Connect with us

crime

NAF Air Strikes Hit Oil Thieves, Terrorists

Published

on

Military neutralises several terrorists, destroys their logistics facilities in Sambisa forest

…… NPA says Military onslaught forcing bandits, terrorists to become desperate***

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) says the air component of Operation Delta Safe (OPDS) and Operation Hadin Kai successfully carried out air interdiction missions on some illegal refining sites and terrorists’ hideouts in Niger Delta and North East regions.

This is contained in a statement issued by the Director of Public Relations and Information, NAF, Air Commodore Edward Gabkwet, on Sunday in Abuja.

Gabkwet said the air interdictions were in continuation of efforts aimed at containing the activities of terrorists, militants, and other criminal elements bent on destabilising the nation and making life unbearable to peace-loving Nigerians.

He said the air component of OPDS had on Aug. 27, carried out air interdiction missions on some illegal refining sites located at Cawthorne Channels, Bille and Gogokori in Degema Local Government Area of Rivers.

He said that illegal refining sites were attacked and destroyed in the area.

He said that a Cotonou boat observed to be loaded with illegal refined products and heading into open waters was also engaged and destroyed at Gogokori.

According to him, similar strikes were also extended to Idama in the Akuku‐Toru Local Government Area and Omoma in the Degema Local Government Area of Rivers upon receipt of intelligence of refining activities at the two locations.

*An illegal refinery

Gabkwet said that overhead both locations, active illegal refining sites with reservoirs suspected to contain illegally refined products were sighted, adding that the reservoirs were subsequently engaged, destroyed, and engulfed in flames.

He said that identified militants/pirates’ camps identified as Big Joe’s Camp, Sunny’s Camp, Davids’ Camp in Bakassi Local Government Area, and Amos Camps in Calabar South Local Government Area in Cross River were on Aug. 25, attacked by the air component of OPDS.

He added that the air strikes were authorised after confirming the locations to be littered with these criminals and their activities.

Suspected bandits kill NIS personnel, injure 2 others in Jigawa

“Those that attempted to escape through their various escape routes were also attacked.

“In one of the suspected kidnappers’ camps, a lone structure suspected to be harbouring some kidnapped victims with armed men roaming around the structure was also attacked using guns on board the aircraft.

“The strikes led to pandemonium with several kidnapped victims seen escaping,” he said.

In the Northeast, the NAF spokesman said that strikes were conducted on Aug. 25 at Chinene, a persistent terrorists’ hideout in Mandara mountains which had been struck on several occasions in the past.

He said the location was struck with several terrorists neutralised having observed that the area had continually hosted gatherings of terrorists and their activities, adding that others fled for their lives.

According to him, NAF aircraft have continued to give the requisite outcome while denying non-state actors the freedom to perpetrate their nefarious acts at will.

“While the NAF alongside other security agencies remains focused on undertaking their assigned tasks, the need for all Nigerians to see themselves as part of the solution to these challenges through the provision of actionable information to security agencies cannot be overemphasised,” he urged.

In another development, the Nigeria Peace Advocates (NPA), a non-partisan group, says the intensity of military onslaught against bandits and insurgents in the North East and North West is making them desperate.

The Secretary of the group, Mr Bernard Udu, indicated this in a statement on Sunday in Abuja.

Udu called on Nigerians to continue to support and pray for the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

According to him, the military under the Chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Christopher Musa, had demonstrated the capacity to defend the country against the enemies of peace.

He said bandits and terrorists in the two geo-political zones were already feeling the heat of intensified military operations across the country, hence their desperation.

He described the recent death of some troops who paid the supreme price while responding to terrorists’ attacks in Niger as very painful, adding that the military had demonstrated unwavering commitment to duty.

“No matter the level of their desperation, Nigerians are solidly behind the Armed Forces of Nigeria under the leadership of Gen. Musa.

“We must stand behind our troops who continue to make sacrifices for the peace and stability of our country. We must not give in to those whose actions are inimical to peace and development.

“NPA, once more sends our heartfelt condolences to the CDS, the AFN, and the families of the deceased personnel.

“Nigerians are behind you and we stand in hope that very soon, there will be light at the end of the tunnel,” he added.

crime

Francis Ogu, 65-year-old Cleric Docked For Allegedly Defiling 10-year-old Girl

Published

on

Francis Ogu, 65-year-old Cleric Docked For Allegedly Defiling 10-year-old Girl

 A 65-year-old cleric, Francis Ogu, was on Wednesday docked in the Children, Sexual and Gender-based Violence Offences Court in Awka, for allegedly defiling a 10-year-old domestic worker.

The police charged Ogu, who resides at Umuike village in Awka, with defilement.

The Prosecution Counsel, Insp Chinyere Okechukwu, told the court that the accused committed the offence on June 27 at his residence.

The police alleged that the accused sexually exploited the minor.

The offence, she said, contravened the provisions of Section 35(2) of the Child Rights Laws of Anambra State, 2004.

The accused, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

In her ruling, Chief Magistrate Genevieve Osakwe admitted the accused to bail in the sum of N500,000 with one surety in like sum.

Osakwe adjourned the case until Aug. 21 for a hearing.

Continue Reading

crime

Man, 27, Docked For Allegedly Stealing Pot Of Soup In Ibadan

Published

on

Man, 27, Docked For Allegedly Stealing Pot Of Soup In Ibadan

…As 3 arraigned over alleged stealing, housebreaking

The growing hunger in the country may have attained a new dimension as One Adewale Ogundeji, 27, was on Wednesday, dragged before an Iyaganku Magistrates’ Court in Ibadan, charged with stealing a pot of soup and other valuables.

Ogundeji, whose address was not provided, was charged with housebreaking and stealing, to which he pleaded not guilty.

The prosecutor, ASP Anthony Igori told the court that the defendant committed the offences on July 6, at about 1.30 p.m., at Balogun Road, Oke Ibadan, near Oje market.

Igori said that the defendant allegedly broke into the house of one Mrs Tobiyat Yusuf and stole her pot of soup, N20,000 cash, MP3 player and memory card, among other items.

He said that the offences contravened Sections 411 and 390 (9) of the Criminal Laws of Oyo State, 2000.

The Magistrate, Mr Olaolu Olanipekun granted the defendant bail in the sum of N100,000 and one surety in like sum.

He adjourned the case until July 25 for a hearing. 

In another development, the police on Wednesday arraigned three suspects: Sadare Idowu, 46, David Terdoo, 24 and Chinedu Emmanuel, 42, before an Iyaganku Chief Magistrates’ Court, Ibadan over an alleged stealing and housebreaking.

The defendants, whose house addresses were not provided, are facing charges bordering on alleged stealing and housebreaking.

The prosecutor, Insp. Akeem Akinloye told the court that the defendants committed the offences on Nov. 27, 2023, in Apata area of Ibadan, Oyo State.

Akinloye said the defendants allegedly broke into the house of one Mr Ademola Adebowale and stole his valuables worth N3.22 million.

The valuables, he said included: clothes, jewellery, a generator, a television, Closed-Circuit Television gadgets and a phone, among others.

He said the offences contravened Sections 411 and 390(9) of the Criminal Laws of Oyo State, 2000.

The defendants pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The Chief Magistrate, Mrs Olabisi Ogunkanmi, granted each of the defendants bail in the sum of N750,000 with two reliable sureties in like sum.

She adjourned the case until Oct. 28, for hearing. 

Continue Reading

crime

Chinese Customs Catches Man With Over 100 Live Snakes In His Trousers

Published

on

Chinese Customs Catch Man With Over 100 Live Snakes In His Trousers

…The snakes include 5 different species, including corn snakes and triangle snakes

Chinese Customs have detained a man trying to smuggle more than 100 live snakes into mainland China in his trouser pockets.

The man was recently caught by officials at Futian Harbour on the border between the Chinese Special Administrative Region of Hong Kong and the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, authorities said.

During an inspection, customs officials found six taped-up cloth bags containing numerous colourful snakes hidden in the traveller’s lower clothing.

According to a statement by the customs, it was revealed that the man was carrying 104 snakes of five different species, including corn snakes and triangle snakes.

Neither of which are found in China, but in North and Central America.

A video released by the customs office showed the man trying to pass through the undeclared goods corridor.

It also showed customs officers examining six large plastic bags into which the squirming reptiles appeared to have been later placed.

China’s laws prohibit the import of non-native animals.

Anyone who violates this will be held accountable, the customs report continued, without specifying what penalties the man would face. 

– dpa

Continue Reading
ADEBAYO SARUMI: Doyen of Maritime Industry Marks 80th Anniversary, Saturday 

Editor’s Pick

Politics