Connect with us

crime

Olejeme: Court admits ex-chairman NSITF, to bail, over Alleged funds diversion

Published

on

Olejeme: Court admits ex-chairman NSITF, to bail, over Alleged funds diversion

Olejeme: Court admits ex-chairman NSITF, to bail, over Alleged funds diversion

An FCT High Court sitting in Jabi on Friday admitted the former board chairman of Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund (NSITF), Ngozi Olejeme, to bail.

The court in addition adjourned the matter until Nov.8 for hearing.

The court adopted the administrative bail conditions already granted the defendant by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission( EFCC).

The conditions stated that the defendant provided two assistant directors in government establishments as sureties.

The judge, Justice Maryam Hassan in addition to the ruling directed that the travel documents of the defendant be submitted at the court’s registry.

Newsmen report that on Thursday, the court ordered that the defendant be remanded in EFCC’s custody pending Friday’s ruling on the bail application as brought by the defendant’s counsel, Paul Erokoro, SAN.

Olejeme is charged with criminal conspiracy, abuse of office, diversion of public funds and money laundering.

Also read: Olejeme: Court remands ex-chairman NSITF in EFCC custody, over Alleged public funds diversion

The offence it was alleged she committed between 2012 and 2015, when she was the board chairman of the NSITF.

The nine-count charge bordering on mismanagement, giving false statements, taking kickback from contracts and diversion of NSITF funds into personal accounts and companies she had an interest in, formed the basis for the defendant’s arraignment.

One of the charges alleged that the funds were diverted through the award of suspicious contracts to proxy companies.

The offence, the anti-graft agency said, contravened the provisions of sections 8,19 (1) (b) (1), punishable under the Corrupt Practice & other Related Offence Act 2000 and Section 17, (1) (2), 39 of EFCC (Establishment) Act, 2004 and punishable under the same section.

The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge preferred against her.

With the defendant pleading not guilty, the prosecution counsel, Steve Odiase prayed for a date for hearing to enable the prosecution to prove her case against the defendant.

Erokoro on his part then moved the bail application for his client.

crime

Adamawa Violent Crimes: Police arrest 208 suspects in January, Recover AK47 riffles, locally fabricated guns

Published

on

Adamawa Violent Crimes: Police arrest 208 suspects in January, Recover AK47 riffles, locally fabricated guns

The Police Command in Adamawa says it has arrested 208 suspects in connection with various crimes in the state.

The Commissioner of Police (CP) Sikiru Akande, disclosed this at a news conference in Yola on Thursday.

Akande disclosed that 108 of the suspects had already been charged in court.

He disclosed that the suspects were arrested in connection with suspected Kidnapping, armed robbery, cattle rustling and other violent crimes.

According to him, seven AK47 riffles, seven locally fabricated guns, generators, and televisions among other exhibits, were recovered.

“Early this year the command renewed its commitment and designed a security template to deliver on the mandate of the IGP Usman Alkali Baba to leave a deepened legacy of Democratic system and credible electoral process in the country.

“From Jan. 1st to date, the command operatives carried out tactical and intelligence-driven patrols, raiding of criminal hideouts, rescue operations, stop and search operations, community policing, and engagement of stakeholders among others.

“These operations yielded positive results and a total of 208 suspects were arrested in connection with kidnapping, armed robbery, cattle rustling and other violent crimes, out of which 108 suspects were charged to court.”

Akande commended the government and people of Adamawa for the support and cooperation rendered to the command that yielded the success recorded.

He gave assurance that all the suspects would be diligently prosecuted upon completion of investigation.

“Those at large will equally be traced and made to face the wrath of the law,” he said.

Continue Reading

crime

EDITOR’S PICK: Ayojimi, son of Popular Musician, Docked over alleged Wife Battery

Published

on

 Ayojimi Balogun, 33, son of popular “Juju” Musician, Queen Ayo Balogun, was on Thursday brought before a family court in Ikeja for allegedly beating his wife.

…Ayojimi pleads not guilty as wife appears in court with neck guard!***

 Ayojimi Balogun, 33, son of popular “Juju” Musician, Queen Ayo Balogun, was on Thursday brought before a family court in Ikeja for allegedly beating his wife.

Balogun, who resides at Oniru Estate, Victoria Island, Lagos State is charged with assaulting his wife by beating her.

Ayojimi pleaded not guilty to the charge.

The Prosecutor, Insp. Ajayi Emmanuel told the court that the defendant committed the offence on Dec. 30, 2022.

Emmanuel said the defendant allegedly assaulted his wife, Jennifer Balogun, 27, by beating her.

He said the offence was contrary to Section 170 and punishable under Section 172 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, Nigeria, 2015.

Defence counsel Semilore Oluwataye urged the court to grant his client bail in the most liberal terms and promised that his client would be present at all the court proceedings.

The Magistrate, Mrs I.O. Raji admitted the defendant to a bail in the sum of N50,000 and two sureties, who must be residents of Lagos State.

Raji adjourned the case until Feb. 16 for mention.

The complainant, brought by the staff of the Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Agency, appeared in court with a neck guard.

Continue Reading

crime

Alleged N23.338bn fraud: Court adjourns until March 6 for ex-minister Yuguda’s counsel to cross-examine EFCC witness

Published

on

An FCT High Court on Thursday adjourned until March 6 for counsel to former Finance Minister of State, Bashir Yuguda to cross-examine Economic and Financial Crimes Commission(EFCC) witness.

An FCT High Court on Thursday adjourned until March 6 for counsel to former Finance Minister of State, Bashir Yuguda to cross-examine Economic and Financial Crimes Commission(EFCC) witness.

Yuguda, ex-National Security Adviser (NSA), Rtd Col. Sambo Dasuki, and three others are charged with 25 counts bordering on alleged N23.3 billion fraud by the EFCC.

Others charged are former governor of Sokoto State, Attahiru Bafarawa, his son, Sagir, and their company, Dalhatu Investment Limited

Justice Yusuf Halilu fixed the date with the consensus of all the counsel in the matter after the prosecuting counsel Mr. Oluwaleke Atolegbe. prayed the court for an adjournment because his witness, Mr. Aliyu Mukadas a staff member of the Central Bank was not in court.

Mukadas who is the first EFCC witness (PW1) testified on Nov. 17.

He said that the witness was to be cross-examined by the defendant’s counsel.

There were no objections from counsel in the matter.

The witness in his testimony on that day told the court how N4.6 billion in the account of the office of the ONSA was moved to Dalhatu Investment.

EFCC had arraigned the defendants first before Justice Peter Affen, now of the Court of Appeal, on Dec. 24, 2015.

The matter was later transferred to Justice Hussein Baba-Yusuf, now the FCT Chief Judge in October 2016.

The case could not take off since it was first brought to court largely due to the detention of the former NSA by the Department of State Service (DSS).

On May 24, 2022, the defendants were re-arraigned before Justice Yusuf Halilu on an amended 25-count -charge bordering on misappropriation, criminal breach of trust and receiving stolen property.

They all, however, pleaded not guilty when the charges were read to them. 

Continue Reading

Advertisement

Editor’s Pick

Politics