Connect with us

crime

Police Launch Manhunt For Killers Of 5 JTF Personnel In Imo

Published

on

Gunmen Abduct NPC Commissioner, Aides At Rivers Section Of East-West Road

The Police Command in Imo says it has launched a manhunt to apprehend the killers of five Joint Task Force (JTF) personnel who were killed on Tuesday at Ehime Mbano area of the state.

The Command’s Spokesman, ASP Henry Okoye disclosed this in a statement made available to newsmen on Wednesday.

Okoye said the Commissioner of Police, Mr Mohammed Barde, had deployed the command’s Special Tactical Team and equipped them with operational assets to apprehend the hoodlums.

According to him, five security operatives of the state’s Joint Task Force (JTF) comprising of two NDLEA personnel, one Civil Defense officer, one Police officer and an Air Force Officer were ambushed.

He said the deceased operatives were responding to a decoy distress call at Oriagu in Ehime Mbano Local Government Area on Tuesday when they were attacked and killed.

Okoye said the Commissioner of Police with Gov. Hope Uzodimma and the heads of some security agencies in the state had visited the scene of crime for an on-the-spot assessment of the incident.

He explained that the confidence-building patrol carried out by the governor and security chiefs to the scene was aimed at assuring Imo residents, particularly those living in Ehime Mbano, of their maximum safety.

Emouha Assault: Police De'ranks Inspector, Reprimand Another

“CP Barde extends his heartfelt condolences to the families and relatives of the deceased officers and prays that the Almighty God grants them the fortitude to bear the sudden and irreplaceable loss.

“The Commissioner of Police appreciates the concerns of the general public and vows that no stone will be left unturned in ensuring that the perpetrators of the dastardly act are made to face the full wrath of the law.

“The CP reiterates the command’s commitment in collaborating with other sister security agencies in providing adequate security for all and sundry in Imo State,” he stated.

Okoye urged members of the public to report suspicious persons or clandestine activities observed within their vicinity via the emergency lines – 08034773600 or 08098880197. (NAN)(www.nannews.ng)

Continue Reading
Advertisement Simply Easy Learning
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

4 × 2 =

crime

FCTA Bursts Alleged Illegal Oil Refining Warehouse In Abuja

Published

on

An effort to probably enable Abuja to acquire the status of an oil-producing domain has resulted in officials of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA), in collaboration with security agencies, on Thursday, burst an alleged illegal oil refining warehouse, in Mabushi, Abuja.

The warehouse, located opposite Mobile Filling Station along Ahmadu Bello Way, Mabushi, was thereafter, demolished by the Department of Development Control, FCTA.

The Director of the department, Mr Mukhtar Galadima, said that the refining warehouse was discovered during the ongoing city cleaning exercise.

Galadima said the warehouse, covering about three to four plots of land designated for commercial purposes had been converted to illegal operations where oil like diesel and other petroleum products were being adulterated.

He said the city sanitation task force would look into the provision of the law and make necessary recommendations to the FCT Administration for further actions on the plots used for the illegal activities.

The director, who explained that no arrest was made, however, said some of the items being used in carrying out the illegal activity have been impounded.

*Some of the items recovered at the alleged illegal refining warehouse in Mabushi, Abuja

“We have done the needful by moving the items to Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps.

“From what we have seen so far, about three or four plots of lands designated for commercial purposes have been converted to unapproved activities.

“We believe that the owners are fully aware, and as such, there will be consequences.

“We are going to look at the provision of the law and make necessary recommendations to the FCT Administration,” he said.

He said the administration would be tough on any contravention of land use without approval.

Continue Reading

crime

Banditry: COAS Announces Deployment Of Special Troops To Benue

Published

on

Suspected bandits kill NIS personnel, injure 2 others in Jigawa

The Nigeria Army said it would deploy its Special Forces to tackle banditry and other security challenges in three local government areas of Benue State.

The Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Taoreed Lagbaja, disclosed this on Wednesday when he paid a courtesy call to Gov. Hyacinth Alia at the Government House, Makurdi.

Lagbaja said the special forces would be deployed to Ukum, Logo, and Katsina-Ala to restore peace in the local government areas.

He said he had discussed with the Commander, 4 Special Forces in Doma, Nasarawa State, and agreed to take steps to address the security challenges in Benue.

“By next week we will deploy Special Forces to ensure that peace returns in Zaki Biam in Ukum, Logo, and Katsina-Ala LGAs.

“The troops will work in conjunction with the existing military operations already in the area.

“We will also ensure that all the IDPs currently occupying public schools return to their homes so that students can continue with their learning.

“We are readily available to assist the state if such a request is within our mandate.

“The troops will work to ensure that all law-abiding citizens enjoy their freedom and go about their normal lives,” Lagbaja said. 

The Army Chief appreciated the Benue Government for its support of the military. 

Lagbaja said he was on a tour of the Nigerian Army School of Military Engineering, Makurdi, and 4 Special Forces in Doma, to physically assess the living conditions of troops and their families. 

Earlier, Gov. Alia commended Lagbaja for listening to their cries and taking further steps to ensure all displaced persons return to their homes.

Alia said the result of the ongoing research in the state by Senior Course 46 students of the Armed Forces Command and Staff College Jaji, should be implemented to ensure peace and stability in the state. 

The governor pledged continuous partnership and support to the military and other security agencies to restore peace to the state. 

Continue Reading

crime

NDLEA Commends Customs Over Seized Illicit Substances Weighing Over 15,000kg

Published

on

NDLEA arrests India-bound businessman with 9.40kg heroin in Lagos

The Chairman and Chief Executive of NDLEA, General Buba Marwa (rtd) has lauded the Nigeria Customs Service (NSC) for its pivotal role in cleansing the country of illicit drugs. 

Marwa who was represented by the Director of Narcotics, Samuel Gazama at the handing over of illicit drugs to the agency stressed the severe societal threat posed by Cannabis Sativa and affirmed the NDLEA’s unwavering commitment to collaboration with the NCS in the relentless fight against drug trafficking. 

“We will not relent until our battles on drug trafficking are achieved,” Gazama stated.

 NCS delivered a blow to drug cartels operating within the nation’s coastal waters and land borders by handing over hard substances, suspected to be Cannabis Sativa and Tramadol, to NDLEA. 

The handover ceremony occurred on Thursday, 23 November 2023, at the Customs Warehouse in Karu, Abuja.

During a joint press briefing, Comptroller-General of Customs, CGC  Adewale Adeniyi MFR, disclosed that the illicit substances were seized in operations conducted by the Western Marine Command, FOU Zone ‘A,’ and Zone ‘B’ formations. Notable contributors to this effort included the Ogun 1 Area Command and Federal Operations Unit Zone ‘C.’

The CGC stated that the Nigeria Customs Service and the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) solidified their commitment to combat drug trafficking by signing a Memorandum of Understanding on 4 April 2023.

CGC Adeniyi emphasized the significance of community support in the battle against drug trafficking, stating, “This is a battle for every citizen.” He detailed the seized items, including 13,567 parcels of Cannabis Sativa from Zone ‘A,’ 1,511 parcels and 292 bags of Indian Hemp from Zone ‘B,’ and 3,213 parcels and blocks, along with 935 sacks of Cannabis Sativa from Zone ‘C’.

From Ogun I Command, 2,223 wraps and 144 sacks of Cannabis Sativa, weighing a total of 3,312.7kg, were seized. Additionally, the Western Marine Command contributed with 2,205 parcels weighing 624kg.

Continue Reading

Editor’s Pick

Politics