Connect with us

crime

Wimbledon champion Becker jailed over bankruptcy

Published

on

Wimbledon champion Becker jailed over bankruptcy

Three-time Wimbledon champion Boris Becker has been jailed for two-and-a-half years for hiding 2.5 million pounds (3.14 million dollars) worth of assets and loans to avoid paying his debts.

The 54-year-old former world number one was declared bankrupt on June 21 in 2017.

He was owing creditors almost 50 million pounds, over an unpaid loan of more than three million dollars on his estate in Mallorca, Spain.

Becker transferred almost 427,000 euro (450,400 dollars) from his business account to others, including those of his ex-wife Barbara and estranged wife Sharlely “Lilly” Becker.

The father-of-four also failed to declare his share in a one million pounds property in his hometown of Leimen, Germany and hid an 825,000 euros bank loan – worth 1.1 million pounds with interest.

He also concealed 75,000 shares in a tech firm, valued at 66,000 pounds.

Becker was handed a two-year suspended sentence for tax evasion and attempted tax evasion worth 1.7 million euros in Germany in 2002.

Now he was found guilty of four offences under the Insolvency Act between June 21 and Oct. 3, 2017, earlier this month.

Judge Deborah Taylor sentenced the six-time Grand Slam champion to two-and-a-half years imprisonment, of which he will serve half, at Southwark Crown Court on Friday.

Referring to his previous conviction, the judge said: “You did not heed the warning you were given and the chance you were given by the suspended sentence and that is a significant aggravating factor.”

She told Becker: “I take into account what has been described as your fall from grace.

“You have lost your career and reputation and all of your property as a result of your bankruptcy.”

But she added: “You have not shown remorse, acceptance of your guilt and have sought to distance yourself from your offending and your bankruptcy.

“While I accept your humiliation as part of the proceedings, there has been no humility.”

Becker, wearing a striped tie in the Wimbledon colours of purple and green, showed no emotion before being taken down to the cells.

He earlier arrived holding the hand of partner Lilian de Carvalho Monteiro, while his eldest son Noah was also in court.

Following his retirement, Becker coached current men’s world number one Novak Djokovic, worked as a TV sports commentator for broadcasters including the BBC and acted as a brand ambassador for firms such as Puma.

His barrister Jonathan Laidlaw QC said the tennis star’s “fall from grace” was “the most public humiliation”.

“Boris Becker has literally nothing and there is also nothing to show for what was the most glittering of sporting careers and that is correctly termed as nothing short of a tragedy,” he said.

“These proceedings have destroyed his career entirely and ruined any further prospect of earning an income.

“His reputation is in tatters.

He will not be able to find work and will have to rely on the charity of others if he is to survive.”

Becker told jurors his 50 million dollars career earnings were swallowed up by an expensive divorce to his first wife Barbara, child maintenance payments and “expensive lifestyle commitments.”

The German national, who has lived in Britain since 2012, said he was “shocked” and “embarrassed” when he was declared bankrupt.

 

He claimed he had co-operated with trustees tasked with securing his assets, even offering up his wedding ring, and relied on the advisers who managed his life.

However, Becker was found guilty of four charges, including removal of the property, two counts of failing to disclose estate and concealing debt.

Prosecutor Rebecca Chalkley said the jury had found he acted “deliberately and dishonestly”.

But she added: “Even now, Mr Becker is still seeking to blame others when it was obviously his duty.”

The court heard he received 1.13 million euros from the sale of a Mercedes car dealership he owned in Germany into a business account used as his “piggy bank” for his personal expenses.

They included 7,600 pounds on children’s school fees, almost 1,000 pounds at Harrods, and payments made to Ralph Lauren, Porsche, Ocado and a Chelsea children’s club.

He also paid 48,000 euros for an ankle operation at a private Swiss clinic and spent 6,000 euros at a luxury golf resort in China, the court heard.

Becker was acquitted of 20 charges, including nine counts of failing to hand over trophies and medals from his tennis career.

He said he did not know the whereabouts of the memorabilia, including the 1985 Wimbledon title that catapulted him to stardom at the age of 17.

Becker was also cleared of failing to declare a second German property, as well as his interest in the 2.5 million pounds Chelsea flat occupied by his daughter Anna Ermakova.

She was conceived during Becker’s sexual encounter with waitress Angela Ermakova at London restaurant Nobu in 1999.

Laidlaw said Becker had not spent money on a “lavish lifestyle” but used funds to pay child maintenance, lawyers, business expenses and rent.

“He was in desperate financial straits and what in essence he has done is exercised his own choice as to which creditors to pay.

“Choosing or preferring to my monies to dependents rather than allowing the joint trustees to determine how those monies should be applied,” he added.

 

– dpa

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement Simply Easy Learning
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

crime

INSECURITY: Gunmen Kidnap Traditional Ruler in Ondo State; Shoot scores in Delta Mosque

Published

on

Gunmen kidnap traditional ruler in Ondo State

…Police says only 11 worshippers injured in attack***

 Gunmen have abducted a 66-year-old traditional ruler, Oba Clement Olukotun, the Oloso of Oso, at Ajowa-Akoko, in Akoko North-West Local Government Area of Ondo State.

The abductors allegedly stormed the traditional ruler’s residence at about 10.15 p.m. on Thursday and whisked him away to an unknown destination.

A family source revealed that the gunmen shot sporadically and destroyed the palace’s main door to gain access into his residential area before perpetrating the act.

According to the source, the gunmen knocked on the door and asked the occupants to open the door.

“But when the assailants realised that the occupants were not ready to obey their command, they shot at the main door and destroyed it.

The source, which explained that the gunshot pellets pierced the door and wall into the living room, said that none of the occupants was hit or injured.

“When they came, they surrounded the building and started ordering the king and other occupants to open the door and surrender willingly, but nobody answered. At this point, they started shooting.

“They destroyed the main door and entered. They terrorised Kabiyesi and his family members before dragging him out and taking him away.

“As at this morning, none of the family members had been contacted, but we knew they were kidnappers,” he said.

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer(PPRO), Ondo State Command, SP Funmilayo Odunlami, confirmed the incident.

“It is true but the details of the incident are still not clear.

“However, police from the Divisional Police headquarters at Oke-Agbe, headquarters office Akoko Northwest Local Government Area of Ondo State, have been deployed in the town to launch investigation into the incident,” Odunlami said.

In another development, Unidentified gunmen early Friday morning, attacked a mosque in Ughelli, Delta state, leaving 11 worshippers injured.

A resident who spoke on the attack said it took place at about 6.47 am when some Muslim faithful were holding their morning prayers at the Central Mosque, located along Okoroda street in Ughelli.

The resident who gave his name simply as Larry, said many residents were jolted from their sleep by gunshots followed by loud cries from people inside the mosque.

Senate-President-Ahmed-Lawan

“My name is Larry, I am a commercial vehicle driver here in Ughelli. I live very close to the central mosque, so this morning at about 6.45 am we heard a shooting at the mosque.

“Because of fear, many people in my compound were frightened and we remained inside only peeping through our windows.

“As the shooting lasted, we heard loud cries from some worshippers inside the mosque,” Larry said.

According to him, after the invaders left, many residents thronged to the mosque in their numbers to see what happened.

He said residents helped to evacuate injured worshippers, adding that those that survived the attack suffered severe injuries.

Larry said that some of the worshippers told residents that three of their fellow worshippers were taken away by the gunmen.

When contacted, the Delta police spokesperson, DSP Bright Edafe, confirmed the attack to NAN but said that only 11 worshippers were injured in the attack.

He, however, did not confirm the abduction of three worshippers.

“I just called the DPO at Ughelli and he confirmed to me that 11 persons were injured in the attack at the mosque.

“However, the police have commenced investigation into the incident and we will update you as we work to unravel the culprits.

“For now, no arrest has been made but I can assure you that we will get those involved,” Edafe said.

Continue Reading

crime

Editor’s Pick: Man, 50 jailed 4 months for stealing chewing gums

Published

on

Editor's Pick: Man, 50 jailed 4 months for stealing chewing gums

A 50-year-old man, Adamu Habib was on Tuesday sentenced to four months imprisonment by an Upper Area Court, Karu, Abuja for stealing two packs of ”Orbit” gum, worth N12,840.

The convict, who resides in Garki Village, pleaded guilty to theft.

Delivering judgment, the judge, Malam Ishaq Hassan gave the convict an option of N10,000 fine and warned him to desist from committing crime.

Hassan also ordered the convict to pay N12,840 in compensation.

The Prosecution Counsel, Mr. Olarewaju Osho, told the court that the complainant, Joseph Sunday of “Faxx Supermarket, Abuja, reported the matter at the Durumi Police Station on Nov. 7.

Osho said on Oct. 18, the convict stole two packs of ”Orbit” gum, worth N12,840.

He said that during routine police investigation, the convict admitted to committing the offence.

The offense, he said, contravened the provisions of Section 287 of the Penal Code.

Continue Reading

crime

Police Arrest 30 Suspected Railway Vandals

Published

on

Hoes and Guns: Police confirm 8 killed in farmers, herders clash in Borno

The Railway Police Command on Monday said that 30 suspected railway vandals were arrested between September and October 2022.

This is contained in a statement issued by CP Yetunde Longe, the Commissioner of Police for the Command.

President Muhammadu Buhari had given directives to all service chiefs and Nigeria Police Force to safeguard the railway infrastructure across the federation.

“Following the directives from the President, the Inspector General of Police, Usman Baba Alkali, directed the Railway Police Command to engage the Direct Action Response Tactics (DART), to effectively protect the railway corridors from vandals.

“The command recorded big success on Sept.8, acting upon credible information, as men of the Railway Police Command swooped on some criminal elements that had been involved in recurrent vandalism and theft of railway iron sleepers at the section KM 1086 Sheme Town in Faskari LGA of Kastina State; leading to the arrest of 14 suspects.

“It was gathered that the suspects after their exchange of fire with the policemen abandoned a trailer truck with Reg. No. Nasarawa LFA 307XB and a Sharon car.

“However, further relentless combing of the crime scene led to the arrest of the suspects on Sept. 10,” she said.

The CP identified the suspects as Muhammed Lawan, 35; Umar Garba, 28; Sahana iliyasu, 22; Bashiru Abdulrahaman, 20; Dauda Musa, 27; Ahmad Sani  21; Muhammed Haruna 20.

Others are Gaddafi Bala, 21; Ali Umar, 25; Wudeama Tahiru, 23; John Jaccob, 22; Ezekiel Gumeret, 26; and Sulaimon Musa, 20.

“Similarly, on Sept. 26, 2022, the Rigasa Railway Divisional Police Headquarters arrested five suspects in connection with the vandalism of some window frames at Gidan Buse substation,” she said.

Longe identified the suspects as Sadi Mohammed, 26; Nasiru Yakubu, 35; Yau Ibrahim 26; while two others: Buhari Samlia, 25;  and Aliyu Abdulahi, 24 were also arrested for the same crime on Oct.17, 2022.

The police commissioner said that the police officers at the Funtua Railway Police Division, Katsina State.

The commissioner added that her men also raided the hideout of some  notorious railway vandals and arrested four suspected vandals  who were in possession of 100  railway iron sleepers and 60 cut-to-size triangular iron pieces belonging to the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC)

The CP said that on Nov. 4 and 14, “Men of the Kafanchan Railway Police Division and the men of the Nigerian Army School of Artillery intercepted two trucks with Registration numbers: MJB-367XA & DAL-754ZX.

“The trucks were loaded with 45 and 37-long rail irons respectively. Three suspects each: Adamu Lawal,32; Tajudeen Yusuf,27; Sulieman Lawal,19; Abdulkadir Idris  45; Garba Sule,37; and Bilyaminu Ahmadu,37; were arrested in connection with the crime,” she said.

The CP said that the Bauchi Divisional Headquarters upon a credible tip-off also intercepted a J5 bus with registration number XC318BAU.

“The suspects in the bus upon sighting the policemen fled, abandoning the bus loaded with 50 pieces of Railway sleepers concealed with firewood.

“The bus and exhibits have been taken into police custody, while investigations to apprehend the suspects continue.

“Recently, Port Harcourt Railway Police Division also made an arrest of one suspect at the Port Harcourt Railway station.

“The suspect, James Wisdom, 25; was caught stealing some seats of first-class train coaches parked at the railway station,” Longe said.

The commissioner of police said that investigations would be swiftly concluded and the culprits would be duly charged to court.

Continue Reading

Editor’s Pick

Politics

Simply Easy Learning
Simply Easy Learning