The Nigeria Customs Service(NCS), has distanced itself from rumours making the rounds that a special auction of over 7000 cars would soon be held by the Service.
The Public Relations Officer of Customs, Deputy Comptroller Timi Bomodi, made this known in a statement signed on behalf of the Comptroller General of Customs in Abuja.
He urged Nigerians to always refer to the electronic auction (e-auction) platform at https://app.trade.gov.ng/eauction/ for authentic information on auctioning.
According to him, e-auction remains the only authentic means of auctioning goods to members of the public.
“Auctions are periodic and advertised in advance on our website to avail the public the opportunity of selecting and bidding for items of their choice.
“It will be recalled that the service deployed the e-auction platform in July 2017 to improve efficiency in revenue generation to the federal government.
“It was also deployed to provide equal opportunities to all Nigerians in the seamless disposal of seized and condemned, and overtime and abandoned cargoes.
“Since its implementation, the e-auction has lived up to expectations by guaranteeing transparency and integrity in the auctioning process,” Bomodi said.
The spokesperson said that the requirements to take part in the e-auction bidding process by interested members of the public were clear.
He said that applicants must process a valid Tax Identification Number (TIN), issued by Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), with an active e-mail account.
Bomodi added that the conditions and terms of the auction must be carefully considered by an interested person before acceptance.
Bomodi further said an applicant must have an authentic and nationally accepted means of identification.
He explained that those means of identification include an international passport, driver’s license, national identity card or voter card.
Bomodi referred the public to the service’s e-auction portal at https://app.trade.gov.ng/eauction/ for further guidelines.
Bomodi used the opportunity to call on owners of uncleared vehicles at the various ports to avail themselves of the VIN-Valuation protocols to clear them.
He said the clearance procedure had been simplified, automated and made more user-friendly.
In another development, the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Ogun Command, said that six persons died while two others sustained injuries in an accident that involved two vehicles on Idiroko-Ota Expressway.
The Sector Commander of FRSC, Mr Ahmed Umar, who confirmed the incident to the newsmen on Monday in Ota, said that the accident happened at about 1.20 p.m.
Umar said that the accident, which occurred at the Olokuta area on Idiroko-Ota Expressway, involved a tanker laden with gas and a Volvo 626, both registration numbers not visible due to the nature of the crash.
The sector commander said that eight people were involved in the accident, in which six persons died, while two males sustained various degrees of injuries.
“The six corpses of the victims were trapped under the crash vehicle but rescue operations are ongoing to recover them.
“However, the injured victims were taken to hospital for medical attention,” he said.
Umar attributed the suspected cause of the crash to wrongful overtaking, which led to a head-on collision.
He cautioned the public against acts that could led to the explosion as gas is spilling out seriously and making the rescue operation difficult.
Umar said that the fire service was contacted immediately, and the scene of the crash had been conned to avert the secondary crash.
He said that the FRSC operatives were fully on the ground managing the situation and making effort to remove the trapped bodies.
Umar advised motorists to drive cautiously and remain calm, urging them to cooperate with FRSC personnel pending when the situation would be put to order.