.

He advised motorists to use the Ojota interchange to connect Maryland and its environs.

Oladeinde also urged motorists heading to the inner streets of the axis to make use of Mobolaji Bank Anthony to access Emmanuel, Aderibigbe Shitta and Adeoye Adeyemi streets.

He said that other motorists heading toward Mende and its environs could use of Mende Street to link Ajose Street and connect Oki lane to continue their journey.

He added that the repairs of a section of the Lagos Bound lane at the Iyana Era/Badagry Expressway scheduled for Sept. 17, had been postponed till further notice due to unforeseen circumstances.

The commissioner explained further that the new date would be communicated to the public.

Oladeinde, while commending motorists for their patience and cooperation, reaffirmed that personnel of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority would be deployed to the affected routes to minimize inconveniences.

He sought for the concurrence of Lagos residents at this season of road construction as the gains of the ongoing projects would ameliorate the traffic challenges in the state.

In another development, the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority has clarified that the viral video showing officers of the agency driving against the traffic is not a recent one.

The General Manager, LASTMA, Mr Bolaji Oreagba, made this known in a statement issued in Lagos on Saturday.

The newsmen report that a viral video surfaced on Friday in which a man blocked the agency’s officers for driving against the traffic around the Oworonshoki Bridge area of the state.

Oreagba said the patrol van seen in the viral video was among LASTMA operational vehicles burnt alongside its office building by #EndSARs protesters at Iyana-Oworo, Lagos.

He noted that all the officers involved in the incident had been sanctioned.

Oreagba said, “The attention of Lagos State Traffic Management Authority has been drawn to a viral video on Twitter (@OmoGbajaBiamila).

“The video shows where our officers who drove against traffic (one-way) with an operational vehicle, RTM 08 LA Zone 25 Bariga, was blocked by a private vehicle on Oworonsoki Bridge, Lagos.

“The agency hereby states categorically that the video incident occurred in 2020 before the #ENDSARS protest around Iyana-Oworo.

“All officers involved have been appropriately sanctioned by the authority.”

He, therefore, urged members of the public to disregard the video that was deployed to embarrass the agency’s team of hardworking officers.

Oreagba said LASTMA would continue effective monitoring and control of traffic across the state, just as it would not condone indiscipline among its personnel.

 

 

About the author

Maritime First