Connect with us

Latest News

Ronaldo to leave Manchester United after criticising Club

Published

on

Ronaldo to leave Manchester United after criticising Club

Manchester forward Cristiano Ronaldo will leave with immediateUnited effect, the English Premier League (EPL) club said on Tuesday.

The development marked a bitter end to the Portugal captain’s second spell at Old Trafford after he said he felt betrayed by the club.

An interview this month — in which Ronaldo also said he did not respect manager Erik ten Hag —- had put him on shaky ground at the club.

He rejoined the club in August 2021 after winning eight major trophies with them from 2003 to 2009.

Manchester United said last week they would address Ronaldo’s comments only after establishing the complete facts and added last Friday that they had initiated “appropriate steps” in response.

“Cristiano Ronaldo is to leave Manchester United by mutual agreement, with immediate effect.

“The club thanks him for his immense contribution across two spells at Old Trafford, scoring 145 goals in 346 appearances, and wishes him and his family well for the future,” Manchester United said in a statement.

“Everyone at Manchester United remains focused on continuing the team’s progress under Ten Hag and working together to deliver success on the pitch.”

Last month, Ten Hag said Ronaldo had refused to come on as a substitute against Premier League rivals Tottenham Hotspur.

This was when the forward walked down the tunnel with a few minutes of the game remaining after being put on the bench.

The 37-year-old was then not part of the squad which faced Chelsea the following Saturday before returning to the fold.

Ronaldo later said in the interview he regretted leaving early against Spurs, but added his decision to walk off came because he felt “provoked” by Ten Hag.

Ronaldo said in a statement on Tuesday that he loved the club and the fans.

“… That will never ever change,” he added. “However, it feels like the right time for me to seek a new challenge. I wish the team every success for the remainder of the season and for the future.”

Raphael Varane, Ronaldo’s French teammate at Manchester United, said last week that the Portuguese’s comments had affected the club’s players.

Many of them are also at the World Cup in Qatar.

Ronaldo confirmed on Monday that an awkward handshake between him and midfielder Bruno Fernandes that was caught on camera and went viral was the result of a joke.

He said the joke was between the Portugal and Manchester United teammates.

Ronaldo added that he did not believe his actions would affect Portugal’s squad, adding that he felt great about the country’s chances of winning the World Cup.

Portugal kicks off their campaign against Ghana on Thursday.

-Reuters

Latest News

Traffic Flow: COMTUA, PSTT reconcile for Enhanced Efficiency

Published

on

Traffic Flow: COMTUA, PSTT reconcile for Enhanced Efficiency

The Council of Maritime Transport Unions and Associations (COMTUA) has reconciled its differences with the Presidential Special Task Team (PSTT), in a bid to ensure enhanced traffic flow.

The Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has also stressed the need for bi-annual inspection of all boats operating in Lagos waters, in addition to, water guards being present in all jetties to ensure ferry Operators do not overload their boats.

 Announcing the reconciliation at its Annual Congress in Lagos, the COMTUA President, Prince Adeyinka Aroyewun said that COMTUA  purposely left  PSTT because the task force was derailing from its core functions while its performance was being exaggerated.

Aroyewun stated that these allegations made COMTUA pull out of PSTT.

The COMTUA President declared that the associations and the PSTT have now reconciled for effective collaboration in ensuring zero traffic at the port corridor.

 “We left the committee initially because the committee seems to be derailing. But over time, with our criticism and lots of efforts of the Nigerian Shippers Council, I think we are now on track. COMTUA sees the reason to collaborate with them especially when it comes to the area of traffic in the ports access roads. I want to believe that if we collaborate we will achieve more results than what we are seeing”,  Aroyewun stated.

He had earlier in his opening speech noted that the union’s engagements with the government and other stakeholders had led to the disbandment and suspension of several task forces and creation of functional and supportive bodies to assist their businesses. He promised to deliver on the union’s promise to bring everyone on board and attend to the needs of members.

 The National Coordinator of PSTT, Mr. Moses Fadipe, who represented the Nigerian Shippers Council (NSC) at the event, pointed out that the Committee has decided to welcome COMTUA back, for better relationship and engagement in achieving the goals and objectives of the team.

He emphasised that the Rules of Engagement of the team remain unchanged.

Fadipe, however, urged the union to strictly abide by the Rules of Engagement to avoid future disagreements.

“The COMTUA President said some time ago they left the Task Team because they felt they are not doing enough but now they said they are back.

“A father cannot have 20 children and wish that one will be out of the Palace. We have welcomed them back fully as the National Coordinator. I would convey the message to the Presidential Task Team. But be that as it may, our Rules of Engagement remain the same. It has never changed”,  Fadipe stressed.

 The Governor of Lagos State Babajide Sanwo-Olu stressed the importance of technology in the development of the haulage, logistics and transportation sector at large.

Represented by the General Manager, Lagos State Waterways Authority (LASWA), Mr. Damilola Emmanuel, the governor hinted that a bi-annual inspection of all boats is being carried out, and water guards are in all jetties to ensure people are not overloading their boats. He added that there is the introduction of fuel docks in Lagos, Eastern and Western axis to reduce the risk on the water.

The Special Adviser to the Governor, Lagos State Ministry of Transportation, Hon. Sola Giwa represented by Engr. Ojo Owuro commended the efforts and contributions of COMTUA to the development of transportation in Lagos.

 He announced that the Ministry has issued an approval recognising COMTUA as a single body.

He enjoined members of the Union to shun disunity but work together as a team.

COMTUA later presented awards to  Vice President of the Federation, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu,  Managing Director of NPA, Muhammed Bello-Koko and Executive Secretary of NSC, Hon. Emmanuel Jime.

Continue Reading

Health and Safety

Amotekun Recovers Ak-47 Rifles, Ammunition hidden in Oyo Forest

Published

on

Amotekun Recovers Ak-47 Rifles, Ammunition hidden in Oyo Forest

 The Oyo State wing of the Southwest Security Network (Amotekun Corps) has recovered AK-47 rifles, military camouflage and other items hidden in a forest in the state by suspected kidnappers.

Commandant of the corps in Oyo State, retired Col. Olayinka Olayanju, told newsmen in Ibadan on Monday that the corps recovered four AK-47 rifles, four magazines and 50 rounds of 7.62mm live ammunition.

Also recovered were wraps of Indian hemp, raincoats, two Nigerian Army caps, and a beret.

He said the items were recovered while operatives of the corps were combing forests following rising cases of kidnap on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

“Last weekend, efforts of our men were rewarded when the arms and ammunition were found in one of the forests following a tip-off that some gunmen sighted in the area.

“The security network’s agents are still present in the forest to possibly apprehend the criminal elements,’’ he said.

In his remarks, Special Adviser to Gov. Seyi Makinde on Security Matters, retired Commissioner of Police, Mr. Fatai Owoseni, said the governor had directed security personnel in the state to take proactive steps to stop abductions in the state.

Owoseni said collaboration with local hunters and vigilantes assisted greatly in recent successes recorded by the Amotekun corps in the state.

He assured that the state government would provide the equipment needed for the smooth operation of the corps to enhance their performance.

Continue Reading

Health and Safety

Motor Park Attacks: Osun Police Recover 5 guns, Arrest 10 Suspects

Published

on

Motor Park Attacks: Osun Police Recover 5 guns, Arrest 10 Suspects

 The Osun Police Command on Monday said it had arrested 10 suspects over the attacks across some motor parks in the state on the premise of the forceful takeover of the parks.

SP Yemisi Opalola, the Command’s Spokesperson, in a statement, said five guns, nine live and four expended cartridges and five cutlasses were recovered from the suspects.

“This is to inform the general public that the Osun State Police Command is aware and frowns at the crises that erupted within the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) in the state in the early hours of today (Monday).

The Commissioner of Police, the Area Commanders, Divisional Police Officers, and other stakeholders had met with the NURTW executive, members and other stake holders to avert the crisis and forceful take-over of the parks in the state.

“All consented to maintain peace, but it was a surprise to learn about the attacks by NURTW members in several parts of the state with attendant destruction of offices and injury to some persons and police personnel.

“The CP, Faleye Olaleye, swiftly charged the Area Commanders, Divisional Police Officers and Tactical Commanders to ensure the situation is brought under control and arrest culprits.

“Consequently, the Police operatives tactical operation led to the arrest of 10 suspects and recovery of one Barretta pistol, two Pump Action guns, two Barrel guns, nine live and four expended cartridges, five cutlasses and charms,” she said

She said the CP was, however, assuring the public that the command was fully on top of the situation as mobile, conventional, tactical and patrol teams had been deployed to curtail the crises.

The CP also advised members of the public to go about their lawful businesses without fear of insecurity or attacks.

He warned that anyone found culpable in the unwarranted violence and attacks would face the full wrath of the law.

Continue Reading

Editor’s Pick

Politics

Simply Easy Learning
Simply Easy Learning