Connect with us

Foreign News

Reps committee kicks as bulldozer invades Nigeria’s embassy in Ghana



Reps committee uncovers N300bn unclaimed funds in banks

…NIDO frowns, Ghana Govt pleads!***

The House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Affairs says Ghana must face the consequences of its actions and inactions as a bulldozer invade and demolished Nigerian Embassy staff quarters in Accra.

In a statement by its chairman, Rep. Yusuf Buba on Monday, the committee frowned at the act, saying it infringed the International Rights of Nigeria.

Buba described the act as an invasion of Nigerian’s sovereignty and as external aggression on the Nigerian state.

The lawmaker said that it was a gross violation of all known conventions and treaties on diplomatic relations and friendship between both countries.

He said that a high-capacity bulldozer was deployed by some unnamed Ghanaian nationals to invade the diplomatic premises of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in Accra, Ghana.

According to him, a witness narrated how a heavy-duty bulldozer had arrived at the diplomatic premises at late hours of the night and broken through the gate.

Narrating the witness’s account, Buba said the bulldozer demolished four units of the nearly-completed four-bedroom block of flats.

He said the buildings were awaiting the occupation by some members of the Nigeria Diplomatic Mission in Accra in the mission premises.

“While the demolition lasted, several frantic efforts were said to have been made by members of the Nigeria Mission to report what was ongoing to both the Ghana Police Service and their Foreign Affairs Ministry.

“In spite of those efforts, no reprieve, we were told, came the way of the Nigerian diplomats.

“We further learnt that, even when the Police finally arrived the scene, they could not do anything,’’ he said.

Buba said that the present Nigeria mission in Accra, constituted a four hectares of land that was officially allocated to Nigeria as part of the agreement to situate the mission of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in Ghana.

“Nigeria possessed all necessary legal titles and certifications, including site plan, payment receipts and allocation papers from the Ghanaian authorities in respect of the land.’’

Also read:  ECOWAS Court to give judgement in $529,000 damages suit, others

The chairman condemned the act of trespass committed saying that it is a breach of the Vienna Convention and bears the capacity to cause a diplomatic row and escalate tension between our country and Ghana.

“The action, and indeed, inaction which makes the authorities complicit in the act, the Ghanaian people violated many an article in the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations of 1949 and, therefore, must be sanctioned.

“As a parliament, we stand resolute to do everything within our powers to review, re-appraise and re-examine the relationship of the Federal Republic of Nigeria with the Republic of Ghana.

“We shall deploy all legislative means within our disposal, including exploring and invoking all necessary rules, regulations and instruments that guide our common membership in other parliaments, to compel the Republic of Ghana to answer for this act of gross violation and abuse of the immunities of the Nigeria mission and its staff,’’ Buba said.

According to him, Nigeria cannot let this one pass silently in the name of diplomacy from a big-brother nation as in the past.

The lawmaker said that Nigeria’s High Commissioner must be recalled by the Executive arm of the government for consultation.

He called on President Muhammadu Buhari to invite Ghana’s High Commissioner to Nigeria to provide answers to questions.

The committee called on all peoples and nations of goodwill across the globe to condemn that act of aggression by the Republic of Ghana against the Federal Republic of Nigeria on its soil.

In a related development, Nigerians in Diaspora Organisation (NIDO), Ghana chapter, and the Government of Ghana on Monday reacted to the attacks on Nigerian residential buildings in that country, following the bulldozers invasion and demolition of a block of uncompleted apartments on Friday night, June 19.

Reacting to the development, the Vice-President of NIDO-Ghana, Mr Kingsley Attoe, in a telephone interview, urged the Federal Government to take urgent steps to address the situation.

He described the building to have been constructed to house staff and visiting diplomats to the High Commission before it was demolished.

The NIDO-Ghana vice president noted that no arrest had so far been made on the attack.

Attoe said: “The attack occurred at 10 p.m. on June 19, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has issued a statement to condemn that act.

“There was no record of injury and the security operatives have been harassed over the incident.

“Our Charge D’ Affairs was asked to leave or be bulldozed. She had to leave the place after calling the police headquarters, which is just a few meters away.

“The information we have is that the High Commission was not informed, the guy who is said to be a businessman claims he owns the land title in 2019.

“We are petitioning the Foreign Affairs Committee, the Presidency in Nigeria, National Assembly and other relevant authorities in Nigeria, we need to act fast.”

He described Ghana as a sister nation, which most Nigerians loved and are proud of, noting that some Nigerians do businesses there peacefully with great Ghanaians, like renowned Journalist, Kwasi Pratt.

He also noted that no High Commissioner had been appointed from Nigeria to Ghana, but that NIDO and other Nigerian associations had gone out to sort out the issue on ground.

He said although there was no proof the action was backed by Ghana government, Nigerian government should show displeasure over such action,

In its reaction, the Ghanaian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration in a statement said unidentified individuals allegedly breached the premises of the High Commission and demolished the property under construction at about 10.30 p.m.

“The Ministry views with concern this development which is a breach of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations (VCDR, 1961).

“Investigations are ongoing to unravel the facts of the matter and bring the perpetrators to book.

“Meanwhile Ghanaian government has beefed-up security at the said facility and the situation is under control.

“Whilst expressing regrets over the incident the Ministry wishes to reassure the Diplomatic community in Ghana and the Nigerian High Commission in particular that Ghana remains a law-abiding country.

“Ghana upholds the principle of the rule of law, where due process is followed at all times.

“The government will, therefore, not relent on its primary obligation to guarantee the safety of members of Diplomatic Corps in Ghana,” the statement said.



Foreign News

Israel Rejects Calls For Ceasefire Before UN Security Council



Israel at the United Nations Security Council in New York on Wednesday rejected calls for a permanent ceasefire in the Gaza war.

Israeli UN Ambassador Gilad Erdan told the most powerful UN body that with a ceasefire in place, Israel would not be able to protect its citizens.

“Anyone who supports a ceasefire, basically supports Hamas’ continued reign of terror in Gaza,” he said.

One could not demand a ceasefire and at the same time claim to be seeking a solution to the conflict, Erdan said further, noting that the militant Hamas is not a partner for reliable peace.

“Hamas has publicly stated – you all saw it – that it will repeat Oct. 7 over and over again until Israel is no more.

“How would you respond and defend your citizens from such a clear threat with a ceasefire?” he queried.

Erdan maintained that there could only be an end to the violence if Hamas handed over all its hostages and everyone else involved in the attack on Israel on Oct. 7.

  • dpa
Continue Reading

Foreign News

Report of Israeli hostage family’s deaths overshadows negotiations on Gaza truce



Negotiations between Israel and Hamas to extend the Gaza truce were overshadowed at the last minute on Wednesday by an unconfirmed claim by Hamas that a family of Israeli hostages including a 10-month-old baby had been killed.

Shortly before the final release of women and children hostages scheduled under the truce, the military wing of Hamas said in a statement that the youngest hostage, baby Kfir Bibas, had been killed in an earlier Israeli bombing, along with his four-year-old brother Ariel and their mother.

Their father, who has also been held, was not mentioned in the statement.

Israeli officials said they were checking the Hamas claim, a highly emotive issue in Israel where the family is among the highest-profile civilian hostages yet to be freed.

“The IDF (Israel Defense Forces) is assessing the accuracy of the information,” the military said in a statement which added that it held Hamas responsible for the safety of all the hostages in Gaza.

Relatives had issued a special appeal for the family’s freedom after the children and their parents were excluded from the penultimate group freed on Tuesday.

An Israeli official said it would be impossible to extend the ceasefire on Thursday morning, due to a lapse, without a commitment to release all women and children among the hostages.

The official said Israel believed militants were still holding enough women and children to prolong the truce by 2-3 days.

Egyptian security sources also said negotiators believed a two-day extension was possible.

Families of those Israeli hostages due to be released later on Wednesday had already been informed earlier of their names, the final group to be freed under the truce unless negotiators succeeded in extending it.

Officials did not say at the time whether that included the Bibas family.

Gaza’s Hamas rulers published a list of 15 women and 15 teenage Palestinians to be released from Israeli jails in return for the hostages released on Wednesday.

The hostages were seized by militants in their deadly raid on Israel on Oct. 7.

For the first time since the truce began, the list of Palestinians to be freed included Palestinian citizens of Israel, as well as residents of occupied territory.

So far, Gaza militants have freed 60 Israeli women and children from among 240 hostages, under the deal that secured the war’s first truce.

At least 21 foreigners, mainly Thai farmworkers, were also freed under separate parallel deals.

In return, Israel has released 180 Palestinian security detainees, all women and teenagers.

The initial four-day truce was extended by 48 hours from Tuesday, and Israel said it would be willing to prolong it further for as long as Hamas frees 10 hostages a day.

But with fewer women and children still in captivity, that could mean agreeing to terms governing the release of at least some Israeli men for the first time.

A Palestinian official said negotiators were hammering out whether Israeli men would be released on different terms than the exchange for three Palestinian detainees each that had previously applied to the women and children.

Israeli government spokesperson Eylon Levy said Israel would consider any serious proposal, though he declined to provide further details.

“We are doing everything we can in order to get those hostages out. Nothing is confirmed until it is confirmed,” Levy told reporters in Tel Aviv.

“We’re talking about very sensitive negotiations in which human lives hang in the balance,” he added.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu repeated his earlier pledges to pursue the war to annihilate Hamas, once the ceasefire lapses.

“There is no way we are not going back to fighting until the end.

“This is my policy. The entire cabinet stands behind it. The entire government stands behind it. The soldiers stand behind it. The people stand behind it. This is exactly what we will do,” he said in a statement.

Tuesday’s release also included for the first time hostages held by Islamic Jihad, a separate militant group, as well as by Hamas itself.

“The ability of Hamas to secure the release of hostages held by other factions had been an issue in earlier talks.

The truce has brought the first respite to a war launched by Israel to annihilate Hamas after the “Black Shabbat” raid by gunmen who killed 1,200 people on the Jewish rest day, according to Israel’s tally.

Israeli bombardment has since reduced much of Gaza to a wasteland, with more than 15,000 people confirmed killed, 40 percent of them children, according to Palestinian health authorities deemed reliable by the United Nations.

Many more are feared buried under the ruins. The Palestinian health ministry said another 160 bodies had been pulled out of rubble during the past 24 hours of the truce, and around 6,500 people were still missing.

  • Reuters
Continue Reading

Foreign News

Israeli army says it has opened door leading to tunnel under hospital



The Israeli army says it has broken open the sealed blast door at the end of a suspected Hamas tunnel under the al-Shifa hospital in the Gaza Strip.

The military published two pictures on social media platform X, formerly called Twitter, Tuesday evening showing the open door in a tunnel.

What exactly is behind the door remained unclear at first.

“Just through this door, underneath the Shifa Hospital, are Hamas’ terrorists tunnels.

“Here’s the PROOF of Hamas’ terrorism festering underneath hospitals,” the Israel Defense Forces said in their post on X.

However, the photographs were published without context and could not be independently verified.

The military suspects a command centre of the Islamist Hamas under the largest hospital in the Gaza Strip.

Buildings in the vicinity of the hospital were also suspected.

According to the army, a shaft uncovered a few days ago in the grounds of the embattled hospital led to a tunnel, at the end of which there was a locked “explosion-proof door” after 55 metres.

Israel says the tunnel leads to a network of Hamas tunnels and bunkers.

In spite of international criticism, Israeli soldiers have been engaging in combat operations in and around the Shifa hospital for days.

Israel accuses Hamas of misusing the hospital for “terrorist purposes.”

But Hamas denies this.

  • dpa


Continue Reading

Editor’s Pick