Connect with us

Health and Safety

Madagascar: 34 die in tropical storms-OCHA

Published

on

Madagascar: 34 die in tropical storms-OCHA

Two separate tropical weather systems in Madagascar have left at least 34 dead and triggered flooding and landslides, particularly in the capital, Antananarivo, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) reported on Tuesday.

Over the last week, intense rainfall has pummelled the African island country in the Indian Ocean, sparking multiple crises across the country’s central Analamanga Region.

“The Government, municipal authorities in Antananarivo and humanitarians are mobilising assistance to people impacted by flooding in the capital,” OCHA tweeted, saying that “providing access to water, food and other vital items in displacement sites is the top priority.”

The rains were initially driven by an Intertropical Convergence Zone around the equator on Jan. 17 and increased when a Tropical Depression, or cyclone, made landfall in the east of the country some three days later, exiting the other side of the island the following day.

Twenty-four lives were lost over the weekend, mostly in the capital where traditional houses collapsed, and others were swept away by landslides.

According to authorities, over 62,000 people have been affected in seven regions, including more than 58,000 in the Analamanga Region and its surrounding metropolitan area.

Meanwhile, over 6,800 houses are under water and many others are at risk of flooding or collapsing.

More than 35,260 people have been forced to take shelter in 62 displacement sites established by the authorities, according to the National Office for Risk and Disaster Management.

OCHA said that nearly 27,000 people were displaced or evacuated last weekend alone, adding that the government continues to carry out preventive evacuations in Antananarivo which is on red alert for further flooding.

As river waters are increasing to emergency levels, the red alert had prompted the Ministry of Education to extend the suspension of classes which was previously announced on Jan. 20 for 48 hours in the Analamanga Region until at least Friday.

The rains had also damaged roads and other infrastructure in that region, including the water intake structure of the treatment station in Ambohidratrimosome District.

Some parts of the national road connecting the capital to Ambatondrazaka in the country’s east were also destroyed, impacting transport in and out of Antananarivo.

Meanwhile, one million people in the south are facing severe hunger.

The World Food Programme (WFP) recently warned that the situation in southern Madagascar could become the first-ever famine caused by climate change.

“The world cannot look away. People in Madagascar need our support now, and into the future,” said Issa Sanogo, the UN Humanitarian Coordinator in the country.

According to Sanogo, there is a critical need to scale up a humanitarian response as the country is in its lean season which runs until April.

Across Madagascar, heavy rainfall is expected to continue and could affect many regions in the days ahead, including Alaotra, Betsiboka, Mangoro, and Sofia, according to Meteo Madagascar and other weather services.

The Tropical Depression that left the country on Jan. 23 has evolved into the Moderate Tropical Storm Ana and is still causing rains in Madagascar.

“Tropical Storm Ana made landfall yesterday in Nampula Province, northern Mozambique, bringing heavy rains and strong winds,” OCHA tweeted, warning that it could “affect thousands of people in the northern and central regions of the country in the coming hours and days”.

Meanwhile, Meteo Madagascar and the Red Cross Piroi Centre are monitoring other tropical weather systems currently in the southwest of the Indian Ocean, which could lead to the formation of tropical storms or even cyclones in the coming days.

 

Health and Safety

FRSC: 5,421 People Killed, 21,580 Arrested As Nigeria Records 9,570 Road Crashes In 2024

Published

on

FRSC: 5,421 People Killed, 21,580 Arrested As Nigeria Records 9,570 Road Crashes In 2024

…A frightening death average, of more than 14 persons per day!

 The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) says it had arrested no fewer than 21,580 traffic offenders between January and December 2024 across the 36 states and Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

The FRSC Corps Marshal, Malam Shehu Mohammed disclosed this while addressing the reporters on the 2024 special patrol operations on Monday in Abuja.

Mohammed said that the Corps recorded a reduction in the number of offenders recorded in 2024 as against 29,220 within the same period in 2023.

“This signifies a 26 per cent increase in compliance with traffic rules and regulations.

“The total number of offences committed stood at 25,942 representing a 23.5 per cent reduction in traffic law violation compared to the data of the same period in 2023,” he said.

Mohammed said that the analysis of the Corps’ annual performance indicated a drastic reduction in Road Traffic Crashes (RTCs).

This, he said, was as well as in the number of people injured compared to the annual record of 2023.

“From Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2024, a total of 9,570 RTCs were recorded nationwide. This figure is against 10,617 RTCs recorded in 2023 which signify a tremendous reduction of 10 per cent.

“Furthermore, 31,154 people were injured in 2024 while 31,874 were injured in 2023 representing a two percent decrease.

“However, the Corps recorded a seven per cent increase in fatalities as 5,421 people were killed in 2024 while 5,081 people were killed in 2023.

“Meanwhile, a total of 70,530 people got involved in RTCs in 2024 compared to 70,092 in 2023 signifying an increase of one per cent, ” he said.

The FRSC boss emphasised that out of the total fatalities that occurred in 2024, 411 deaths, representing 7.6 per cent of the total deaths, were not primarily caused by the crashes.

Mohammed said that the crashes were caused by a secondary factor which he described as the very monster the Corps was fighting; scooping of fuel from fallen tankers.

“This, therefore implies that without the casualties recorded from scooping fuel from crashed tankers, the Corps would have recorded 5,010 deaths in 2024.

“This will be as against 5,081 in 2023 signifying a 1.4 per cent reduction in the total number of people killed,” he said.

The FRSC Corps Marshal reiterated that the alarming rate of crashes and fatalities occurred as a result of the loading of trailers with goods and persons.

This, he said in addition to fatigue, speed violations, overloading, dangerous driving as well as poor vehicle maintenance within the period under review. 

Continue Reading

Health and Safety

AREPO: Police Deploy Team To Rescue Kidnapped Wife Of Ex-AIG Odumosu

Published

on

Why I kidnapped Kaduna Catholic Priest – Suspect

The Police Command in Ogun says it has deployed a team of officers to the scene of Thursday’s kidnap of Mrs Odumosu, wife of retired AIG Hakeem Odumosu.

The Command’s spokesperson, CSP Omolola Odutola, disclosed this in a statement in Abeokuta on Friday.

Odutola said the victim, a resident of Aminu Street, Orange Estate, Arepo, Obafemi Owode Local Government Area, was kidnapped at about 9.55 p.m. on Thursday while entering her home.

She explained that four masked men attacked and dragged her out of her Lexus Sports Utility Vehicle, taking her through a swampy area to an unknown location.

“The Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Warewa Division, has led policemen to the scene where they are currently searching the swampy bush area,” she said.

According to the spokesperson, the DPO had also contacted the Warewa and Maaba community heads to deploy local security forces to the riverine area.

“Further updates will be provided,” she said.

Odutola said the state Commissioner of Police, Lanre Ogunlowo, had been briefed and that all operations had been deployed to assist with digital intelligence to ensure the victim’s rescue. 

Continue Reading

Health and Safety

NSCDC Nabs 36 Scavengers With Weapons, Illicit Drugs, In FCT

Published

on

NSCDC Nabs 36 Scavengers With Weapons, Illicit Drugs, In FCT

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) has apprehended 36 scavengers over alleged possession of weapons and illicit drugs in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

The Commandant, NSCDC FCT Command, Dr Olusola Odumosu, disclosed this, on Friday in Abuja, saying the suspects were caught in various areas of the FCT.

The FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, had prohibited activities of scavengers in the FCT and suspended two weeks of operations of pan-takers across the city.

Odumosu said that items allegedly recovered from the suspects included four daggers, three Jack knives, two chisels and, three knives.

Others are narcotic drugs, ten bottles of codeine syrup, 45 wraps of cannabis sativa, thrash bags and pieces of iron rods.

“The suspects are currently being investigated and profiled and I will ensure that due diligence is followed in their prosecution,” Odumosu assured.

The corps commandant advised FCT residents to dispose of refuse through the appropriate waste management companies and stop patronising scavengers, popularly called “Baba Nbola” for the sake of safety.

He said that their detention was necessitated to nip vandalism and theft of public infrastructure such as manhole covers, streetlights, solar panels, armoured cables and other assets in the bud.

Odumosu said that the suspects roam the streets of the FCT, perpetrating all forms of criminal activities under the guise of scavenging.

“Most of these scavengers are dangerous elements that must be flushed out of the FCT if we want crime to abate.

“The public should note that, although they appear innocent, harmless and vulnerable, most of them are extremely dangerous, their activities are criminal and they constitute threats to the nation.

“They go about the nooks and crannies of the city scavenging for plastics, scrap metals and irons, but from previous arrests, interrogations and investigations we realised that their real business is to vandalise infrastructure.

“This has resulted in the untimely death and maiming of many innocent Nigerians,” he said.

The commandant further said that investigations also revealed that these scavengers serve as informants to criminals.

“They also assess and profile you through the kind of household waste products you dispose of, which in most cases reveals your status and lifestyles,” he said.

Odumosu urged residents to join hands with the corps and other security agencies to flush out these dangerous elements in the FCT.

“Chase scavengers away whenever you see them in front of your houses, streets, neighbourhoods or estates.

“Give us relevant information about any suspicious movements or activities of these criminal scavengers who have been restricted to operate at dump sites only,” the commandant said. 

Continue Reading

Editor’s Pick

Politics