Connect with us

Health and Safety

NEMA confirms 1 dead, 651,000 displaced in Anambra flood

Published

on

NEMA confirms 1 dead, 651,000 displaced in Anambra flood

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has confirmed the death of one Ginikanwa Izuoba in the Enugu-Otu, Aguleri flood.

The Acting State Coordinator of the agency in Anambra, Mr Thickman Tanimu, confirmed the incident to the newsmen in Awka on Saturday.

Also read: Flooding: NEMA donates relief materials to victims in Nasarawa State

Tanimu said that Izuoba died when his house collapsed due to the impact of the flood.

He also said that at least 651,053 persons in six local government areas of the state had so far been displaced by flooding.

Tanimu said that the agency had undertaken an assessment of flooding in different parts of the state.

He said that Ogbaru had the highest number of victims with 286,000 persons.

He said that Anambra West and East Local Government Areas (LGAs) followed with 237,000 and 103,000 victims, respectively.

He said that Awka North LGA had 10,345 victims, while Ayamelum had 9,240 flood cases with 5,468 displaced persons.

Tanimu said that NEMA, accompanied by officials of the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) had visited Umueze-Anam, Mkpunando, Umunteze, Igbedo, Inoma Ifite-Ogwari in Anambra East and Anyamelum LGAs.

“The assessment team observed that the flood has submerged houses, farmlands, schools, health centres, Police Stations and Churches and other critical infrastructure.

“We did the assessment tour with a boat because the access roads to the communities have been submerged by flood water,” he said.

Tanimu commended Anambra SEMA for taking some proactive measures to mitigate the impact of the disaster.

Some of the measures, he said, included the identification of 13 IDP camps, recruitment of camp managers and support staff and activation of health workers to work with people in the camps.

He listed the camps so far activated to include the Ifite-Ogwari and Igbakwu Health Centres.
Tanimu said: “The assessment tour is the first step the Federal Government has to take.

“We have reported our findings to the management of the agency and based on that, they can now deploy relief materials as appropriate.”

He listed clothing, diapers, bedding, sanitary materials and food items, amongst others as part of the relief materials.

“We once again advise villagers to move to the holding camps to avert further loss of lives,” Tanimu said.

Health and Safety

Amotekun Recovers Ak-47 Rifles, Ammunition hidden in Oyo Forest

Published

on

Amotekun Recovers Ak-47 Rifles, Ammunition hidden in Oyo Forest

 The Oyo State wing of the Southwest Security Network (Amotekun Corps) has recovered AK-47 rifles, military camouflage and other items hidden in a forest in the state by suspected kidnappers.

Commandant of the corps in Oyo State, retired Col. Olayinka Olayanju, told newsmen in Ibadan on Monday that the corps recovered four AK-47 rifles, four magazines and 50 rounds of 7.62mm live ammunition.

Also recovered were wraps of Indian hemp, raincoats, two Nigerian Army caps, and a beret.

He said the items were recovered while operatives of the corps were combing forests following rising cases of kidnap on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

“Last weekend, efforts of our men were rewarded when the arms and ammunition were found in one of the forests following a tip-off that some gunmen sighted in the area.

“The security network’s agents are still present in the forest to possibly apprehend the criminal elements,’’ he said.

In his remarks, Special Adviser to Gov. Seyi Makinde on Security Matters, retired Commissioner of Police, Mr. Fatai Owoseni, said the governor had directed security personnel in the state to take proactive steps to stop abductions in the state.

Owoseni said collaboration with local hunters and vigilantes assisted greatly in recent successes recorded by the Amotekun corps in the state.

He assured that the state government would provide the equipment needed for the smooth operation of the corps to enhance their performance.

Continue Reading

Health and Safety

Motor Park Attacks: Osun Police Recover 5 guns, Arrest 10 Suspects

Published

on

Motor Park Attacks: Osun Police Recover 5 guns, Arrest 10 Suspects

 The Osun Police Command on Monday said it had arrested 10 suspects over the attacks across some motor parks in the state on the premise of the forceful takeover of the parks.

SP Yemisi Opalola, the Command’s Spokesperson, in a statement, said five guns, nine live and four expended cartridges and five cutlasses were recovered from the suspects.

“This is to inform the general public that the Osun State Police Command is aware and frowns at the crises that erupted within the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) in the state in the early hours of today (Monday).

The Commissioner of Police, the Area Commanders, Divisional Police Officers, and other stakeholders had met with the NURTW executive, members and other stake holders to avert the crisis and forceful take-over of the parks in the state.

“All consented to maintain peace, but it was a surprise to learn about the attacks by NURTW members in several parts of the state with attendant destruction of offices and injury to some persons and police personnel.

“The CP, Faleye Olaleye, swiftly charged the Area Commanders, Divisional Police Officers and Tactical Commanders to ensure the situation is brought under control and arrest culprits.

“Consequently, the Police operatives tactical operation led to the arrest of 10 suspects and recovery of one Barretta pistol, two Pump Action guns, two Barrel guns, nine live and four expended cartridges, five cutlasses and charms,” she said

She said the CP was, however, assuring the public that the command was fully on top of the situation as mobile, conventional, tactical and patrol teams had been deployed to curtail the crises.

The CP also advised members of the public to go about their lawful businesses without fear of insecurity or attacks.

He warned that anyone found culpable in the unwarranted violence and attacks would face the full wrath of the law.

Continue Reading

Health and Safety

LASTMA apprehends 2 suspected ‘one chance’ robbers; Troops neutralize 4 Kaduna Bandits

Published

on

LASTMA apprehends 2 suspected ‘one chance’ robbers; Troops neutralize 4 Kaduna Bandits

Operatives of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) have arrested two suspected ‘one chance’ armed robbers in Ikate, Lekki-Ajah area of Lagos.

The General Manager of LASTMA Mr. Bolaji Oreagba, said this through the Director, Public Affairs of the authority, Mr. Taofiq Adebayo, in Lagos on Sunday.

 Oreagba disclosed that the suspects were nabbed by the patrol team of the Agency while on duty monitoring and controlling traffic around Lekki-Ajah axis of the State.

 “Our officials heard passengers with loud voice shouting, thieves! thieves!! while on patrol team, in an unpainted commercial bus.

“While trying to stop the driver, he drove dangerously and our men pursued them with LASTMA patrol vehicle down to Ikate where they were blocked by another pathfinder car belonging to a good Samaritan”.

“Two suspects were arrested while the remaining two suspects escaped with the P.O.S. they used to withdraw passengers’ money inside the T4 commercial bus.

“The two arrested suspects with the recovered unpainted T4 commercial bus were later handed over to R.R.S personnel who were on pin-down at Chisco, along Lekki- Ajah”.

“They were all later moved down to Ilasan Police Station for further investigations,” Oreagba said.

The General Manager advised Lagos residents to always ensure they board buses at designated garages adding that they should be vigilant, especially when boarding public vehicles.

One of the rescued passengers Mr. Christophe Omukoro is quoted as saying that he boarded the unpainted commercial bus from Alfa-Beach going to Ikate.

He disclosed that they were four with P.O.S machine collecting passengers’ ATM cards and withdrawing money from individual accounts.

Omukoro confirmed that passengers started shouting thieves! thieves!! thieves!!! after they had collected their phones with other valuables from them.

In another development, the troops of Operation Forest Sanity have neutralized four bandits during clearance operations in identified bandits’ hideouts around Tsohon Gayan, Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

The Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Mr. Samuel Aruwan confirmed the development in a statement on Sunday in Kaduna.

“The troops made contact and pursued the fleeing bandits, two bandits were neutralized during the engagement while credible human intelligence sources revealed that two others died from gunshot wounds.

“Credible sources in the general area reported that two of the four neutralized bandits have been identified as Dogo Mallam and Bello Mallam.”

According to him, the troops recovered one AK47 rifle, one magazine with 22 rounds of ammunition and a motorcycle.

The commissioner said Gov. Nasir El-Rufai praised the troops for their resilience and courage.

He assured that the clearance operations will continue in the general area and other locations.

Continue Reading

Editor’s Pick

Politics

Simply Easy Learning
Simply Easy Learning