Connect with us

Health and Safety

NIGERIA@59: 3 suspected kidnappers burnt to death in Abuja

Published

on

NIGERIA@59: 3 suspected kidnappers burnt to death in Abuja

…As Court remands security man in prison custody for alleged possession of human skull hair***

Angry Mob Monday morning burnt to death three suspected kidnappers at Dutse Alhaji area in Abuja, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.

The suspects were three young men, while the female victim was rushed to Kubwa General Hospital for treatment.

At the scene of the incident, a Vehicle Inspection Office (VIO) officer, Mr Aminu Umar, told NAN that the incident happened at about 8:00a.m. when a lady inside moving vehicle was heard screaming for help.

“The lady was suddenly pushed out of the vehicle while screaming. A motorist, who saw what had happened, pulled over in front of the vehicle and blocked it under the Dutse Bridge.

“From there, Okada riders (motorcyclists) surrounded the vehicle and told them to come out.

“They asked them if the vehicle was one chance (kidnappers) and the next thing, they started beating them and eventually put fire on them and the vehicle,” he said.

Mr Sylvanus Ekpenyong, Route Commander, Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) said that his men were alerted of the event by some people while on duty at Dutse.

“We were at Dutse junction and we got information that there was traffic building up before the Dutse Bridge because a vehicle was on fire.

“We rushed down there to clear the road only to see three dead burnt bodies and a burnt vehicle.

“When we made inquiries from eye witnesses, they said it was one chance (kidnappers).

“So we are here to ensure free traffic flow of vehicles but we don’t know the exact group of people who burnt them,” he said.

An eye witness who is also a motorcyclist, Mr Aliyu Mohammed said that angry motorcyclists attacked and burnt the suspects because it was obvious they were kidnappers as described by the victim.

Mohammed said that it was the normal tactics of kidnappers operating in Abuja to push victims out of their moving vehicle after carrying out their illegal act.

He however, said that the incident of today would serve as a warning to all those involved in such activities within the territory.

Also read:  NIGERIA@59: Army arrests suspected insurgents’ logistics supplier in Borno

NAN also reports that security agents were on ground to ensure the bodies of the suspects were evacuated to a nearby mortuary as they ensured peace and free flow of vehicles in the area.

In the meantime,  a Chief Magistrates’ Court in Ilorin, on Monday, ordered the remand of an accused, Yusuf Shehu in prison custody for alleged possession of human skull hair.

Shehu, 21, resides at No 11, Alkali Street, Isale Koto area, Ilorin.

The Chief Magistrate, Ibrahim Dasuki, made the order on the request of the prosecuting counsel, Sgt. Rhoda Kayode.

Dasuki advised the accused person to get a competent lawyer to stand for him, and adjourned the case untill Oct. 7 for ruling.

The prosecutor had earlier told the court that on Sept. 18, a patrol team attached to the Nigeria Police Operation Harmony, Ilorin, led by Supol Hidi and four others, intercepted a commercial bus, heading to Lagos from Ilorin, along Eiyekorin Area, Ilorin.

Kayode said that during a random search of the vehicle and the passengers, the accused person was found in possession of cowries, human hair, native black soap, shredded white cloth amomg other charms.

She said that during interrogation, the accused could not give a satisfactory explanation for the items, but confessed to have been sent by one Alfa Gafar to deliver the charms to someone in Lagos State.

The accused person pleaded not guilty, saying that the items found in his possession were for his personal protection.

“The black soap is not for me, I was asked to give it to somebody, but the remaining items found on me, like human skull hair, cowries and others were for my protection.

“I was formerly a welder in Ilorin until the death of my mother, then I decided to work in Lagos as a security man, but I was sacked and people advised me to go home for spiritual protection.

“I found the human hair inside a hole, on the wall of a house, and bought the cowries, and other items for protection. I just keep the items in my pocket to be protected against evils,” Shehu said.

The prosecutor said that the accused committed an offence of unlawful removal of human parts and possession of human parts for use as “juju” or charm.

Kayode said that the offence is contrary to Section 7 and 2 and punishable under Section 12 (a) and (b) of the Kwara State Prohibition of dealing in Human Parts Law, No. 4 of 2018.

She said that investigation into the case had been completed, urging the court to remand the accused person in prison custody.

“Insp Ibrahim Ozobehe, attached to the criminal investigation department, carried out the investigation and wrote a nine paragraph affidavit; and we rely on all for our information.

“Attached with the affidavit is the acknowledgment from the Ministry of Justice,” Kayode said.

 

 

Health and Safety

Clean Naija Campaign: Showcasing The Impact Of Dr Moyinoluwa Oladoye

Published

on

…In collaboration with Reckitt, Slum and Rural Health Initiative (SRHIN) and the Wellbeing Foundation Africa (WBFA)

Dr. Moyinoluwa Oladoye, a young visionary leader and healthcare social entrepreneur has radically influenced sanitation and hygiene practices in Nigeria.

 In collaboration with Reckitt, Slum and Rural Health Initiative (SRHIN), and the Wellbeing Foundation Africa (WBFA), he plays a leadership role as the Senior Programme Officer at SRHIN in a transformative initiative to improve the practice of handwashing, hygiene, and sanitation, to about 6 million Nigerians between 2019 and 2025. 

*Dr. Oladoye with representatives from Reckitt Nigeria and the Wellbeing Foundation Africa (WBFA).

With over 5 years of experience as a public health professional, Dr Oladoye has played a pivotal role in the Dettol Quest Hygiene Program that has reached hundreds of schools, health facilities and communities across 3 states in Nigeria since 2019. 

The Dettol Quest Hygiene Program, provides hygiene kits, materials, and structured education, which has led to a notable improvement in knowledge, attitudes, and behaviours associated with sanitation and hygiene practices in Nigeria.

*Group photo with some of the project beneficiaries (students) at the Dettol Quest Hygiene Program closeout event in Lagos, Nigeria. 

The most recent rigorous impact assessment conducted in 2023 led by Dr Oladoye spanned through students, community members, and mothers/ pregnant women via pre-implementation (baseline) and post-implementation (endline) surveys. The results showed remarkable improvement in the knowledge, attitude and practice of the project’s beneficiaries.

Following former President Muhammadu Buhari’s declaration for the Open Defecation-Free Nigeria by 2025 Order, Dr Oladoye is one of Nigeria’s leading Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) advocates whose projects on WASH have been presented at several state and national stakeholders meetings on WASH.

*Dr. Oladoye during the impact assessment presentation at the closeout event in Lagos, Nigeria. 

This includes the recent closeout event that held in Lagos, drawing a distinguished gathering of stakeholders, including Reckitt Nigeria, The Wellbeing Foundation Africa (WBFA), Slum and Rural Health Initiative (SRHIN), the Federal Ministry of Education, State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB), Standards Organization of Nigeria (SON), and other pivotal figures in the fields of public health and education.

Continue Reading

Health and Safety

NDLEA Arrests 92 Suspects, Seizes 217kg Illicit Substances In Kaduna

Published

on

NDLEA arrests India-bound businessman with 9.40kg heroin in Lagos

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Kaduna State Command, has arrested 92 suspects and seized 217.02kg of illicit substances since the beginning of 2024.

The state Commander of NDLEA, Mr Samaila Danmalam, disclosed in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday in Kaduna.

According to him,  the suspects comprise 88 males and four females.

He added that the seized substances included Indian hemp, cocaine, heroin, tramadol and methamphetamine.

The commander said that NDLEA operatives raided 19 illicit drugs in the state during the period.

He said that the command secured the conviction of 24 suspects and charged  25 to court during the period.

“ln its drug demand reduction efforts, 29 drug users were counselled while seven drug addicts were successfully rehabilitated.

“In a bid to dissuade members of the public from illicit drug use and trafficking, enlightenment campaigns were carried out at various locations targeting 6,956 participants.

The commander called on members of the public to provide useful and timely information to the command, saying the fight against drug abuse and trafficking requires the support of all Nigerians.

  • NAN
Continue Reading

Health and Safety

Enugu Hospital Detains Nnewi Woman, Her Triplets Over N352,350 Delivery Bill

Published

on

Gov. Soludo appoints CPS, MD/CEOs, others

A private hospital, Praise and Grace Hospital and Maternity, Enugu, has detained Mrs Joan Orajiobi and her triplets over the family’s inability to pay the delivery bill of N352,350.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Orajiobi, a native of Nnewi in Anambra, gave birth to two girls and a boy in the hospital in Enugu on New Year’s Day.

Speaking to NAN from the hospital on Friday, Orajiobi, who lives at Ologo Quarters, Uwani Enugu, said she had been discharged on Jan. 8 but held by the hospital due to their inability to complete the hospital bill.

She said the hospital billed them a total of N482,350, but that her husband was only able to pay N130,000, the remaining balance of N352,350.

“The bill amounted to that because I gave birth through Caesarian Section (CS).
“I am a hairdresser. I had two girls already before this pregnancy came in May, but I never knew I was pregnant with triplets until the scan which showed that l was carrying twins.

Gov. Soludo appoints CPS, MD/CEOs, others
*Gov. Soludo of Anambra State

“I am pleading to Nigerians, organisations especially the governors of Enugu and Anambra States, to come to my rescue and assist us with financial support. I want to go home and take care my children.

“Anybody that is touched by our condition can reach and assist us through my husband’s Access Account Number 0043854232, Account Name: Nchekwube Orajiobi C. and his WhatsApp 08065846537,’’ she pleaded.

She added that she was always touched seeing other patients who came after them leaving the hospital while they were held because they could not pay.

The husband, Mr Cornelius Orajiobi, a trader, said they both hailed from Obiofia in Nnewi North Local Government Area of Anambra State.

He said he was excited to have triplets but regretted that it would be difficult for him and his wife to take care of the babies in terms of feeding.

“Nigerians should please assist us because this gift is bigger than what we can cater for alone.

“The N130,000 I deposited came from friends and well-wishers while I borrowed some.
“Apart from the medical bill, I need what I will use to bring up these kids,’’ he pleaded.

When contacted, the Medical Director of the hospital, Dr Shedrack Emeribe, told NAN that he operated on Orajiobi without a deposit from the family.

He added that it was after four days of the operation that her husband deposited N60,000 before making it up to N130,000.
He explained that all the things they were requested for the delivery were not provided, stressing that the hospital provided it for them.

“I told the husband to make an initial deposit of N150,000 but he never paid a dime till a few days after CS. But I have to save those lives,” he said.

He said that the bill of N482,350 included surgery, theatre, drug fees, and Hospital Services. 

Continue Reading

Editor’s Pick

Politics